Should I change the barrel on my 30-06?

I have a Remington 700 30-06. I haven’t been able to confirm the twist rate(currently trying to get ahold of Remington) but I’ve measured the twist with a cleaning rod and I’m pretty certain it’s a 1:13 twist. I currently shoot 150grn SST but running my specs through the Berger calculator the bullet is marginally stable. I’m wanting to shoot a heavier bullet but according to the calculator the heavier I go the more unstable it gets. This leads me to the question- should I get a new barrel to shoot a heavier bullet? Looking at the Hornady book and running it through a ballistic calculator the 212 grn eldx would give me the best performance and extend my range. Does anyone have any experience shooting the 212 out of a 30-06? Or should I save the money and look at getting a new gun and just reload a smaller bullet for the 30-06?

hunting1

WKR
All the Remington's I have and seen the specs they are 1/10 twist. I have only shot up to 200 gr in mine and they shoot well.

A custom barrel will probably shoot better and you could get the chamber you want. Their 5R barrels were better than the standard run.

OP
kboatman107
All the Remington's I have and seen the specs they are 1/10 twist. I have only shot up to 200 gr in mine and they shoot well.

A custom barrel will probably shoot better and you could get the chamber you want. Their 5R barrels were better than the standard run.
I am hoping mine is a 1:10 but when I ran the cleaning rod through it I was getting a full rotation about 13”. I wonder if there is any other way to figure out the twist rate.

WCB

WKR
I'm with others on here...never heard of a 13 twist .06. Are you the only owner of the gun? someone didn't get it rechambered and barreled from something else?

Spoonbill

WKR
I have a Remington 700 30-06. I haven’t been able to confirm the twist rate(currently trying to get ahold of Remington) but I’ve measured the twist with a cleaning rod and I’m pretty certain it’s a 1:13 twist. I currently shoot 150grn SST but running my specs through the Berger calculator the bullet is marginally stable. I’m wanting to shoot a heavier bullet but according to the calculator the heavier I go the more unstable it gets. This leads me to the question- should I get a new barrel to shoot a heavier bullet? Looking at the Hornady book and running it through a ballistic calculator the 212 grn eldx would give me the best performance and extend my range. Does anyone have any experience shooting the 212 out of a 30-06? Or should I save the money and look at getting a new gun and just reload a smaller bullet for the 30-06?
Have you seen any real world examples of the bullet being unstable or is this just based on the berger calculator? Not asking to be a smartass, but if you aren’t seeing any issues, you may be chasing a solution for a non existant problem.
try shooting heavier bullets, a 40 dollar box of bullets is cheaper than a rebarrel.

OP
kboatman107
I'm with others on here...never heard of a 13 twist .06. Are you the only owner of the gun? someone didn't get it rechambered and barreled from something else?
I thought the same thing but I keep trying the cleaning rod and measure it and I keep getting right about 13. I am not the only owner. It’s a possibility it’s been changed.

OP
kboatman107
Have you seen any real world examples of the bullet being unstable or is this just based on the berger calculator? Not asking to be a smartass, but if you aren’t seeing any issues, you may be chasing a solution for a non existant problem.
try shooting heavier bullets, a 40 dollar box of bullets is cheaper than a rebarrel.
I am seeing some issue with the 150 grn SST. They shoot okay but not good enough for my liking and that’s shooting off a bench.

Spoonbill

WKR
I am seeing some issue with the 150 grn SST. They shoot okay but not good enough for my liking and that’s shooting off a bench.
If it is factory ammo, it could just be the ammo. My tikka 06 won’t group 180 sst superformance ammo but likes 165 sierra game kings. It could also be user error with the 180s since they kick more than the 165s, but try different loads before ripping off the barrel.

OP
kboatman107
If it is factory ammo, it could just be the ammo. My tikka 06 won’t group 180 sst superformance ammo but likes 165 sierra game kings. It could also be user error with the 180s since they kick more than the 165s, but try different loads before ripping off the barrel.
I reload the SSTs. The barrel likes the 150 interlocks better than SSTs but I’m wanting to shoot a heavier bullet and not sure if the barrel will allow me too. Gonna order some 212s(when I can find them) and see if they work, just don’t have high hopes.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Could probably try to count the twists with a borescope if you have one you can use.

EdP

WKR
I have an internet download of twist rates for caliber and rifle. It lists 1 in 10 for the Rem 700 .30-06. Shoot the bullets you want to use. If they are not stable you will know pretty quick from the keyholes.

260madman

WKR
I thought the same thing but I keep trying the cleaning rod and measure it and I keep getting right about 13. I am not the only owner. It’s a possibility it’s been changed.
Factory roll marks on the barrel?

OP
kboatman107
2F9AC773-8BFE-4558-B6CD-49D0AEBC8EC7.jpegI found 195 eldm and loaded them up and this was my 5 shot group at 100 yards. Going to load up some more and stretch the range a bit to see how they do.