Should I buy a spotter or upgrade my binos?

I currently have some Bushnell Engage 10x42 binos. I’m not an optics expert at all, but a lot of folks that seem to be say these perform as well as glass twice the price. I’m also adding a tripod to the setup soon.

To the specific question, should I add a spotter to the mix or upgrade the binoculars? For spotters, I’m looking at the Athlon Ares G2 UHD. If I got better binos, it would be something in the ballpark of BX-4s…maybe a higher power. My suspicion is that spending $600 on binos will only yield a marginal/barely noticeable improvement, whereas using that money for a spotter adds a whole new arrow to the quiver.

Real talk time…I am not spending $1,000 on optics. I know that’s a limiting factor, but it’s just not going to happen for a variety of reasons. These will only get ~10 days of use a year. The binos might get a bit more time in the woods for deer season, but I hunt in woods where the farthest I’m looking is 200 yards so high end binos aren’t necessary. I’m not a trophy hunter so not counting inches. This is for locating elk. The Engages were fine most of the time on our Colorado trip, but there were times when we were checking some distant ridges/peaks from the road where I really felt under-gunned.

PvilleMac

FNG
I was recently in this same boat. I went with a spotter. I realized there was nothing wrong with the binos I already had. A spotter is really nice at the range too. You dont have to walk up to your target to see where your rounds are landing.

fatrascal

WKR
So you were hunting with other people. What were they using to glass the distant peeks and ridges? Spotter? 10x42 binos? 15x56 binos? If you felt undergunned with 10x42's then we know that's not enough power. Do you feel that 5 more power, being 15x56's would make enough of an adequate difference? If not, Vortex makes an 18 power bino and used to make a 20 power bino. Maybe one of those might work out. But to answer your question and in my opinion I would not hunt without a spotting scope. I would keep 10 power bino's and get a spotter. You can cover a lot of ground with 10 power bino's. Then most spotters start at 15 or 20 power and will take you up to 45 or 60 power with the zoom. You can cover more bases with the spotter and see further than you can with 15 or 20 power bino's. Hope this helps. Fatrascal.

JohnnyB

WKR
The BX4s are surprisingly good glass. Put them on a tripod and you will be amazed. I also have Leica and Swaro. I use my Leica’s most often but when I loan friends the BX4s they are amazed.

After trying to spend a few hundred on a spotter a few years ago, I would recommend waiting till you can budget for something a little higher end. Binos on a tripod blow away cheap spotters in my opinion.

OP
G
To add context and address one of the questions posed, my hunting partners do not have nice optics. They have 8-10x binos and a VERY cheap spotter which he was about to throw it away when I explained empty magnification and had him look through my binos and his scope side by side. They were BLOWN AWAY by the Bushnell Engages lol. So, this would be the only functional spotter in the group.

Regarding budget, it’s not really a matter of budgeting or saving to get better glass. I can afford to spend more. It is just priorities and how I was raised.

Firehawk

WKR
To add context and address one of the questions posed, my hunting partners do not have nice optics. They have 8-10x binos and a VERY cheap spotter which he was about to throw it away when I explained empty magnification and had him look through my binos and his scope side by side. They were BLOWN AWAY by the Bushnell Engages lol. So, this would be the only functional spotter in the group.

Regarding budget, it’s not really a matter of budgeting or saving to get better glass. I can afford to spend more. It is just priorities and how I was raised.
That Athlon Ares Spotter is a VERY good spotting scope. It is small and easy to pack, and also has a very good view.

I don't know anything about the bino you have, but I wouldn't shy away from the spotter you mention as it is very good. Another in a similar price range to consider is the Maven CS.1

I will say, I use my binos 95% of the time and have started using 15x more often than a spotter. But a spotter is an important tool for what you mention your purposes are. Certainly, looking long from the truck, trail, etc. is a lot easier with a spotter. But you may find them hard to use for long periods of time picking apart the brush. A quality bino is much better for that duty.

Let us know what you decide to do.

FH

bigmooi

FNG
I would lean with fatrascal, do you have a good idea of what increase in power do you need...or would benefit you the most. I say if you like your binos, then I would add a spotting scope, like you said more tools in the box is always better... Being at this forum and listening to my father, good glass is never a bad investment as you can get most of your money back...maybe a good place to search is the used section, maybe you find something at a higher tier for the range you wanted to spend otherwise you can see what depreciation really is for some items... And choose more wisely, granted I have never looked through anything Athlon so my statement is more general then anything else... Maybe you can save a buck and find what you were going to get used...as I hear they will honor the warranty anyways...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

fatrascal

WKR
I have relatives come from back East and hunt from time to time and so I try to have extra optics for them to use. Just recently I bought a first generation 65mm Vortex Razor spotting scope for $600 dollars. Its a pretty decent scope and was a hell of a good deal. I also bought a pair of Leupold 10x50 santium binoculars for $450. dollars which are a 1,200 dollar bino brand new. The seller said that it had scratches on one of the objective lenses which is almost unseeable on the outside and definitely unseeable when using them. The point is that there are good deals you can find in rokslide optic classifieds as well as other websites. You don't have to spend $1000 to get $1000 glass. Watch the classifieds and when you see an item for sale look it up and research the brand new price then research the reviews on this website and you will find some decent deals. Fatrascal.

