Shots he'll vs muzzleloader primers

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
I was about to purchase a ml from a local shop and he mentioned that 209shotshelll primers work unreliably in guns vs 209 ml primers. Said it ignites too hot and shoots thru the powder, crating a possible squib like scenario. (maybe it's called something else, but squib seems descriptive enough. I spent some effort looking for shotshell primers and found some (cheddite/w209) was I incorrect in assuming the shotshelll primers would be reliable in one of the cva guns setup for 209 primers? .

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Well, yes and no, but you’ll not get a squib load. ML209 primers are better for 777 and pyrodex. They aren’t as hot and helps cut down on the dreaded crud ring. Personally, if I was gonna shoot a muzzleloader with a black powder substitute I’d go to blackhorn and use regular 209 primers. Preferably a magnum primer.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
he mentioned that 209shotshelll primers work unreliably in guns vs 209 ml primers.
Biggest myth ever created about muzzleloading. Do you realize the number of times full strength 209s have been used to win ML shooting events? We are talking NMLRA events on a national level too.

The myth they are too powerful and move the projectile before igniting powders like Triple7 is absurd. If that was the case why do they work fine using BH209 which is even harder to ignite? :ROFLMAO:

I’ve personally only had hang/misfires with specific muzzleloader.209 primers never an issue with regular or the .209m’s

I started using shotgun primers this season in my ML with 777. Had a misfire in 2020 on an old drop tine buck using a ML primer 🤮. Switching to the shotgun primers did not change my bullet point of impact for me either (I was concerned it might change things slightly). I plan on sticking with the regular shotgun primers moving forward - hope that helps.