Should I learn to call for late October Idaho Elk Hunt?

Yeah, start calling in late October so you can spook the elk. Pretty soon it’ll be the trumpet squad in October also. You could use with light cow calling as you move through timber but I’d be judicious with it.

I'm far from an Elk expert, but I agree with this. Cow calling while walking, and a "cow party" in one spot seem to work fairly well.

I also wouldn't leave the bugle at home though. I've heard a few (very few) bugles last few days. Mostly short round up bugles (I think, I don't speak elk well). But none of the long aggressive ones from the rut. But a couple location bugles at the beginning and end of day, or when you reach a peak, can be useful. Just not too much because you'll have a better chance of drawing in some more bright orange hats than you will locating a bull.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I would learn to use a diaphragm if nothing else you might be able to slow a cow or bull down for a potential shot especially if you are in the timber. If you cover any ground walking there is a good chance you might bump a few. If they didn't smell you a couple mews might get you a shot.

Doing my first elk hunt this fall in the late October rifle season in Idaho. Never hunted big game before and never used big game calls before. Is it worthwhile to learn to call since I'll be hunting post-rut? What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

Remington

Yes yes and yes. Learn to call! If for no other reason, the day you come over to the dark side, and you will come, and start Bowhunting, you will be a step closer ;)

Learn the cow calls. I just called a little raghorn in the hill to a place to shoot him with a couple cow calls. You probably won’t get the herd Bull to move but a couple cow calls every now and then gets them moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk