Should I hunt Mule Deer and Elk at the same time

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
This year I am going to CO Unit 44 to bow hunt Elk. Should I apply for a Mulie tag also or concentrate only on Elk? The hunt is 7 days?

Thanks for your input.

Craig4791

WKR
Personally i like to have as many tags as possible! If you can afford it and draw a 44 deer tag as a second choice it might be nice to have...... you never know.

dotman

WKR
Although I wish I had a deer tag with me last year, saw the biggest deer of my life at 15 yards. So if you can focus on one then maybe it isn't a bad idea.

You know dam well the second you dont have that deer tag in your pocket you will have a perfect 50 yard broad side shot at a giant. Better get the deer tag as well.

vcb

WKR
If u can draw the tag( deer is draw only ) and it doesn't hurt your pocket then he'll yeah why not. If your not seeing lots of elk but some great bucks then change gears and belly crawl up to a great mulie!

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
If it doesn't greatly impact your wallet, go for it. Craig4791, BATTLEBORN and vcb all hit the nail on the head.

OR Archer

WKR
I went to Colorado a couple years ago with just a deer tag in my pocket. Wish I had bought an elk tag because we saw a lot of elk, one being a really good bull. I wont make that mistake again. When opportunity knocks I want to make sure I'm ready with a tag in my pocket. So if you can afford the extra tag fee then by all means go for it.

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
The first year we went elk hunting, my wife had a decent mulie buck at 20 yards broadside, and no deer tags! I have gotten deer tags ever since.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
You'll have to apply for 44 archery deer tag as first choice to get one and you'll loose any points you have. based on past draws you would stand a pretty good chance of drawing with 0 points though.

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Great! I'm going for it. Last year. Mule deer kept running past my tent.

Also, if you tagged out early with your elk, you would have a reason to keep hunting the rest of the week with the mule deer tag in your pocket

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
The way I see It if you have only an elk tag you'll see big deer if you have only a deer tag you'll see big elk. If you have both this ensures you won't see any legal animal to take and will be plagued with bears and spikes Ha ha.
In all seriousness I say go for both that way you can be an opportunist and good luck

crumy

WKR
I would get it. I am doing same for the area I am in draw for. Always put in and if I get one and not the other it doesn't hurt my feelings. But if you get deer and not elk.... tough choice....