Should I be worried?

These have been popping up around where I walk my rifle! Is this something that’s actually possible or just the land owner trying to scare people off?

It’s a well used public road through a private ranch.

Anyone else see things like this??

Attachments

• 452C1A58-68F0-48DD-868D-1A25710802FA.jpeg
    452C1A58-68F0-48DD-868D-1A25710802FA.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 245

def90

WKR
If it's a private ranch with a public road easement it could be an issue. Is this in otherwise USFS land or just your usual public county land? I would contact the local authorities to see where the legalities lie. Around here you can't park along regular county roads.

OP
406RoadToad
So it’s a regular road to a well marked forest service access point. There’s the regular “private property next 6 miles” where the road turns to dirt and goes towards the access point. There’s maybe 4 signs along the 6 miles that just sprouted up this year.

As the snow melts off people typically will go up the road as far as the snow allows before they park and walk in the rest of the way. Road is never blocked by parked cars and I’ve never seen a vehicle parked more than the easements “thirty feet from center of road”

Additionally I’ve never come across more than three vehicles parked at the trail head at a time so I find it hard to believe it’s a “overcrowding” issue.

Here in MT I know we have a “48 hour” rule along interstates and highways where after 48 hours your vehicle can be towed for public safety but I can’t imagine that’s the case here.

cmahoney

WKR
That’s a generic sign someone bought online. Do you see where it says “CVC” at the bottom next the the blank “police” line? CVC stands for California vehicle code, obviously not applicable in your state. Those are like the signs private businesses or apartment complexes post.

If it was a state or local municipality sign, they would have the appropriate ordinance at the bottom instead of CVC.

Looks like BS to me, but whatever agency patrols that road would be able to confirm better than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every road in Ca has a 15 foot right of way on both sides of the road. In short, you can park alongside the roadway (but off the roadway) on either side, unless it is legally signed that you cannot.

In this case, some people there just don't like outsiders using their road. I would make sure my 360 degree dashcam was on in park Mode to film them, incase they decide on being vandals.

Private landowners have no authority in the right of way of a public roadway. Even if it is a dirt road or now a field road, but still has an easement held by a gov. entity. Been down this "road" several times, personally and as a state employee.

Stay within the easement and you are good.

I’d definitely contact the agency that manages that road. The landowner could be forced to take them down or possibly be fined. I don’t think people are allowed to just put up signs on public roads. I’m no lawyer, call the county (state… whoever).

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let’s just look at the legality of towing a vehicle. I doubt a private citizen can hire a tow for a vehicle on public property. If that land owner just drags your truck off into his/her property with their tractor then it becomes theft.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So it’s a regular road to a well marked forest service access point. There’s the regular “private property next 6 miles” where the road turns to dirt and goes towards the access point. There’s maybe 4 signs along the 6 miles that just sprouted up this year.
It's a "private ranch" with just access "through" the ranch to access public. There should never be a reason to park on the road in that section unless you break down. So ya, if I'm the rancher and there's vehicles parked there I'd assume that they parked and trespassed. Nobody is going to park and then walk the road to the public access unless they broke down and there's facilities ahead or behind to contact help.

It's a "private ranch" with just access "through" the ranch to access public. There should never be a reason to park on the road in that section unless you break down. So ya, if I'm the rancher and there's vehicles parked there I'd assume that they parked and trespassed. Nobody is going to park and then walk the road to the public access unless they broke down and there's facilities ahead or behind to contact help.
One of us missed something. It could be me.
- I thought he said that in the early part of the season the road is still snowed in beyond the private so people park and walk in.
- If they are parking in the easement it’s not up to anyone to assume anything. They are in the easement and that’s none of the ranchers business. If they do actually trespass it’s a different story. Assuming someone is trespassing because they parked near your land is like assuming I’m shoplifting because I’m in the store and have pockets.

Scoot

WKR
5Mile, look at post #3, second paragraph. People park on the road because there's too much snow to drive farther. Then they hike in the rest of the way.

I'd make sure I knew how wide the actual easement was before I felt comfortable parking there.

Could be a seasonal thing too where if you park at the end of passable road and there are tracks in the snow towards public the landowner isn't concerned but doesn't want people parking there all summer.