Should You Hunt In Shorts? Article by Jaden Bales

Poser

WKR
This is my experience.

Attacks are way too warm for when it is warm or hot here in AZ. The material also picks very easily. They are comfortable but they’re my least favorite Kuiu pants due to their picking issues; Pros are a lot better in this regard. Pros are still too hit for when it’s warm/hot in AZ.

Tiburons rock in the heat. But anything with a point, including mosquitos, goes right through them. They also pick easily. I no longer use mine because of these issues. This is for the previous generation; don’t know if any enhancements were made on the latest release.

Kutanas are my favorite. Run them from about 25 to above 110. They are very resistant to picking; have over 70 days on a single pair and they are just now looking like they’ve been used. This is split between hunting black bear in the nastiest country AZ has and typical Coues country.

I second everything here. I have all 3 of these pants. I wear the Tiburons for summer scouting and hot September days. the Kutanas are awesome and more versatile in a wider range of conditions than the attacks IMO.

hobbes

WKR
Maybe in an antelope blind in August, hiking in mid day on the trail, or mid day in archery elk camp, but I'm sure as heck not wearing them up the side of a mountain or crawling around in sage and cactus.

I tried to warn my son about chiggers on a visit last August to Southern IL. He insisted on wearing shorts and flipflops fishing and squirrel hunting. I guess a kid that has spent the last 15 years of his 19 years living in the West had to learn about chiggers the hard way. He paid a steep price.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
not hunting, but have worn shorts successfully for summer scouting. SKRE makes a good pair. It's almost a game changer in hot weather. just can't get too far off trail or the itching begins, and on towards evening in the high country they get cool and the mosquitos have a hay day, so I put pants back on.

1641593809602.jpegMy buddy with his ca. blacktail last year. He wears shorts 7 days a week. He will wear waxed canvas chaps when quail hunting inreal thick brush but over shorts. If it gets real cold he wears long socks and pulls them up to his knees. He’s committed to the short pant.

How about convertible pants? Zip offs I mean. I have had several pairs of Northface Paramount Peak pants over the years. They're great, or they used to be, the quality has gone way down. I would wear them as shorts all summer long and then put the bottoms on and layer underneath during the winter. Very water resistant, brush resistant, lightweight and comfortable. Too bad they don't make them like they used to. I'm always confused about why more companies don't make them, especially hunting clothing companies. If you get hot you can open up the zips at the knees or just take the bottoms off and fold them up into the cargo pockets. If anyone knows of another company that is making nice convertible pants, I would love to get another pair. I wore my last two pairs of NF ones out and won't buy the new ones.

How about convertible pants? Zip offs I mean. I have had several pairs of Northface Paramount Peak pants over the years. They're great, or they used to be, the quality has gone way down. I would wear them as shorts all summer long and then put the bottoms on and layer underneath during the winter. Very water resistant, brush resistant, lightweight and comfortable. Too bad they don't make them like they used to. I'm always confused about why more companies don't make them, especially hunting clothing companies. If you get hot you can open up the zips at the knees or just take the bottoms off and fold them up into the cargo pockets. If anyone knows of another company that is making nice convertible pants, I would love to get another pair. I wore my last two pairs of NF ones out and won't buy the new ones.
I used to rock the Columbia version of these for hiking and hunting, too! I wouldn't mind a sturdy pair, but I'm not sure if they are even possible ot make given all the zips. I'm on your train though!

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot. Shorts have been my go-to lower half covering during bear season for upwards of 15 years now. Its always seemed silly to sweat like a pig for no reason. Wear calf high socks or gators if your concerned about what the wife will think about the cuts and scrapes, or you are one of those full-length mirror types. I wear some heavy Columbia ones that have pocket within pockets on each side.

Shoot. Shorts have been my go-to lower half covering during bear season for upwards of 15 years now. Its always seemed silly to sweat like a pig for no reason. Wear calf high socks or gators if your concerned about what the wife will think about the cuts and scrapes, or you are one of those full-length mirror types. I wear some heavy Columbia ones that have pocket within pockets on each side.
Hahahahahah. "Full-length mirror types." That's one I'm using now. So good.