Should I keep this Swarovski ATS 65HD?!

K_pem

WKR
So long story short, I just picked up a swaro ats 65 HD w/ 20-60x eyepiece for a KILLER deal!!

Im immediately second guessing myself buying this scope and wondering if this spotter is just way too much/nice for me and if I should sell to fund a slightly lesser spotter in addition to upgrading my binos as well.

My previous spotter was a Vortex Razor 85mm and it was good but not great plus heavy. The other was an Athlon 12-36x50 and it was a sweet little guy for the weight but lacked in range/light. Which left me selling both to pursue something in the 65mm range. For context I currently have Vortex Viper HD binos in a 10x42 that seem to serve me fairly well, but I know there’s much better out there.

Heres the predicament: I don’t NEED an elite high quality spotter, and had been looking at the Kowa 663M which I can get for a decent deal new. It would probably do all the jobs I currently need it too but I know the sharp will be a step above. My binos have been fine for the last 3-4 years but I wouldn’t mind having a greater set of binos, which I could have if I sold the spotter.

Question is: would you sell and get the 663M (or another scope in the $1000-1400 range) and newer better binos ($800-1000 range) OR keep the Swaro (that I could probably sell for about $2000) and not worry about binos until I can afford better?

I’m so divided here! Give me your input!
TIA

Rodéo

WKR
You asked so I'll tell you what I'd do, I'd sell the spotter if I could make a nice profit and grab better bino's than vipers and a nice 65mm spotting scope or 15x56's.

Id keep it, its paid for and you have plenty of time to pinch pennies for better binos before fall seasons roll around. I've learned the hard way that with spotters especially, going middle of the road will leave you disappointed.

I’d keep the spotter and save for the better binos. I’d regret selling the spotter then wanting to upgrade down the road realizing you aren’t going to get the deal you previously got (from the sounds of it)
^^^ this is what I’d do for sure. I’ve been in that position on other items and always regret when I sell it.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
A lot of folks have agreed on the Facebook pages as well that they’d keep the Swaro. Here’s my only issue with that: most if not all of those that say that haven’t spent any time with the Kowa to say that it’s that much lesser of a scope than a Swaro. I mean there’s no doubting it’ll be somewhat of a compromise but is it double the value better?

Figure out a way to get better binoculars. OT, stimulus check, second job, etc. Waiting a year, etc. Keep your spotter.

Find a great deal on a used pair of Swarovision ELs (or Leica Ultravid or Noctavid). People are converting to the NLs so there should be some for sale very often.

I agree that great binoculars are more important than the spotting scope, That said. enjoy the scope and figure out a way to upgrade the binoculars as well.

Last edited:

archp625

WKR
What binos are you looking at getting? Also, how much do you use a spotter? I find that everyone says you need a spotter but I hardly use mine at all. Its more or less a paper weight. I would rather have a really nice set of binos off a spotter. Yeah, I want to kill a trophy class animal just like everyone else but at the same time I also want to be successful and shoot something that makes me happy. If he looks good in my binos that's good enough for me.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
I’m going to try to swing having both the Swaro and Kowa on hand(pick up a good deal)for a short period and compare the two, then make the decision if I can live with the Kowa if it means new binos. Otherwise ill keep the Swaro and maybe start Penny pinching or scoping out deals on used binos.

Skee7533

FNG
The swaro and the vipers will do everything you need until you can save up and upgrade. I pretty much agree with what has already been said, if you are going to use it, I would keep it. If it really isn't going to see alot of use, then I probably would sell it.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
The swaro and the vipers will do everything you need until you can save up and upgrade. I pretty much agree with what has already been said, if you are going to use it, I would keep it. If it really isn't going to see alot of use, then I probably would sell it.
That’s where I’m kind of torn. We use them a lot during spring bear and scouting for elk but probably not a ton during archery elk season. Maybe I’ll carry it into camp with me if I think I’ll have the ability to glass but it’s a matter of about 6lbs (spotter and tripod). Rifle then presents another story, I would likely carry it most of the time, unless I know I’m going to be totally unable to glass with it. So I’m not sure how much use it will get acutely.

My other thoughts are seeing in the future of next year and years following once im out of school, putting in for limited draw/special hunts.

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
Keep it, save a little sell your lower end stuff and put that money towards better binos. The Swarovski will last a lifetime and you can pass it on.

Keep them and sell the vipers and find a nice set of Swaro SLC HD 10x42’s. I always use a great spotter for spring bear, etc.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Never sell your spotter until you have the next one alongside. That way you will never question your decisions and you can sell on the one that doesnt measure up!!