Should I get a cot?

Looking to up my car camp setup. What are the advantages to a cot other than sitting up off the ground? Are they more comfortable than a good thick pad on the ground?

amassi

WKR
Yes get one
For truck camping I use a teton cot and teton thick pad. Sleep better than I do at home

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
Yes get one
For truck camping I use a teton cot and teton thick pad. Sleep better than I do at home

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I would be looking for something lower profile to use in a smaller tent. I see ALPS Mountaineering makes a low version.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I’d recommend getting one for truck camping for sure. Camptime roll-cot is what I’d recommend.

mmac

WKR
I have always used an air mattress that is insulated and thought it was comfy, until my elk hunt last year when it popped. Couldn’t patch it. Switched to cot. I use the same setup as rob. Cabela’s cot with pad and I sleep as good as at home. Plus easier to get in and out, stuff can go under it and if lad pops it is on cot and still has cushion so all good.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I love my cot when car camping. I use 4” memory foam on top. My back would hurt so bad after two nights that I could barely sit up in the mornings. The support of the cot and cushion of the foam makes that go away. Memory foam is also very warm overnight.

CRUN

FNG
I would vote yes, get one! I have the Slumberjack and use a Cabelas pad and a over sized bag. I’m a bigger guy and I can sit on the side of the cot while dressing or putting on my boots with no issues.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
My vote is yes get one. Sleeping on one while truck camping is amazing. Put a good pad on it That can insulate you and block the cold and you’ll be happy you spent the money. It’s a great upgrade from sleeping on the ground.

Werty

WKR
Depends on how mobile you want. I bring one sometimes, sometimes I don't. If you don't have a tent large enough, it's a pain in the ass.

If you are car camping, a cot is an awesome addition. We have done a lot of camping like that over the last 6 years or so, and cots are what elevated it from alright to awesome.

One thing I’d be sure to add is a way to insulate that cot in cooler temps. I just use my klymit insulated pad on top of my cot. Works great and keeps that draft off of me when temps dip.

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
definitely get one. Costco had some few days ago for a great price

OP
MuleyFever
What are good for Insulated and comfortable pad options for staying warm? I have a couple of Xtherms but if I’m going to go to a cot I figure there are better pad options for comfort and warmth together.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I recommend memory foam. You’ll sleep great and it is warm. I just ordered a bed-sized piece and cut it for our cots. I roll it up tight for storage and transportation.

I hate the Xtherm. I have one and on the cot I still slide around too damn much.

2227da6ff279ecd84df0e0fa2842ddcc.jpg

efnm

WKR
To answer the OP's question, the other great thing about cots is that you can store crap underneath them. It's a huge help in a shared tent.

TheCougar

WKR
I never understood the cot thing to be honest. They tend to pinch my shoulders in and aren’t any more comfortable than a thick Coleman inflatable mattress on the ground. I use a big memory foam topper on the inflatable mattress and it works like a champ.