Should I trade a .40 for a 9mm?

2rocky

WKR
My girlfriend has a.40 cal Glock 27 gen 3 that she doesn't enjoy shooting. But she wants a personal protection handgun.

I think the recoil in the sub compact size is the problem. She shoots my Security six with 38's and enjoys that.

With things going the way they are is it crazy to try to trade the .40 for a 9mm right now?

Imo, thats going to be a hard trade in any market. I'd hold onto it until you found a suitable replacement available, then sell the 40 .
In the mean time, give her your security six if she's competent with it.

Squincher

WKR
Good luck trying to trade a .40. I couldn't find a dealer who would even make an offer on a G23 last fall.

Laramie

WKR
Market for used guns is pretty good right now in my area at least. You could likely sell the .40, buy a 9mm, and come out cash ahead. Good luck on ammo though...

Rob5589

WKR
You're in CA so bound by the roster. I would look for a used Kahr CW9 on Calguns. Thinner, better grip, great shooter. Trigger is double action only so similar to a DA revolver, one of the reasons I bought one to match up similarly with my LCR. I love carrying and shooting that gun, and I wear lg/xl gloves. Would fit her hands very well. Capacity is a bit lower at 7/8 +1. Probably cheaper than a Glock right now as well. CA prices for a G26/19 are stupid currently not to mention finding 9mm ammo.

Another option is a conversion barrel and mags. I have no experience with them so I cannot attest to reliability. Not a biggie for a range gun but a must for a CCW.

MattB

WKR
Another option is to buy a 9mm barrel for that gun. I think one needs to make sure the gun is reliable with aftermarket parts, but many have done it and reported good reliability.

Yes a 9mm conversion barrel may be a good option. If buying new she might like. G48, very trim but still has full sized grip for good control.

Rob5589

WKR
Yes a 9mm conversion barrel may be a good option. If buying new she might like. G48, very trim but still has full sized grip for good control.
Unfortunately, any Glock beyond the 3rd gen is not on the approved handgun roster we have in California. Something like a G48 is only available for purchase as a used gun, unless law enforcement. They will however command a steep price, generally 1000.00 or thereabouts.

TheGDog

WKR
1) You said girlfriend. You didn't say wifey. And even then, with a wifey... I probably wouldn't sell a gun.

In terms of another gun for her. Just make sure she's involved in the picking process. Besides 9mm. I'd also highly recommend the Sig P238 in .380acp aka 9mm Kurz aka 9mm short. If you assess she doesn't tolerate the sub compact 9's too well, then try the .380's And with the Sig P238 you can get 7rd mags with the finger extension too. It's got an amazing trigger on it. And nice big chunky Sig Night Sites.

Braaap

WKR
Yes.

I had a springfield xd sub compact 40 that my wife didn't like shooting. I sold it and bought her a G17 and she loves it. Much easier for her to shoot accurately and she enjoys shooting.

Jardo

WKR
i have a 9mm conversion barrel for my gen 4 g22. It has the .40 spring. if you limp wrist it, it will stovepipe all day long.

get the spring too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
Thanks. Been watching Lenny Magill all morning thanks to this conversation....

Sled

WKR
I've been thinking the same thing. Pairing my handguns back down to a few different calibers except for the collectors items. 9mm has come a long way in the recent past and the 40 cal isn't as popular as it used to be.