Should I bed my Kimber Hunter?

Just picked up a used but never been shot Kimber Hunter in 280 Ackley Improved. Took it right to the gunsmith to have the barrel cut down a couple inches and threaded for a suppressor. I’ve read that some Kimbers really benefit from being bedded (even though it’s done at the factory, I’ve read it’s not done that great). He said he can put pillars in it and bed it for $250 while he has it there threading the barrel. I’ve never bedded a rifle before so I’m not sure it’s something I would want to tackle on my own. Wouldn’t want to make it worse lol.

Should I just have it done or wait and see how it shoots first? Does pretty much every Kimber need an aftermarket bedding job? Am I just going to wish I had him do it after the 1st session at the range? Thoughts?

I bedded mine, but I bed all my rifles. I think you’re better off finding the right load for it first then bedding it later. You can always do a glass bed job yourself using a kit from midway for around $40. It’s helped all of my rifles shoot a bit more accurate. The proper load will do more for accuracy than the bed job in my opinion. I love my hunter! When you get it back from the shop with the can on it post a pic.

LightFoot

WKR
That doesn't sound like a good enough price to have the bedding and pillars done while it is at the shop. Yes, shoot it and see how it performs without bedding. You may not need to. Like the previous post said, $40 and you can bed it yourself.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing the results.

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
BeaverHunter
Sounds like I will just shoot it and go from there. The barrel is nice and free floated. Is bedding really not that difficult? Never done any “customizing” of my guns myself.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot it and see how it does I have 2 kimber rifles a Hunter, and a Mountain Ascent, they both shot factory barnes ammo great fresh out of the box. I’d shoot it and see how it does.

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
I have both but for that money, on your factory barrel, I’d put that coin towards your hunt. Unless your planing on some LR pokes it’s likely unnessesary from an accuracy standpoint. Keep the weight down, work up a nice load (with your can on), and call it solid. Just my opinion🤷🏼‍♂️Love the hunters - great rig for the money.

OP
BeaverHunter
Thanks for the advice everyone. Think I’ll leave it alone for now. Hopefully have some rounds down the tube in the next couple weeks. I’ll update this thread after I do. Hopefully my suppressor doesn’t take too long. Been waiting since January and it already feels like forever.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Think I’ll leave it alone for now. Hopefully have some rounds down the tube in the next couple weeks. I’ll update this thread after I do. Hopefully my suppressor doesn’t take too long. Been waiting since January and it already feels like forever.
You might get your form 4 approved next week or next March, don't hold your breath. My 1st was 13 months and the one I'm waiting on now is at 14 months and counting. I'd shoot the Kimber 1st for sure and then tinker with it if the accuracy isn't satisfactory.

BjornF16

WKR
Kimber Montana rifles should come from factory pillar bedded.

Shoot it, then decide if you want to bed the recoil lug and front pillar.