Should I buy this rifle

RyanML

FNG
Found a guy near me selling a Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM. Stickers still on it and he says it brand new with no reason not to believe him. Also has a Vortex Copperhead 4-12x44 on it. He’s selling for $750.
It’d be my first rifle as I use my buddies right now. Only western hunt for mule deer at the moment.
This a good deal?

EDIT - Passed on the rifle and gonna go with a .308 or 6.5 with a better scope. Appreciate all the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’d say that an okay deal. I’m a stainless fan myself for mountain hunting rifle. I’d pass on the scope and see what he’d sell just the rifle for.

In the current market, that is a good price. I love my T3x in 300wsm, its been an amazing shooter. Maybe try to get it without the scope, but you could also easily sell it if you want different glass.

z987k

WKR
I'd also not want that scope. It's not worth anything imo. Also, I'd never own a non stainless hunting rifle, so there's that, and on sale you can still get a stinaless lite/SL for about $800 brand new so.... I'd probably pass. Oh and if it has a 1-11 twist, I'd very much pass.

WKR
For mountain hunting here in October, typical moisture is snow. I'd not sweat a blued rifle much. Seems like a good price. Buy it and see if you like it. If you lose $50, who cares. You need your own rifle.

EdP

WKR
As others said, the scope is worthless. Tikka t3s are pretty popular but that's a lot of cartridge in a 6 1/4 lb rifle and I suspect that is why he is selling. You can see what they are selling for by going to Gun Broker.com and what calibers are popular (its not 300WSM). There are many available in different calibers for $750 including one .270 Win, a much better match for that rifle. I'd pass on his offer.

WKR
Truth about high recoil. I saw a 6.5 creedmoor on GB for $669 new and buy it now. Son and his buddy have killed a lot of good muley bucks with a 6.5x47 and 140 Bergers. Buy that, grab a quality scope and roll on.

MHWASH

WKR
Truth about high recoil. I saw a 6.5 creedmoor on GB for $669 new and buy it now. Son and his buddy have killed a lot of good muley bucks with a 6.5x47 and 140 Bergers. Buy that, grab a quality scope and roll on.
I agree, I have both and always grab the 6.5. Especially for deer.

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with everything said here. That is not a scope I would want, particularly if you are going to shoot distance.
Thou I don’t have a Tikka, I would take one in a heartbeat. They sale new in my hometown for 799.
I also agree that a 300 wsm is overkill for deer. If you start to hunt elk and want 1 rifle, sure. If my 1st rifle was a 300 wsm in a light gun with no bake or can, I would have a pretty bad flinching habit.

grfox92

WKR
You can get a brand new Stainless at Scheels for $869. That scope is worth essentially nothing. So you are saving $120.

Is the Short Magnum what you actually want? Or are you buying it because it's thought to be a good deal? If you are settling on that gun because you think it's a deal? I wouldn't buy it to save $120. For an extra $120 you can pick whatever caliber you want in Stainless Steel.

If the gun is for deer hunting a .243 with almost no recoil would be a great choice.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Great caliber and great rifle. I would buy it.
Both of us have been shooting 300wsm since they came out for everything in Wyoming. Not too much for anything and loads can be customized for your chosen bullet, I load up 165-168 gr bonded bullets the spouse shoots 180 gr bonded bullets.
My Sako A7 is a stainless mode and his featherweight is blued, both are fine for western hunting.\
Recoil, you all must be real manly men to think it kicks too much, lol.
Great caliber for mule deer hunting and elk, with everything else thrown in.

OP
RyanML

RyanML

FNG
You can get a brand new Stainless at Scheels for $869. That scope is worth essentially nothing. So you are saving $120.

Is the Short Magnum what you actually want? Or are you buying it because it's thought to be a good deal? If you are settling on that gun because you think it's a deal? I wouldn't buy it to save $120. For an extra $120 you can pick whatever caliber you want in Stainless Steel.

If the gun is for deer hunting a .243 with almost no recoil would be a great choice.

No I haven’t looked at that caliber at all. Mostly looking at 6.5 and .308. After reading most the posts here think I’m going to pass.

OP
RyanML

RyanML

FNG

Yeah I was looking for .308 and this came up. Think I’m going to stick to my original plan. Appreciate it

OP
RyanML

RyanML

FNG

No been in the market for a .308. This just popped up and never was considering a short magnum. Gonna stay in the market for a 308 and pass. Appreciate the input