Should I try trading?

The .308 Winchester is super versatile and extremely accurate. You can shoot reduced-recoil loads from Hornady up to heavier loads and recoil can certainly be managed effectively.

I used to shoot everything from Coyotes to Mule Deer and everything in between with my .308. I’d keep it and enjoy it! Good luck!

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
What is the .30-06? I'd probably keep the 308 and sell the 06 if you don't want recoil. The gun you just got is pretty sweet and 308 does most of what the 06 does anyway.

OP
ramsdude47
Nothing special, older Savage 110. I like it enough to keep it and besides it doesn't really hold enough value to trade or sell.

I can't justify buying another, but the itch for a 7mm-08 or 6.5C just won't go away. Since OP that is shifting more towards 6.5C. Other rounds on my radar are 25-06 and .260 Rem but they seem to be less common. Given that 30-06 does everything .308 can and slightly more, and 6.5C does most of what .308 can do with less recoil it just seems to make more sense to move the .308.

Last edited:

LNF150

FNG
The gun market is still soft when it comes to selling. Here is a stainless Vanguard in 308 that just sold.

I use to be a big fan of both my 30-06's, until I shot a 7mm-08. Sold one -06, kept the m1 garand and bought a rem. 700 in 7-08 (my ex took that one because she killed her first elk with it). I putz around bought a vanguard s2 in a 6.5 creedmoor, killed a deer with it, had it less than a year and sold it (this was before walmart dumped all their vanguards on the market aug./sept 2018). I went back to the 7mm-08 and bought a tikka.

If you want a 7mm-08, get one. You wont be underpowered for any big game in Colorado. I really like the cartridge. Many people are big Weatherby Vanguard fans, I not one of them. Seriously doubt I will ever own another one.

Ive bought and sold my far amount of rifles. You wont get retail price for a private party gun sale. It is like a car as someone said. Why pay you full price when I can go to my local store and get one exactly how I want for the same price. Youd have to drop price 15-20%.

You can also add a muzzle brake to reduce recoil. I have a 300wm with a simple brake and I can shoot that thing all day long and I am also recoil adverse.

Rmauch20

WKR
I would shoot some 150gr rounds through it and see how they group. If it shoots the lighter rounds well I would keep it. The difference between a .308 shooting 150’s and a 7mm-08 shooting 140’s is going to be minimal.
With that said, I would be the guy to trade it off to get the rifle I wanted.

OP
ramsdude47
Having never been fired and still in the box the suitable car analogy would seem to be a car that still has 0 miles on the odometer because it was delivered on a trailer.

Nevertheless I understand that I would lose some $ value, but I'm okay with that for getting a more desired caliber and a serviceable scope. I'm also fine with used, and would expect to get more value going that route. I have shot enough different rifles to know that I don't really care as much as most people seem to about how nice the stock is, the trigger, the feel of the action, etc.

My requirements for being satisfied are manageable recoil and able to consistently hit inside a 3" radius at 200 yards. I have found that even the cheapest rifles I have tried in lighter calibers accomplish this - Remington 783, Mossberg Patriot, Savage Axis, etc. In fact they easily group within 1.5 inches at 200 yards. I do suspect longevity is not as good and the lemon rate is higher with these budget guns, but I have my sights set slightly higher at the T/C Venture, Howa 1500, Savage 110, Ruger American level. In a perfect world I would find a used Vanguard with a ~$300 retail scope. I don't need the stainless barrel and am perfectly content with the "cheaper" synthetic select version.

Last edited:

LNF150

FNG
I don't know how the Ruger American shoots but it's 7mm-08 with a 1:8.5" twist has caught my interest. Aside from this particular barrel, I'm interest in the unique recoil lugs of the RAR. That is a Ruger design and it looks very solid.

sdupontjr

WKR
Having never been fired and still in the box the suitable car analogy would seem to be a car that still has 0 miles on the odometer because it was delivered on a trailer.

Nevertheless I understand that I would lose some $ value, but I'm okay with that for getting a more desired caliber and a serviceable scope. I'm also fine with used, and would expect to get more value going that route. I have shot enough different rifles to know that I don't really care as much as most people seem to about how nice the stock is, the trigger, the feel of the action, etc.

My requirements for being satisfied are manageable recoil and able to consistently hit inside a 3" radius at 200 yards. I have found that even the cheapest rifles I have tried in lighter calibers accomplish this - Remington 783, Mossberg Patriot, Savage Axis, etc. In fact they easily group within 1.5 inches at 200 yards. I do suspect longevity is not as good and the lemon rate is higher with these budget guns, but I have my sights set slightly higher at the T/C Venture, Howa 1500, Savage 110, Ruger American level. In a perfect world I would find a used Vanguard with a ~$300 retail scope. I don't need the stainless barrel and am perfectly content with the "cheaper" synthetic select version.

Thats actually pretty terrible. But that aside, there is nothing that the the creed or 7-08 will do that the .308 won't do. Ammo in all ranges and at just about every grocery store from florida to alaska. If recoil is still too much, swap to a limbsaver recoil pad and shoot away. I think the root of all of your issues is the Creed is the "flavor" or "craze" now and everyone seems to want one. The .308 is "boring". If you don't hand load, find the right ammo that shoots well in it and fire away. My tikka t3 lite .308 shoots Hornady 165 SST's like hot garbage. About 2"-3" spreads at 100 yards, thought the gun was completely screwed and at $30+ / box, that sucked. Picked up some Federal blue box and walmart, $12, clover leafs at 100 yards with 150's. Personally, I'd keep the .308, but thats JMO.

OP
ramsdude47
I like to think of it more as 90% of the performance at 30% of the cost. Those budget rifles shoot 1.5 inch groups fairly consistently at 200 yards.

And I'm aware .308 is a quality round that is widely available. IMO 30-06 is better and I already have one. Hence wanting a lighter recoiling caliber.

Rich M

WKR
That gun has changed hands twice - it was purchased, then given to you. You are 2nd owner. LOL!

Don't get wrapped into the debate side of things - You have already talked yourself out of the gun - go and see what the shop will give you as a trade on whatever you are gonna buy. Already know what it will sell for and make your decision then.

I have several gift guns that I don't use - just holding them cause I'd hate to tell the givers I sold the gun they gave me. Doesn't cost anything to store them.