Should You Hunt In Shorts? Article by Jaden Bales

Maverick1

WKR
I’ve hunted in shorts for many years. Anytime it’s above 65 degrees or so the shorts come out. I have shot several elk with the bow wearing shorts and a tshirt. Works excellent!

Two things that have struck me over the years:

One, as the article indicates, the underbrush will leave you looking like you got into a fight with a feral cat. That’s a trade off I am very willing to make. Most of the time I don’t notice, but at the end of the day sometimes my shins feel like death by 1000 cuts. (I’m going to try out soccer shin guards next year, breathe better than gaiters).

Two, other hunter’s reaction to seeing someone wearing shorts and carrying a bow is very interesting. They look at me like “what’s wrong with you?” and I look at them like “what’s wrong with YOU?”

I don’t wear long pants above 70 degrees at home, and I’m not going to wear them when I’m hiking up a mountain, 10000’ closer to the sun, generating a lot of body heat and sweating! I also refuse to bake in the sun when I’m sitting in the shade and it’s 90 degrees out mid-day. Did that for a few years, not anymore!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't have enough carbomask to cover my long white legs. It's easier and more functional to just wear thin breathable camo.

I wear shorts all summer long, and my legs show that. Cuts, scrapes, gouges, scabs, and blood are more than normal even around home. For elk hunting, I'd come home more bloody than I usually do. And I really like having the cargo pockets on my pants. Each one has a specific carrying purpose. Wouldn't want to lose that.

Last edited:
I’ve hunted in shorts for many years. Anytime it’s above 65 degrees or so the shorts come out. I have shot several elk with the bow wearing shorts and a tshirt. Works excellent!

Two things that have struck me over the years:

One, as the article indicates, the underbrush will leave you looking like you got into a fight with a feral cat. That’s a trade off I am very willing to make. Most of the time I don’t notice, but at the end of the day sometimes my shins feel like death by 1000 cuts. (I’m going to try out soccer shin guards next year, breathe better than gaiters).

Two, other hunter’s reaction to seeing someone wearing shorts and carrying a bow is very interesting. They look at me like “what’s wrong with you?” and I look at them like “what’s wrong with YOU?”

I don’t wear long pants above 70 degrees at home, and I’m not going to wear them when I’m hiking up a mountain, 10000’ closer to the sun, generating a lot of body heat and sweating! I also refuse to bake in the sun when I’m sitting in the shade and it’s 90 degrees out mid-day. Did that for a few years, not anymore!
This is awesome man! Haha. I like the attitude. Gonna stay tuned on the shin guards. 😆

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Shorts would be very tempting during our June bear hunts or early season elk when temps can be hot. Shot a couple spring bears in a T shirt and have rolled my pants up to cool off while glassing on multiple occassions. Called in my last elk and killed him on a real hot day in a t shirt. Can't imagine shorts would have made any difference to the elk ( would of made me a hell of allot more comfortable).

Whatever keeps you comfortable and keeps you out there hunting is the right choice.

Last edited:
I tried training in shorts a few yrs ago but id have to wear some small gaiters as pebbles would fling up out of my tread and into my boots.
Spent more time getting out pebbles then hammering.