Should I buy a Slik Sprint Mini II or....

rhendrix

WKR
...keep my vanguard MAK-203, I haven't had a chance to really use the vanguard in the field, but I love how adjustable it is...my only concern is that it's freaking loooooong. Is the Slik Sprint Mini II worth the coin I'm gonna spend on it since it will essentially cost me 127 bucks (50 for the vanguard and 77 for the Slik, since I doubt I'll be able to recoup my funds from the Vanguard anyways), or just keep the MAK 203?

Impulsive buys or a mother...

I like my Slik Sprint Mini quite a bit.. It will work just fine until I can wrap my head around spending 800$ for the Outdoorsman system... Which I want badly and will have soon :) I use my Slik every weekend and it works great... Nice, light and functional.

Solitude

WKR
The Mini is a fine, compact, pretty darn lite tripod for the few bucks it will cost you. It is not all enough to really stand behind IMO, but sitting down it works like a champ.

I went from a full sized pan head tripod on my backcountry elk hunts to a Mini, as I do not spend hours behind my spotting scope panning typically, and have zero regrets.

On a high country mule deer hunt I would lean back towards full-sized pan heads personally.

My first tripod was a Cabelas Vanguard and the Mini was a serious upgrade, but I have no idea what model Vanguard it was. Problem with the model I had was screws would come loose and in one instance one fell out and left the tripod unusable. I know, should have used some Locktight.

Hope this helps.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
I'm just concerned about the size of my full-sized pan head. I'm running a little MD50 right now, if I can swing it I may buy some vortex glass. But I doubt it.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I have the slik mini II and the pro-ez that costs about $30 more and is apound heavier, but has a nice pan head. Both are good tripods (the pro ez is stouter), I almost always pack the mini and its perfect for my MD50 IMO. Makes a decent shooting rest too :)

Can't help you much on your decision, since I've never used the Vanguard, but I'll comment a little on the Slik Mini.

I have one that I've used now for several years. I like it a lot for my uses, but the weak point is the stock ball head that comes with it. It's tiny and hard to adjust. Workable for lighter spotters like your MD50, starting to get marginal with the 65mm's and all but useless for the 80/85mm class. I replaced it with a heavier Manfrotto unit this year that cost as much as the entire tripod originally, but is a much better piece of equipment.

Also, the center section isn't really usable for spotting, as it's just too unstable that high up. I just unscrewed mine and lightened it by several oz. Still plenty of leg extension for sitting use.

I also use mine as a table top tripod for shooting from a bench, and it works fine for that.

Yk

bbrown

WKR
Can't help you much on your decision, since I've never used the Vanguard, but I'll comment a little on the Slik Mini.

I have one that I've used now for several years. I like it a lot for my uses, but the weak point is the stock ball head that comes with it. It's tiny and hard to adjust. Workable for lighter spotters like your MD50, starting to get marginal with the 65mm's and all but useless for the 80/85mm class. I replaced it with a heavier Manfrotto unit this year that cost as much as the entire tripod originally, but is a much better piece of equipment.

Also, the center section isn't really usable for spotting, as it's just too unstable that high up. I just unscrewed mine and lightened it by several oz. Still plenty of leg extension for sitting use.

I also use mine as a table top tripod for shooting from a bench, and it works fine for that.

Yk

YK nailed my thought exactly.
I have the Slik Sprint Pro II and I ditched the center post extension and plan on ordering a new head (Vanguard SB20) to replace the undersized original head. The new Vanguard head has the same quick release plates as my window mount which also conveniently fits the tripod as well if I want a pan head instead of the ball head and if weight is no object. The small head was fine with my old Leupy GR 50mm but it is too weak to hold my Swaro 65mm.
Total weight of the tripod with the new head and minus the center pole should be right at 31oz - not too bad.

aron

WKR
I have the Slik Sprint Mini II tripod and really like it. To me it is the ideal size as I don't plan to use it standing up. I ditched the original head immediately on the Slik Sprint and replaced it with a Vanguard PH21 panhead. I really like this setup with a 75mm objective spotter. The quick detach plate is also the same as my cabelas window mount.