Should I up the bino budget for this deal?

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm going back elk hunting to Utah for the first time in over a decade and I am having to buy all new gear. Everything. I just bought boots, a bow, quiver, and sight, still looking for a new release, arrows, and broadheads. I've bought all new clothes but still need to pick up a pack. And, of course, I need some binos.

I was hoping to only spend around $250 to $350 because the budget is straining with all of the above, plus I still have to get elk tags and cover all the other trip expenses. But then along comes this Zulu9 11x45 deal at Midway for $555 and I think about the buy once, cry once motto.

I almost pulled the trigger on them but I wonder if they are too bulky and heavy for packing around while bowhunting or is this glass too good to pass up? Or maybe I should I get something smaller and lighter like the 10x42 BX-4s that are $400 from Lockedloaded.com? Or should stay in budget and get some Maven C.1s or try and wait for some good used deal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are going to stretch the budget on anything, it should be glass. A nice set of binoculars is arguably one of the most important pieces of equipment for western hunts!

I would up the budget for sure unless you're just gonna be in thick timber which sounds unlikely. Personally i get a headache from looking through cheap glass for long. Id check out the classified ads on here and maybe ebay

Felix40

WKR
I have Zulu 9 15x56 and C.1 8x42. The Zulu 9 are a good bit better than the C.1(like side by side nearly swaro good) but the C.1 is still a very serviceable bino. Elk are easy to see so it’s not worth the extra weight of the 15s for me on archery elk hunts. Those Zulu 9s are probably a sweet bino but they will be bulkier due to the objective and the extra armor sig puts on them.

My take, if you are going to be in the timber much at all, a demo pair of the Mavens will make you happy. If you are going to an area where you will glass a lot then maybe the Sigs are worth it.

I agree with stretching the budget on glass, but neither of those would be something I'd stretch for. Maven C series or since it is an archery hunt a pair of 8x30 B.3s is in the same ballpark, and you save some coin if you do the demo program. The B3s are fantastic glass in a less cumbersome form factor than your other options. Also watch the classifieds for Hawke, Toric, GPO, and Maven. Old vortex talons show up used now and again and would keep you on budget.

OP
Y

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the responses. I see everyone agrees to stretch the budget. If I stretch it up to the $500ish range, what would be something good to get for elk hunting out west?

Firehawk

WKR
I have both the Maven C1 8x42 and the Maven B3 8x30. The B3 are a little bit more expensive, but a better binocular for sure. I also own a Maven B2 9x45 and it is terrific. If I could only have one, I would keep the B2 9x45 for sure, then the B3 next. But hunting in thick cover etc., the B3 will be terrific and they are small and light. Extremely well built with really good glass.

archp625

WKR
To me if your budget is $300-$500 the C1’s fit the bill. Going from $350 to $500 isn’t a huge leap in glass. You need to hit that $1000 mark for a huge step up.

A friend of mine has the 10 x42 C1’s and they are very nice for the money.

bird35

FNG
I attached a picture for an idea of the size difference. They are sig zulu 9 11x45, leupold bx4 pro guide 10x50 and Maven c1 10x42. If they are not too bulky for your intended use I'd go with the zulu 9. They have the best glass of the three.

Attachments

• 20210221_212022.jpg
    20210221_212022.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210221_212009.jpg
    20210221_212009.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 65

Flogger

FNG
Lots of good advice so far and I wholeheartedly agree that if weto stretch the budget on anything it would be bino’s.

maven is hard to beat for the money. I haven’t messed with the C1’s but I’m sure they are great for the price range. You might get lucky and find a used pair of b1’s in the classifieds and they would hold their own against anything and last a lifetime.
I just sold a pair of vortex razors on here and while they aren’t top tier glass by any means, they are pretty good considering you can find them used for 700 or less.
another option that comes to my mind is a pair of used Leica trinovids. You can find those for sub 700 as well and hand them down to your kids one day.
I hope you have a great elk hunt and stay safe

Leupold bx-4’s are good glass too. You can find killer deals on them too

Bater

WKR
Midway is also clearing out the Sig Zulu 5 8x &12x, anyone have experience w/ these?

OP
Y

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for your time and responses. I think I'm starting to be convinced to go smaller and light weight with a good FOV and light transmission for the less open and more dark timber style that I will be hunting (and maybe adding a spotter later if I get out in the open).

With that said, I'm leaning toward the 10x42 Leupold BX-4 or Maven C.1. I've did a search on both and it seems most people who comment on them lean hard to one and dismiss the other.

What's the thought here on these two? The BX-4 seems to have the better FOV over the C.1, don't know about the rest of the story. I can get the BX-4 for $399 here and Mavens are normally $350.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
The Sis Zulu 9's are great glass but they are big.

One other option is Tract Torics. They currently have the 8x42 Schott UHD demos on close out for $513. Made in Japan. These will be the best $500 glass you will find. Perfect for archery elk. Only 26.4 oz. compared to the Sig's 33.1 oz.
Lifetime warranty and even the demo's come with a 30 day no questions asked return policy, so no risk on your end.

ndayton

WKR
Thanks everyone for your time and responses. I think I'm starting to be convinced to go smaller and light weight with a good FOV and light transmission for the less open and more dark timber style that I will be hunting (and maybe adding a spotter later if I get out in the open).

With that said, I'm leaning toward the 10x42 Leupold BX-4 or Maven C.1. I've did a search on both and it seems most people who comment on them lean hard to one and dismiss the other.

What's the thought here on these two? The BX-4 seems to have the better FOV over the C.1, don't know about the rest of the story. I can get the BX-4 for $399 here and Mavens are normally $350.
My Dad has the Maven C1 which I compared to my Vortex Razors at last light while elk hunting, and found that although the Razors were clearer the brightness between the two was hard to tell with my eyes.

OP
Y

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
My Dad has the Maven C1 which I compared to my Vortex Razors at last light while elk hunting, and found that although the Razors were clearer the brightness between the two was hard to tell with my
Now I wonder if I shouldn't go with 8x42 for the FOV and low light performance instead of 10x42 if, especially if long distance identification isn't a critical factor. Any opinions on which magnification would work best for archery elk in timber?

Also, I haven't seen much discussion on the Torics. Has anyone else had experience with them?

iHunt*

Lil-Rokslider
Where I’m at in the PNW, the 8x42’s have been stellar. I mostly still hunt, If you do a lot of spot and stock, you may want to stick with the 10x42’s