Should I up the bino budget for this deal?

ndayton

WKR
Now I wonder if I shouldn't go with 8x42 for the FOV and low light performance instead of 10x42 if, especially if long distance identification isn't a critical factor. Any opinions on which magnification would work best for archery elk in timber?

Also, I haven't seen much discussion on the Torics. Has anyone else had experience with them?
I only use my bino's to locate elk moving in the early mornings and late evenings, if I am in the timber I really don't use them. I would say the 8's would be the best choice as you don't really need the extra magnification

Rodéo

WKR
Now I wonder if I shouldn't go with 8x42 for the FOV and low light performance instead of 10x42 if, especially if long distance identification isn't a critical factor. Any opinions on which magnification would work best for archery elk in timber?

Also, I haven't seen much discussion on the Torics. Has anyone else had experience with them?
I would highly recommend the Tract Toric's. Been using mine for over two years now. View is better than razors, and I currently own both. Best focus wheel I've gotten my hands on as well. Can't beat them at that price imo.

Felix40

WKR

I really like the 8x42 for elk hunting. I can spot elk from 2 miles but they are also nice in the timber when moving slow and looking close. Everyone has their own preference though.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
I did not read this whole thread...hope it was not mentioned, but under your circumstances you might consider rentals.

Wapiti1

WKR
Find a set of Pentax DCF NV 8X36. I think that they are now the AD 8X36 WP.

They are exceptional. I picked up a pair to take to Africa a couple of years ago. To my surprise, they are far better than expected. I would have no issue taking them on any hunt except coues deer. And I own Leica glass for my normal hunting use.

Seriously, they are that good.

Jeremy

OP
Y

yellarcat

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for all of your responses and help. At this point I think I have decided on an 8x42 and will create a post to see if anyone wants to sell one. If not, I can buy the $513 outlet demo.

Rodéo

WKR
Thanks everyone for all of your responses and help. At this point I think I have decided on an 8x42 and will create a post to see if anyone wants to sell one. If not, I can buy the $513 outlet demo.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good decision

EDIT: I'd sell you mine, but I think they're worth more than $513 ;)

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Don't wait too long. They'll sell out quick.

rammin79

FNG
Vortex optics are great and somewhat budget friendly. I love all of my Vortex products and they have honored their unconditional warranty on anything I have sent back. Stretch that budget and get the good stuff when it comes to optics. The rest of the money you spend does not make much sense if you can't or don't see anything due to cheaper optics. I have always heard there is no sense in buying a $1,000 gun only to place a $200 scope on it......Yeah optics matter.