Should I modify a very early Remington 700?

My first deer rifle was a Remington 700 in 30-06. I still have it and in fact shot my first Elk with it two years ago. It was built in 1961 I think and the serial number is 4000. It's older than the ADL or BDL designations. The gun was never fired until 1988, but has been well used since then. It has lots of scratches on the stock and a little scabbard wear on the barrel and action. I've only cycled maybe 4-500 rounds through it and it still shoots very well. I was thinking of keeping the original stock and trigger guard in my gun cabinet so I can restore it to original condition if need be, and having the gun fitted with a composite stock, including a detachable box mag so it's more field friendly. Is this sacrilege? Whaddya think?

N2TRKYS

WKR
Obviously, do whatever makes you happy. But, there’s a lot of history in that rifle the way it sits. Every scratch and scuff mark detailing a different chapter.

I’d leave it as is, unless something was wrong with the functionality of the rifle.

If it were me, I'd leave it as is, and just procure a newer modern rifle of some flavor if you would like to have something more weatherproof of with more modern features. You'll likely spend as much on a new stock/trigger than it would cost for an entry level stainless/composite rifle. IMO, a detachable box mag can be handy but isn't a big deal. I have a pile of various older vintage rifles (lever and bolt), and other than triggers have left them be. I did finally get a "modern" mountain rifle about 18 months ago - wanted something relatively weatherproof and light for AK and local backcountry trips. Ended up with a Fieldcraft 3006. But depending on your budget you could get a newer 700, Ruger, Savage, Tikka and still have your cool vintage rifle intact and ready to go when you feel like taking it out for a stroll. Good luck with what you decide!

WCB

WKR
Your gun do what you want...However, I would leave it as is and get another rifle maybe synthetic and stainless. I hate box magazines but have them in all my new rifles because that is what they have. I also have a few old guns including a old model 600 Remington that has chips and scratches in it. The lacquer finish is worn in most spots but I like the history on the gun.

22lr

WKR
Coming from a guy who hunts with a pre-64 Win 70... use the crap out of it.

Slap a new stock on it if it will help make it more user friendly (I did it to my pre-64), and go to town. There is something to be said about walking into the woods with a gun that you have a connection to vs a $500 lump of metal and plastic that you bought last week. Dont get me wrong, that $500 Tikka, Savage or Ruger will shoot rings around ya all day long (without some work on your part), but if you know the limitations of your rifle you won't be disappointed.

Plus, you can be the old fart at camp talking down on the young wippersnappers and their fancy plastic CNC made soulless rifles... ;)

Haney

FNG
I would modify any way you like and enjoy it . A new stock with recoil pad will make it a dream to shoot compared to it's original configuration .

OP
EastHumboldt
I'm already the camp curmudgeon. "Why... when I was your age I dug the Panama Canal with one hand and a broken leg".

Longbow53

FNG
Those older Rem 700 actions are very good metal, yours probably has the plumb color on it? 30 years ago I sold 5 guns/scoped,dies,etc when I came back from Alaska. 338,7 mag,30'6,308,243. Built with a stainless 700 SA. Jim Lutes did the work.He called it his Poor Mans Sheep Rifle in 284 which is the round I wanted. I sent him my Lilja barrel and the stainless Rem SA action...his recommendation. I did switch the Mcmilian stock the next year and went Brown Precision and cut a pound from the gun. Custom mag well for a 3.1" round to maximiz the 140 gr Barnes this gun is built for.A modified bolt stop that lets the bolt come back an extra 3/8". One sweet gun! Pretty trick in 1990.
With Warne quick detach rings,3x9 Leupold compact. Nothing has changed in 30 years! I KNOW how to shoot MY gun! Long story short...these young guys that just have to have a $5,000 gun is nuts. This gun shoots a 3/4" @100 all day.These are 300 yd guns ,equates to a 3" group at 300 yds.My longest shot 340 on a cow.a total pass thru. I took the shot cause I know MY Gun. $1300 to have it built total...that would be around $2500 now. Took what was left from my rifles and bought a Bench Rest gun.Have been shooting 1 K , 100-300 yd BR ever since. I'm 67..I shoot pretty good OK.
You have a good action,rebuild and keep the memories,just trick it out. Your there,sit down and add up what you need. Then decide. See ya,Pete
One more ..dont drill holes in your bolt handle to reduce weight.Drill out the knod instead.If it breaks off you can still work the bolt,cant do it if it breaks off closer to the main bolt. Have seen some trick $5,000 guns,I question that gunsmith........

