Shots Fired...T3 338 Win Mag.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Well,I took the 338 Win Mag T3 out this evening and tossed a few down range. She roots you pretty good in the recoil department . It's not un-manageable by any means though. Weighing in at 7 3/4lbs, it eclipses my 300 Ultra M700 by 2 lbs . I just may have found a new Colorado elk rifle.
001-2.jpg

I took a handfull of 225gr Hornadys along and laid into it. The first 3 rounds were 74gr of RL19 and a Fed Mag primer. #1 went high left. I made a couple adjustments to the VXII 3X-9X and fired the 2 lowest holes in the group. Up 4 clicks and 3 rounds of 74.5gr of the same powder and primer. The ones low in the 10 ring,but not too shabby I must say. I think she's gonna make a huntin' rig . I'm looking forward to working with a few of the lighter .338 pills on the market these days. Could be fun.
002-1.jpg

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I almost got a Tikka in 338 WM, but went with the 300 WM just cause a buddy said his 338 WM Tikka T3 kicked like a mule. Anyways, I have never been all that recoil sensitive so I am sure I could swing the 338 WM in TIkka over my Ruger and save a pound or two, but as my beater gun the Rugers are tough as nails and make a good boat/ATV gun.

Looks like that Tikka of yours shoots like any other TIkka I have seen......fantastic!!! I assume you already put a limbsaver pad on it??

Congrats on the new rifle.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
No I haven't yet. Thinking I'm a gonna though. They sure are a shoulder saver. This little fella "Hurts" more than my M700 300 RUM. But,like you I assume the recoil as a by product of performance. The 338 already has a name. All my pet rifles get one if they earn it. From here on in she's gonna be "Clubber". Cruncher's little sister.

BuckSnort

WKR
Nice, I love my Tikka..

I see you have a few Tikka's... FWIW you might consider ditching the factory rings, they can slip... I bough a set of Talley Lightweights for mine

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Go for it. I'm liking mine. Oh it kicks a mite,but the weight is fantastic. I'm off to the local gun and shooting emporium Saturday to pick up some lighter bullets to play with. I hope to have a couple good targets to post up next week.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good group once you got it dialed in. Doesn't look like the recoil was making you flinch.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
I may pick one up for it in the future. Some of the fellas at work think it need s a brake as well. I hate to add any length or weight to her. For hunting purposes it should be fine without a brake. I do have a T3 7 Remmy that I would like to brake for an elk rifle for my daughter. I'm not so much concerned about her standing the recoil in the taking of game. It's more of a way to encourage good practice habits and enjoying shooting the rifle in the off season.

B

bearguide

i hate brakes, but the packmire or limb saver is great. you are making great groups so i would say you do not have a problem with recoil. 338 is a good rifle and very versitile. my wife rebecca loves hers.. she shoots the 225 gr also.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Took the 338 out for a quicky this afternoon. I picked up some 200gr SSTs to play with. Loaded pretty mild should I decide to take a whitetail or two with it. Not too shabby. I'm tempted to try a few of the 185gr Barnes just for giggles.
043.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
TT, A friend and I experimented with those Barnes 185's shooting a Rem 700 but couldn't get them to group. Switched to the Noslers 185 (or 180- not at home to look) and got 1" groups so he went with those. This get's better...

Looking at the ballistics charts, he was supposed to be able to shoot as flat as my 7mm shooting 150's. We go to the 500 yard range and set up. We both sighted at 3.25" high at 100 yards then moved out to the 500 yard target.

I'm 25" low at 500 with the 7mag- right at predicted in the ballistics charts.

He is 16" low at 500!- 9 inches better than predicted.

We couldn't believe it. We shot several 3 shot groups at that yardage and they all averaged about 16" low (groups were less than 5" or so). If you follow guns, that trajectory is on par with the Ultra-Mags and the 30-378 Weatherby.

That was in 2002. He's still shooting that load today for deer, elk. What a gun! Don't know if the results can be duplicated, but if they could, you would love that load. Best of luck and keep us posted. Great having you on the forum.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Thank you,this is a super forum and I'm tickled to be here. That sounds great! 16" at 500yds. Mmm mmm mmm. I too have come to appreciate the 150gr Ballistic tip from the 7 Rem Mag. It took a little time,but I finally warmed up to the round. Performance like that from the old 338 Winny could cut my usage of the 7 Remmy by a fair amount. I've been toying with different combinations for my dream Muley hunt here in a couple more years,(gonna take 9 points min.) I've kinda come over to the 150gr 7 mag primary with maybe a 25/06 backup. 110 AccuBond over a stiff charge of H4831 SC. Now I'm thinking the venerable old 338 may get a little more attention. Oh I know it's a bit of a bruiser for deer hunting. Though I like those drop figures. I've been told the smart money is on the 300 Ultra I call Cruncher. It just loves 180gr Noslers over 89gr of RL22. If we can limit shots to 300yds or so the 7mm would be a nice handy rifle for the job. If not,that big old .30 just can't be topped. Not out of my gun safe anyway.

Last edited:

T43

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter just won a Sako A7 300 WSM. I tried to talk her into trading it for something smaller that she can shoot when she gets old enough but she loves the gun. I'm now trying to figure out how to make it shootable for her. If you put on a limbsaver let me know how much it helps.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
T43,
I haven't been around the limbsavers. I hate muzzlebrakes due to noise, BUT, I have to admit they can make a kid's gun out of the bigger calibers. I've seen a few brakes installed post-factory by qualified gunsmiths and they seemed good.

How'd she win the gun?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Tikkas,
I've been with him on two mule deer hunts where he killed a 27" buck at 300 yards and a 33" buck at 150 yards with the 338 & the light Noslers mentioned above. Big entry holes but really no more damage than what I've seen with my 7mm Rem. He was worried about overkill on deer when he first started shooting that load, but not now.