Should I hunt this tag solo?

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so the great news is that I drew my 2021 CO 61 archery tag! (yes bragging a bit here) The bad news is that my hunting partner of the last 12 years drew his own LE tag in a different part of the state. (unexpected tag) Good on him but that leaves me on a solo mission for a tag that I have been dreaming of for several years. I have hunted solo in the past but having another caller, another back, eyes, and ears is clearly desirable especially given the point cost of this tag. I honestly don't care about inches but chose this unit for opportunity.

So, what say you roksliders? Especially anyone that has had the opportunity to hunt this tag in the past.

Hunt solo? Find a friend? Wait another year?

I look at scenarios like this as
"I might not get a next year to do this. So I'm just going to do it."

I'd hunt it solo. Some dreams/challenges are meant to be faced alone. Perhaps this is one of them.

I'd also weigh the odds of if you can hunt both hunts. Focus on the harder to draw tag, then go hit the other side of the state after.

OP
B

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
I look at scenarios like this as
"I might not get a next year to do this. So I'm just going to do it."

I'd hunt it solo. Some dreams/challenges are meant to be faced alone. Perhaps this is one of them.

I'd also weigh the odds of if you can hunt both hunts. Focus on the harder to draw tag, then go hit the other side of the state after.
Appreciate the response. Waiting a year is the last thing on my mind but wanted to put it out there. Challenge with hunting both tags is that they are both hours (7 & 5) from where we live and neither of us can take the whole month of Sept off of work. There would be little to no chance of him getting his tag again so asking him to turn it back would be beyond an A-hole move on my part. I am also the primary caller in our team so he is dealing with the same issue as I am.

dsayer

FNG
Take a Garmin In Reach and go on the hunt. Find a packer in the area if you need to, but nothing is for certain next year either.
This would be my suggestion as well. I'd line up a packer and go for it! Good luck!

brettpsu

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe find someone who's close to drawing 61 and wants to come along to learn the unit better for their own hunt next year or the years after? They could help with calling and packing? Hell if I had nothing planned for September I'd love to come call bulls in 61 for you.

If you can't find anyone you can check with Dustin Garvey (Garvey Bros Outfitters) and see if they still do pack outs.

FLAK

WKR
Solo is how I roll. Only time I go with someone else
is when my teenage son goes. He's still in school, so
that doesnt happen very often.

Solo? Heck yeah!!!

OP
B

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt it.
Elk are everywhere in 61. And not far from roads.
No need for a packer, just go ask someone from a nearby camp to give you a hand when you get one down.

Lots of bears in 61. Hang that meat high.

Don’t overthink a simple decision
Thanks Brad! I appreciate the advice and help you have already provided as well.

OP
B

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
I will be in 70 for the first couple of weeks of season. When we get close to season, if you dont have pack help lined up let me know, I dont mind coming to help get one out if you kill while I am there.
Thanks for the offer. Good to know there are folks like you out there!

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
All of my big deer have been taken when I am by myself. I drew a 3 rd season deer tag and plan on hunting alone and wont even consider company. I am more focused and most are nothing but a distraction.