Blue72

WKR
Definitely upgrade the bino's

but if you do go for a spotting scope you can get the highly regarded Nikon ed50 with amazing glass from Japan for less then what the Athlon costs

Rimrocks

FNG
You will be amazed how much more you can see by putting your binos on a tripod. I am not familiar with your binoculars, but I have the Athlon Areis spotting scope and it is very good for the price.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bino's on a tripod would be my suggestion as well. My buddy has BX-4's- I was very pleasantly surprised how nice these were AND maybe the lightest 10x42's I've ever put my hands on.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a used set of 10x42 meopta meostars, and was amazed how much better they were than my vortex vipers. I used them free hand, and on the outdoorsman adapter. Great for finding game. That said, I need more to distinguish size of animal at distance. I’m looking at the Ares spotting scope rather than a set of big binos. For my hunting I can find the game and spend a lot of time behind the meoptas, than throw the spotter up for a closer look.

Save money and wait to buy good binos. You don’t need a spotter if you aren’t trophy hunting. If you put high end binos on a tripod you are good. Jumping from low end to mid binos probably isn’t worth it.

Jo83ben

FNG
With either option it sounds like you want/need a tripod as well. So if it were me I would put the money towards a decent tripod and bino attachment first and try that combo out. Binos on a tripod make a huge difference. And don't be afraid to buy both and try them at home in real world lighting conditions (not big box retail store lighting) and return the one you don't want. Its your money, so don't be afraid to buy, try and return the loser once you make up your mind. We did that with spotting scopes and ended up getting a gen 1 vortex razor after trying it side by side with two others (both vortex).

Now for tripods thats another tricky one, but i went with the Sirui T-024SK Compact Tripod with VA-5 Fluid Head from Camera Land NY (who are big on this forum) and my price shipped was about 250. its lightweight, compact, sturdy and the fluid head is highly respected around here.

For bino adapters I looked at them all and in the end bought the one that everyone says to get (the outdoorsmans) and def do not regret it. Its $$ but not that much more then the cheaper ones, and its super easy to use and secure. I would get the high/tall mount as it gives you a little extra height (for standing) and allows you to add larger binos in the future if you ever wanted to.

Jo83ben

FNG
I'll second the meopta meostars as mentioned above. they can be found relatively often for 500-600 bucks and are often compared to swarovski SLC's. Cabelas branded ones exist as well (uglier then anything out there) but they're the same bino and just as good, and often even cheaper used.

OP
G
I'll second the meopta meostars as mentioned above. they can be found relatively often for 500-600 bucks and are often compared to swarovski SLC's. Cabelas branded ones exist as well (uglier then anything out there) but they're the same bino and just as good, and often even cheaper used.
I just cannot get over the weight of the Meostars though I’ve been tempted by the great reviews. I’m an ounce counting backpacker and those things are 8-10 ounces more than most 10x42s. I think about how much more money I spent to get a tent, quilt, etc. that was 10 ounces less than something half the price, and that is just to much of a mental block.

For now, I am going to get a good tripod from Cameraland soon. In the meantime, I’m going to play with a borrowed one and my current binoculars at a lake where I can see several miles and reassess if I’m happy with them or not. I almost bought some BX-4s at Bass Pro the other day, but after looking through them, Viper HDs, and Conquest HDs, I just wasn’t feeling any value. Now the NL Pures were a noticeable improvement, but that was just for comparison…I’d have to hide it from my wife for life if I spent that much. I’ll keep my eyes on the classifieds and Black Friday isn’t too far off if I decide to pull the trigger.

Jo83ben

FNG
Next time you go to BP or cabelas or wherever, see if they have some Nikon HG's too. I was hugely impressed with those, and used you can find those in the 400-500 range pretty often. Probably a little light weight too. I get the weight thing cause i do the same. Thats one thing with my SLC's, is they're a lot heavier then my vortex (diamondbacks). Which isn't a surprise given the quality difference, but yeah its funny we spend way more $$ for ultralight, then when it comes to glass better usually means heavier. Best of luck man! glass shopping is always fun!

OP
G
Next time you go to BP or cabelas or wherever, see if they have some Nikon HG's too. I was hugely impressed with those, and used you can find those in the 400-500 range pretty often. Probably a little light weight too. I get the weight thing cause i do the same. Thats one thing with my SLC's, is they're a lot heavier then my vortex (diamondbacks). Which isn't a surprise given the quality difference, but yeah its funny we spend way more $$ for ultralight, then when it comes to glass better usually means heavier. Best of luck man! glass shopping is always fun!
What I listed is all they had in mid tier. Everything else was sub-400. It’s a small BP. Unfortunately, that is really it for what I can see in person. Academy hardly has anything. There are no camera or hobby shops in town.