Should I trade a .40 for a 9mm?

Rockwell

FNG
I will parrot the choice for a conversion barrel and rsa, then she will have twice the chance to find ammo in stock.

CCH

WKR
I have owned most Glocks and have found the 27/23 to be the most uncomfortable to shoot. Snappy. I don't know what you can pull off where you're at and in these times, but my wife recently moved to a S&W Shield EZ in 9mm. It is about as user friendly as you can get. She prefers it over my 48 or the 19 she used to have by a large margin.

my short answer is conversion barrel. Tough time to find a good handgun at a good price.

I agree with @CCH the small glock 40s are snappy and not fun to shoot. In the 30 years since it was introduced, ballistic tech has advanced and I don’t think the terminal performance vs a 9mm is great enough to justify increased recoil and reduced capacity, in most shooters hands. Factor in the extra cost of ammo (~+30% over 9mm in a normal market), and most people are just going to shoot and enjoy a 40 less.

Some will disagree and 40 still has a big following In LEO and for some serious shooters. I would even say if someone pinned a badge on me and was buying my ammo, I’d probably be carrying a 40 cal Glock or something similar.

FWIW. I tend to recommend snub 38s for novice shooters. I am also a fan of the new slim 9mms that have come along in the last few years. I think they have made the Glock 26/27 a little stale. P365, Springfield hell cat, the Glock 48/43, smith shield Are all good options. My current favorite carry gun is a sig p365 but they are hard to find these days.

wildcat33

WKR
No, buy her her own gun, let her choose it and if possible shoot one first.

This. Orrrr you can buy her something and then sell it later at a loss and THEN let her buy what she wants (ask me how I know). Best to just let her shoot through the rental case at your local range.

I still like 40. Right now all ammo is gone, but in lesser runs on supplies 40 tends to stick around longer. prefer to shoot 9, but will always have a 40 in safe.

My girlfriend has a.40 cal Glock 27 gen 3 that she doesn't enjoy shooting. But she wants a personal protection handgun.

I think the recoil in the sub compact size is the problem. She shoots my Security six with 38's and enjoys that.

With things going the way they are is it crazy to try to trade the .40 for a 9mm right now?
Those who say .40’s suck have never had to use a handgun to defend themselves or somebody else’s life :). PM me if you are interested in offloading it or selling it. I have a bunch of 9mms lying around.

Nothing. A lot of LE agencies are switching back to 9mm though so people are worried the ammo wont be as common. I saw 40 on the shelf long after the 9 was all dried up though.
They are switching back to 9mm so the snowflakes and the women leos can score higher in their shooting tests. Has nothing to do with the .40 being inferior. When you look at the numbers it bests both 9mm and .45. The 10mm (my personal favorite) is the only round that beats it. I might be able to unload a mag with accuracy slightly faster with a 9mm, but go to the range with both and shoot steel and you will immediately see how much harder the 40 hits - its a night and day difference.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Sell. If she’s good with the Security Six then sell 40 now. Let her pick her gun when prices are down.

Had a few .40 s&w. Never was a fan. Sent em down the road.

TheGDog

WKR
+1 for the Ruger Security Six! I've had the privilege of introducing more than a few new shooters into the sport via that Stainless Security Six! The bit of weight takes the oomph out of most rounds pretty good. But the BuffaloBores and the Underwood LeHigh outta the .357 will still let ya know ya shot something a little hot and toasty out of it. But it's not bad at all. I have those Pachmeyer grips on it. Highly Accurate in Single-Action shots too!

Unless concealment is part of the scenario, then I'd say go with the lil Sig P238 a lil 1911 .380acp. You'll both like that gun! That gun is fun! That gun is Shooting Gallery Fun!

I wouldn’t. You can get a 9
Mm barrel and some G26 mags and shoot 9. Or get .357 sig barrel and shoot .357 auto out of your 27. One gun for multiple calibers .357 and .40 and 9mm with conversion

Last edited: