Should you roll a sleeping bag when using a stuff sack?

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I have down sleeping bag and a Sea to Summit Event compression bag for it. Should I be rolling my sleeping back before putting it in, or just stuffing it in?

Is it wrong to do it either way? Just curious. Thanks.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes do not roll it, you do not want the down matting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I upgraded to a better down sleeping bag this year and wanted to make sure I am taking care of it so it last me a long time.

I did roll it up the other night to try out in my new event stuff sack. Was a tight fit even with it rolled, I might need to think about getting a bigger size.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I did roll it up the other night to try out in my new event stuff sack. Was a tight fit even with it rolled, I might need to think about getting a bigger size.

They dont compress nearly as well rolled. Stuffing it in there will maximize space.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
If it's down it likely has a waterproof coating on the outside shell, usually sprayed or rolled on. Turn the bag inside out and stuff it in the bag. Been doing that with mine for years, and the waterproof coating is still in great condition... Stuffing it in the stuff sack without turning the bag inside out can eventually wear that coating out...

Also, be sure to store the bag in a non-compression bag, or better yet hanging/spread out...

Sea to Summit eVent bags are awesome!!!

Also, be sure to store the bag in a non-compression bag, or better yet hanging/spread out...

Sea to Summit eVent bags are awesome!!!

Second this. Always heard that leaving a down bag in it's stuff sack is no bueno. I just leave mine lying spread out on the floor in a loft. Don't know if this applies to synthetic....would think not.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
Most bag manufacturers recommend stuffing their down bags rather than rolling, since rolling tends to create memory in the down or matting. Also just like ColoradoHunterHiker said, DON'T store in stuff sack. Either put it in a loose fit bag, lay it out, or hang it up.

OP
C

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the advice. I do keep my bag hung up and not compressed. I tried stuffing it, not rolling, in my event sack last night and it barely fit. Will be good to go in Sept.

WKR
I just stuff it in my backpack. Fills out the dead space better. I still bring the stuff sack, that's my pillow!

Always store hung or loose in a big laundry type bag.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
C

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I just stuff it in my backpack. Fills out the dead space better. I still bring the stuff sack, that's my pillow!

Always store hung or loose in a big laundry type bag.

If you use a down bag, do you worry about it getting wet at all?

WKR
Over many years guiding (hoods in the woods) and personal trips I have never had a single problem. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it never happened to me.