Should I try trading?

So I got a stainless Weatherby Vanguard .308 as a gift, and am wondering if I should try finding a trade. I figure I might be able to score a nicer used rifle that already has a usable scope. Or if the rifle is a lateral trade or downgrade, I could get a nice scope or cash to buy one.

I had asked for a scoped 7mm-08 (Savage 110, T/C Venture, or Howa 1500). I am kind of recoil averse, and this was a big reason I wanted 7mm-08. I was also pretty interested in 25-06 and 6.5 creedmor. I'm really kinda bummed I ended up with a .308 as I already have a 30-06. That is a heavier rifle, and I still don't really like shooting it with the recoil.

Anyways, I would probably just return the rifle if I could. Trying to sell it then buy something else seems like more of a hassle than trading. Am I crazy?

bascott1

WKR
Just my personal thoughts and what I do. Any firearm that’s a gift I will not get rid of. I will throw some glass on it and shoot the crap out of it and be happy. While recoil is subjective I don’t see much difference between a 7mm-08 and 308 unless you get up in the 180’s. Throw 125’s in the 308 and be good to go.

Under 400yds, with 140gr or lower, and you basically have a 7mm-08...

I get having your mind set on one thing and not having it materialize... but that rifle could be a lights out, super accurate, stone cold killer of almost anything you want to hunt.

Just a suggestion - put the scope from your .30-06 on it and shoot it some. Then revisit the idea of sending it down the road.

You probably aren’t going to make any progress trading or selling in the current gun market. Save up your cash for a nice scope and look into managed recoil factory ammo and/or lighter loads and you will be just as happy as a 7-08!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ramsdude47
solid advice, thanks for the thoughts everybody!

I'm curious what the state of the current gun market is though from TT's post? I assumed an anti-regulation, Republican administration / legislative majority could only be good news for guns.

WCB

WKR
solid advice, thanks for the thoughts everybody!

I'm curious what the state of the current gun market is though from TT's post? I assumed an anti-regulation, Republican administration / legislative majority could only be good news for guns.

Your assumptions are opposite...while good for gun regulations and gun owners, look at the sales of firearms and ammunition during the previous admin. Records all around. The market as far as numbers sold dropped off a cliff in 2016.

Another angle to look at the market is there are a ton of nice rifles at great prices. not saying you couldn't sell your gun but you probably aren't going to get its value out of it. You will have to discount it a little. and put that money towards a less cost gun and scope or however you want to look at it.

The recoil difference is minimal...as mentioned shoot lower grain weight rounds and you will never notice the difference. Also as others have stated "Never look a gift horse in the mouth".

Yes
Light bullets, start handloading. You were given a fantastic rifle

then again I do actually understand the frustration of being gifted something different than you want when you picked something for a reason, given that you didn’t pick something outlandish. Thid is considering the gifted knee what you actually wanted.

Last edited:

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
I'd try out some 130 gr Barnes ammo out of it before judging if it's too much to handle.

After all if you plan to trade/sell it it'll be priced as a used gun either way.

OP
ramsdude47
I asked for advice I don't really see how that is complaining. I shouldn't have used the word bummed. I'm ecstatic that I got a rifle. I do have doubts about the utility of .308 for my particular wants and needs.

On another note, a BNIB rifle would still be viewed and valued as used?

308 is so close to the 7-08 that there's no reason to switch, your used gun will not get the value you'd need to do the transaction without adding cash. Yes, it's used, just kike a car is used as soon as you sign the paperwork.

The gun you got is nicer than the ones you asked for, and now you have a chance to add a good scope that won't drive you nuts like a package gun scope would. If recoil really bugs you, trade in your 06 for cash to buy a nice heavy ffp scope, run 150 gr or less bullets and enjoy your do it all lower 48 rifle.

Also, go thank whoever got you that rifle profusely, and ask for their advice and help scoping it and sighting it in. I suspect they know what they're doing with a gun and they obviously care about you a lot.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

smith406

FNG
Because .308 ammo is so diversified and relatively cheap it is a good rifle to work on your recoil sensitivity. Is the Vanguard line still made by Howa? If so there is a decent aftermarket for that rifle. You can find a used factory stock for cheap and add weight to it until you get comfortable and hunt with the original stock.

Incahoots

FNG
I'd keep the 308.

I put a limbsaver recoil pad on my Ruger 77 35 Whelen. Thing was nasty off the bench. Enjoyable now with the limbsaver recoil pad. Made a huge difference so maybe an option for you

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
IMO......you got better then a howa. Howa used to build the vanguard I dont know if they still do. Like others have said. Shoot it. You will end up loving it.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
The limbsaver recoil is good advice. They really do soften up the recoil.