Should I get a mini spotter for upcoming hunt

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Right now I only have a 20-60x85 Vortex razor spotter. The hunts I have this year with the wife’s and nephews tags are on the salmon River. The spot I have picked out we are going to be crossing the river and hiking up and setting up camp. It will be about 2000 feet in vertical. I’m trying to limit my weight, as I have to pack almost everything, including water.

The area is relatively open, but the hunt area we will be limited to is small, only .75 miles wide by 3 miles long due to private land. It’s very steep and dry with pockets of trees at the higher elevations. 3 miles as the crow flies across the Salmon river breaks is a long ways though. You can see some distance.

I’m definitely not going to pack my 20-60 up that, or my kaibabs. And a 15-45 range spotter isn’t much lighter. I’m looking at either the razor 11-33x50 or the Cronus 12-36x50. We will have 10x42 and 12x50 binos. It’s an either sex tag, and I don’t care if we shoot bulls or cows.

I know the field of view is limited, but do you think it’s worth it having the mini spotter for getting a better look at areas?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd think you'd be fine with just binoculars. You should be able to easily glass everything from a center position on that kind of property layout

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

If your glassing a long way those will probably make you wish you had more magnification. Depending on your expectations of course. Just want to know if it has antlers and your binoculars will probably be fine. Want to count points and the 50mm may not be enough. They kinda fall in an area where they aren’t much better than binos on a tripod and they aren’t nearly as good as a larger spotter. Just my opinion. Some people love the 50’s.

With not being picky and either sex tags I’d probably skip the spotter. That said, the little Kowa 501/502s are very light and small. Mine is a hair over 16 oz with an arca plate and the lens caps. I’m pretty dang impressed with the brightness and clarity for the size/price.
3CE427E6-439B-47C6-97F1-73AE77DA2F50.jpeg

ChrisAU

WKR
With not being picky and either sex tags I’d probably skip the spotter. That said, the little Kowa 501/502s are very light and small. Mine is a hair over 16 oz with an arca plate and the lens caps. I’m pretty dang impressed with the brightness and clarity for the size/price.
View attachment 202256

Was scrolling down to say this...plan on taking mine on an elk hunt that I've never brought a spotter on this fall just to digiscope with since it is so light.

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hadn’t seen the Kowa option. I would probably go that route instead of the razor or Cronus, just to give it a shot. I’m still leaning toward not taking a spotter.

Rizzy

WKR
For an either sex elk tag you can use just Binos if your sticking to tight country. In that area your hunting it can get big fast though. My go to light weight glassing set up for hunting is 10x binos with the Kowa 55. The Kowa is mainly for Deer.