Attachments

• P1030551.JPG
    P1030551.JPG
    536.9 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030550.JPG
    P1030550.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 284 001.JPG
    284 001.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 15
I’d bed and free float it, maybe a trigger but definitely not necessary. Sounds like it’s been filling freezers for a long time, I wouldn’t fix what ain’t broke. But it’s your rifle, so turn it into whatever you’d like. 👍🏻

OP
EastHumboldt
Yeah... the trigger... that's one of the reasons I was thinking of getting some work done. I tinkered with my trigger quite a few years ago because it was pretty heavy. Wrote down the original screw settings so I could put it back shot it a few tiles at the range and I was pretty happy with it. Fast forward to hunting season. I saw a buck, chambered a round, and it went off as soon as I closed the bolt. Put all the settings back to original and took it to a gunsmith. He tuned it up fine.. nice braek at about 1-1/2 lbs. then last week I was dinking with it and damned if it didn't dry fire when I closed the bolt. I'm getting a Timney for sure.

Cheaha

FNG
I would not mess with it too much. Remington introduced the Model 700 in 1962, so your rifle may be one of the earliest production model 700s. It probably was not made in '61, but it could have been I guess, which could mean it is a prototype and who wants to mess with something like that. Anyway, there were some major improvements to the 700 in the first few years including with the trigger and sear. The trigger can be changed easily, but to me the bolt wobble on those early guns is what is troublesome. I had a '62 model that would bind up if I racked the bolt back and didn't return it forward just right. That's not an attractive feature in a hunting rifle when you may want a quick follow-up shot and there's not really any way to fix it. In 1974 Remington added a groove in the right locking lug that slides along a protrusion on the right side rail to keep the bolt from getting out of line. With a gun that's been around so long I would just do some restoration, replace the trigger, bed it with some pillars, and enjoy it for what it is. Just my $.02. (re-read your original post and realized you were just talking about changing the stock, not a total customization, but I still think you could work with the original stock and keep it true to form, enjoy)

Last edited:
OP
EastHumboldt
Actually i heard it was a '61 from the guy I bought it from in 1988... unfired. He bought it in the PX when he was stationed in Greenland in '62 or '63. in 1988 Neither of us really knew jack about rifles, so he probably got the date wrong. I still don't know jack...

My first deer rifle was a Remington 700 in 30-06. I still have it and in fact shot my first Elk with it two years ago. It was built in 1961 I think and the serial number is 4000. It's older than the ADL or BDL designations. The gun was never fired until 1988, but has been well used since then. It has lots of scratches on the stock and a little scabbard wear on the barrel and action. I've only cycled maybe 4-500 rounds through it and it still shoots very well. I was thinking of keeping the original stock and trigger guard in my gun cabinet so I can restore it to original condition if need be, and having the gun fitted with a composite stock, including a detachable box mag so it's more field friendly. Is this sacrilege? Whaddya think?
I’d get a different stock for sure

Cheaha

FNG
If you want to know for sure you could google "remington date codes" and use the codes on the barrel stamps to figure out the manufacturer date. If you do, let us know, I am curious to know. It could be one of the very first, pretty rare.

OP
EastHumboldt
Mine says "& C J 32" So C= April and J=1962. So exactly when did they start making them?

Edit: did a little reading and it looks like they introduced the 700 in january of 1962.

Last edited:
OP
EastHumboldt
I don't know if you saw in the OP but the SN# is 4000. They apparently started the SN's at 1000 so it is exactly the 3,000th production 700 ever built. Makes me feel lucky to have acquired it.

Longbow53

FNG
I bought a used mint Browning Safari 7 Mag in 1972 for $180 lay away. Only way I could buy it .A new Rem 700 Mag BDL was about $150 new!

OP
EastHumboldt
And minimum wage was about $2.00/hr and if you were getting $8-9/hr you were killin' it. "'Member berries." South Park fans will know what I'm talking about.