Should I just buy a chrono?

Conrad

FNG
While you can dial in velocity with actual DOPE you have to be absolutely confident in your shots as well as atmospherics, and this includes funky things like Snells law etc. Better be doing this on a very calm morning and rifle management and loading practices squared away.

Or eliminate some headaches and get yourself a magnetospeed or LabRadar. Don’t even waste your time with the old tech screened chronos....

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I think every handloader should have one. One of the "essential" tools for load development in my mind. I currently use a Caldwell, and it works. I see a Lab Radar in my future though.

260madman

WKR
Usually you will find pressure with the chronograph before the brass shows sign. I use mine for development more than anything else. I’ve had loads plateau and then a large velocity swing up as powder is increased with out a lot of sign on the brass.

Pengilly

FNG
Hell yes ! I use my V3 all the time, invaluable tool. Don't worry about POI and if you are Tubbs and Wheeler make mounts that take the bayonet off the barrel

Zoso5150

WKR
Agree. They aren’t that expensive and it keeps you from guessing your actual velocities, the reloading books are helpful but dont assume you’ll get the same velocity. You may find a load that shoots great at 100 then realize you're well low at 200 or 300 because your velocity is slow. That is hard to see at only 100 yd. sight in range.

Lou400a

Lil-Rokslider
I have CED, but can't download the data anymore for some reason and its a pain to set up so I'm trying to decide on Magnetospeed V3 with one of the freefloating mounts or just bite the bullet and get Labradar. looks like it'll be close price wise and the V3 will still slightly affect the POI

I will be switching to Magneto Speed. Got tired of using the Chrony and setting it up. With the Chrony most of my time was spent with alignment, height, distance away. I didn't really have issues with missed data.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Go in with a couple of buddies on a chronograph. You can pass it around as it's some you only need a few times a year.