Should I hunt this tag solo?

Huntnnw

WKR
boils down to what would make you happy to do on your hunt. I personally hunt almost all solo and wouldnt even consider not hunting

Elkangle

WKR
He's your pard of 12 years...and your looking for an opportunity hunt ? I don't know the odds of that tag with the points you have but hunting alone is for the birds....being there for your hunting buddy and then being there for you sounds like you get to go on two awesome hunts instead of one..

Look at your points...your odds...his points...his odds...go on the harder to draw tag and turn back in the other...then hopefully they draw again in a year or two

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go solo for sure. This is my first year with a elk tag in Montana, although a buddy will be going with. I've made the commitment to myself if something happens and he can't go, I'm going it alone.

cnelk

WKR
Solo elk hunting isn’t the boogie man it’s made out to be.

Since I killed the bull in the video above (2012), I’ve killed 8 elk. 6 of them were solo.

Think ‘Nike’ - Just do it

Wapiti1

WKR
Well, I'm going to drive from Indiana to CO to hunt the LE muzzy tag I drew. All by my lonesome for 9 days or less if I tag out. Actually, the plan is to shoot him on day 4, pack out day 5 and spend a couple of days fishing. We'll see how that pans out.

I'm looking forward to it. Decent tag in new country. Planning a couple of scouting trips in late summer, and then I'll give 'er hell.

Jeremy

OP
B

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the responses. I don't have any problems hunting solo I was more concerned about going into this kind of opportunity without a caller. I have actually killed more elk solo than when partnered up but recognize the advantages of having a caller pull elk by the shooter or at least keep their attention elsewhere as this is what we have done the last several years. With this being an opportunity rich environment I want to make sure I am not severely handicapping myself going in.

I have not hunted The Western Slope so not experienced with how to approach the terrain/environment. If someone who has hunted the unit came on here and said "man, you would be a moron for hunting that terrain and those elk without a caller." I would give it some attention.

Ok so the great news is that I drew my 2021 CO 61 archery tag! (yes bragging a bit here) The bad news is that my hunting partner of the last 12 years drew his own LE tag in a different part of the state. (unexpected tag) Good on him but that leaves me on a solo mission for a tag that I have been dreaming of for several years. I have hunted solo in the past but having another caller, another back, eyes, and ears is clearly desirable especially given the point cost of this tag. I honestly don't care about inches but chose this unit for opportunity.

So, what say you roksliders? Especially anyone that has had the opportunity to hunt this tag in the past.

Hunt solo? Find a friend? Wait another year?
It sounds like you are able to turn your tag in, and would have the points to draw next year.

If I was in your situation, I would personally turn my tag in and go hunt with my friend on his hunt this year. Then next year draw your tag and he can go with you on your hunt.

I have done this several times, and it worked out well. I got to have the fun of being the caller in a great unit for a friend, and then we hunted our normal OTC unit for my tag when they tagged out. They returned the favor when I drew my LE tag.

obviously this is based on the other person being the type of hunting partner willing to possibly not have time to hunt for themselves if your LE tag took the whole season to fill next year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Thanks for all the responses. I don't have any problems hunting solo I was more concerned about going into this kind of opportunity without a caller.
"Be" the caller. Sounds like you've already had success solo before, so this hunt shouldn't be any different for you.

Solo and don’t look back. Haven’t hunted the Unc yet, but I’ve thought about it. Great country in there

Grant K

FNG
Thanks for all the responses. I don't have any problems hunting solo I was more concerned about going into this kind of opportunity without a caller. I have actually killed more elk solo than when partnered up but recognize the advantages of having a caller pull elk by the shooter or at least keep their attention elsewhere as this is what we have done the last several years. With this being an opportunity rich environment I want to make sure I am not severely handicapping myself going in.

I have not hunted The Western Slope so not experienced with how to approach the terrain/environment. If someone who has hunted the unit came on here and said "man, you would be a moron for hunting that terrain and those elk without a caller." I would give it some attention.

Having spent quite a bit of time in 61 I would say that for the most part having a caller would be much less important than in an OTC unit, if you are in the big herds there are so many elk making noise that no amount of calling makes much difference, you are certainly not calling a herd bull away from 80 cows...
in my experience calling from anything more than 100 yards outside a big herd is a good way to have a satellite bull run you over and blow out the elk you are after, better to just get into the herd and wait for the big one to come by.

OP
B

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Having spent quite a bit of time in 61 I would say that for the most part having a caller would be much less important than in an OTC unit, if you are in the big herds there are so many elk making noise that no amount of calling makes much difference, you are certainly not calling a herd bull away from 80 cows...
in my experience calling from anything more than 100 yards outside a big herd is a good way to have a satellite bull run you over and blow out the elk you are after, better to just get into the herd and wait for the big one to come by.
Thanks for this insight. Great to hear from another person that has spent some time in the unit. I am starting to plan out a scouting trip in early August and then keep the rest of my vacation time for hunting. The terrain/vegetation that I can see (online) is a bit overwhelming (thick) and much different from what I have hunted the past 20 years on this side of the divide.

tdhanses

WKR
Whatever you do don’t turn the tag back in, not sure why some feel this way but solo hunting isn’t bad, yeah it’s nice to have someone in camp at the end of the day to talk but really that shouldn’t be a determining factor, we never know what the future holds so take your opportunity.

OP
B

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
So I should probably update this post. I am planning on hunting. My buddy has hooked up with another guy that is very familiar with the unit he drew so I feel good about his situation.

I tend to over analyze everything and nothing different with this opportunity. Now I just need to start gathering as much information about the unit as possible. Thanks for everyone's insight.

September will be here before we know it!

Scoot

WKR
I prefer to hunt with a partner. In your shoes, however, this would be an easy decision. Go solo and have a blast!

sndmn11

WKR
Go scout and hunt it, get a short roster of yahoos who have nothing better to do than come help if asked, and make friends with other camps.

I think @Ucsdryder might have a friend with that tag too. He can probably call in a half dozen bulls simultaneously for the two of you to measure up.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Go scout and hunt it, get a short roster of yahoos who have nothing better to do than come help if asked, and make friends with other camps.

I think @Ucsdryder might have a friend with that tag too. He can probably call in a half dozen bulls simultaneously for the two of you to measure up.
I’ll be there this weekend. Putting out 7 cameras to find that 350” bull hiding amongst all the 250-280s.

OP
B

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be there this weekend. Putting out 7 cameras to find that 350” bull hiding amongst all the 250-280s.
If you find one of those I will trade you some pack labor for one of the lesser ones you don't want!

ncavi8tor

WKR
If you need help packing out meat let me know. We will be around that area in September too.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk