Should I just buy a chrono?

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have an opinion about ballistic truing as a way to estimate your velocity if you don't own a chrono? What I mean is, I think my load shoots a certain speed for my load. I make an elevation adjustment for 600 yards, and shoot a 5 shot group at 600 yards. If the whole group is 4" high, I'm underestimating my speed and I adjust the speed on my ballistic calculator until it reads 4" high at 600 yards. I repeat the process until I'm hitting dead on at 600. It seems to work for me. What are peoples thoughts on this? Should I just buy a chrono?

Rob5589

WKR
IMO, absolutely. They will give you more info than just velocity, sd being the big one, especially if shooting at extended distances.

If you already have yourself walked in and and can make consistent hits then no.
Only reason would be if you had multiple loads that shot a good group and wanted to see what one has the lowest spread, and there for the most consistent.
If your using a ballistic app there is most likely a truing function in there some where.
If not just adjust the velocity on the app your using until the dial up at the range your shoot is the same as the actual dial up you have on your scope.
You can shoot another range say further out and if it needs a little more tweaking adjust your bc.

OP
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Any recommendations on a good Chrono? It seems like a small $$ amount compared to the rest of the gear we use

dla

WKR
I think every reloader should have and use a chronograph. And I think it is absolutely obscene to buy one that doesn't have a remote display, capable of remembering a 10 shot string, and calculating High,Low, Average, Extreme Spread and Standard Deviation. I've been using a Chrony Alpha-Master for a long time, and I see they're still selling them for ~$120.

Rob5589

WKR
I use the CE Pro Chrono. Works great, I have used it for bullets, arrows, and paintballs and my son has used it for airsoft guns. Picks them all up without issue.

freebird

WKR
Because I do so much reloading I spent the heavies and got a labradar. It is a fantastic unit. No POI shift. But you do need to keep firmware up to date

Mike 338

WKR
Ehhhh, it would be like estimating your vehicle speed by your time between mile markers. Or you could just look down at your speedometer... A chronograph is a useful tool although seldom used daily. Still, I don't do a full load development without one but I use mine less than most. I'd save up for one is you care about knowing your exact bullet speed.

Mike 338

WKR
I use a chrono to find my max charge, to note any sweet spots when finding my max charge and to confirm speeds on a final load. I don't use it while testing groups. I have a Magnetospeed. Fast/easy to set up, doesn't get blown over in the wind, doesn't hold up the range while setting up and I get a reading virtually every shot, unlike other chronos. I never use it when testing groups. I don't see how it could not affect barrel harmonics. Still, a great tool. Labradar would be my next choice of I though I needed data on every shot I took. I have a older style chronograph for lever actions and pistols.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use a Caldwell chrono and love it. It has been as accurate as the Labradars that I've tested them against. The Caldwell saves everything to the free app on my phone, so it's super convenient. I don't develop loads without it.

I have a magnetospeed, Labradar, and ProChrony. They all work but magnetospeed and labradar give you more reliable and consistent results.

I have only used the LabRadar the past nearly two years. ProChrony is a pain to set up in line with your target, especially at a public range. Magnetospeed makes load dev more cumbersome because it changes your harmonics and POI. Only negative I’ve had with labradar is if you’re on a crowded range it will trigger to other people’s shots.

If you can get your dope validated and tested by actual shooting without a chrono you’re probably ahead of people who rely too much on ballistic solvers compared to actual range validation IMO. It is convenient to know velocity and SDs as you work up a load though. It also provides another data point for understanding what pressure you’re at. For example, lapua 6.5x47 brass (assume Creedmoor is similar) with hard cupped CCI primers can run crazy high pressures without showing obvious signs. Once you start getting to certain velocities on the chrono you just know you have to be at high pressure and can back it down.

Have you noticed any POI with it?? I see there is an adapter a person can get that keeps it off the barrel. Not sure who makes it
I do kind of what excalibur does. Except I find an accurate good grouping load first and then I confirm I have good es and sd.