Should I get a newer lighter can?

My 21” 300 prc should be finished in the next few months. I have been using a form 1 can recored by Ecco machine that is very effective. However, it’s 10” long, and weighs 18.2 ounces.

In your world would it be worth it to upgrade to a tbac ultra5/dominus cb and get my can weight under 10 ounces? This is not an ultralight rifle build I expect it to finish around 10 pounds scoped empty without can.

Barrel contour is a #4 if it matters cut at 21”
it’s a decent bit of weight out front but I had it on my last 24” rifle and it wasn’t too bad. Any experience is a heavier supressor reduces muzzle flip?

Whisky

WKR
To me it doesn't make sense to go the Ultra 5 route unless you're specifically trying to achieve a "light as possible" build, which your rifle is not.... Ultra 7 would do you well though, IMO.

OP
DangerRanger
Everybody needs a new can ! I would go Dominus or Ultra 7 .
My biggest hesitation is it’s a bit of a duplicate, I already have a .30 cal rifle can so it needs to be a big difference in feel for a duplicate when I could look into more specialized stuff I don’t have

Yeah it seems pretty big, I might wait on the dominus to get a little more dB and a touch shorter
I think the Dominus will be great, but with the preorders and the can not being manufactured until April I think you'll be waiting in line to put your name on one for quite a while. I hate waiting and I'd likely purchase something available now and get my paperwork filed.

OP
DangerRanger
I think the Dominus will be great, but with the preorders and the can not being manufactured until April I think you'll be waiting in line to put your name on one for quite a while. I hate waiting and I'd likely purchase something available now and get my paperwork filed.

True, but it seems most ultra 7s are hard to find anyway and many dealers are swapping ultra orders for dominus cans. I won’t be able to hunt with it this year anyway so not as concerned if I get it next March or next June

I have an ultra 5 6.5 can and a ultra 7 30cal. For a 21” 300prc I would not opt for the ultra 5. The extra 2” and few ounces for the 7 will be warranted for that caliber.

My ultra 5 is great on my wife’s .260 18” barrel and my 6.5CM 20” barrel for a short handy package, but that 300prc needs some volume.

HuntnPack

WKR
I’m kinda in the same situation. I’m getting a
Lighter weight 24” 300 PRC & looking at suppressing it. I want to keep the rifle short & light. Leaning towards the Dominus.

I’m kinda in the same situation. I’m getting a
Lighter weight 24” 300 PRC & looking at suppressing it. I want to keep the rifle short & light. Leaning towards the Dominus.

If I didn't already have an Ultra 7, thats what I would do, and would get the CB version, not the full auto version so you can sling it off and on and have the muzzle break there if you need to run without it to help with recoil.

HuntnPack

WKR
If I didn't already have an Ultra 7, thats what I would do, and would get the CB version, not the full auto version so you can sling it off and on and have the muzzle break there if you need to run without it to help with recoil.
Thanks, I like that idea.
Just got on the Dominus waiting list.👍

Last edited:

LWH723

FNG
I've been running an Ultra 7 on my 26" 300PRC. Works great. The CB brake is pretty much worthless though if you shoot with can off. It's not as a bad as no brake, but pretty close.

OP
DangerRanger
I've been running an Ultra 7 on my 26" 300PRC. Works great. The CB brake is pretty much worthless though if you shoot with can off. It's not as a bad as no brake, but pretty close.

nice, I’m thinking at this point if I get a dominus I’ll sent it in to be converted to direct thread. For this reason