WTB Shoulder busting MTN rifle

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Remington came out with a Mountain Titanium that was offered in .243, 300wsm, and 325wsm. Weight was 5.5lbs. I owned the 325wsm and with my Swarovski Z6i was about 7 ½ lbs. It was brutal and just dreaded shooting it sighting it in so sold it and now have a custom 300win. My buddy still has his Mountain Ti and loves it.

brushape

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be talked into selling my 300win super light it has a lighter trigger spring, verticle grip and rokslide titanium break
20bbbc63951fddaab8c5abeccfc2be10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Alexgio518
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just catching up, thanks for everyone's input. I'll do my best to respond to key points from all the posts that stuck out to me. Starting with the most important response to IdahoElk fist :)

This is a very interesting request, why does one seek out a shoulder busting rifle to shoot an Elk? you need that shoulder to pack your animal out : )
Every pound I shave off my setup leaves another pound I can use to carry elk meat. Also I learned hiking light throughout the day will make me more ambitious about packing elk from less ideal distances and locations because I won't already be burned out from hiking in. This is mostly a mental thing.

Silencer Co Omega36m
Thank you for sharing this. I'll be looking this up for more "polite" target practice sessions.
Can anyone comment if silencers alter your drop? If I map the rifle drop with a silencer do I need to remap again after I remove the silencer?
I could be talked into selling my 300win super light it has a lighter trigger spring, verticle grip and rokslide titanium break
I'd love a PM or post here with weight, price, and round count.
300 RUM, loaded or unloaded, literally with ammo/dies and brass....
I saw this in the classifieds. It's VERY tempting to buy the entire lot, or everything except the scope so I could buy a lighter scope option to put on top. What a nice setup, I'll PM you to discuss.
I‘d strongly suggest looking at a Seekins Havak Element. Not outrageously priced, and guaranteed to shoot. Those boys in Lewiston know how to build a rifle.
If I end up not buying a used setup from the slide, this one is on my list of "premium" rifles, thanks for sharing your confidence in them.
But if you get a stock Tikka like mine, you won't have a desire to rebarrel it until the barrel is shot out.
Yes, everyone I talk to says the same thing. The finnlite or superlite still are top Budget options.
I think either a Tikka or a Sako Finnlight would for your needs without much in the way of custom work. And carrying the bipod separately would make the rifle feel lighter still.
Good luck in your search. Shopping is half the fun!
I've got a few years of western hunts and many setups on game. Personally I feel a detached bi-pod is not an option for me. I feel strongly about a 27" tall bipod that's attached to my rifle. This year's bull was good confirmation for me that a very fast deployment of setup is critical. For me it takes too many seconds to unstrap and get my pack situated for a long shot. Folding out too legs on a bipod is fast. I shoot seated looking over most sage brush, and use my ranging Leica's to provide range and drop. This makes finding, grading, seating, dialing drop and paralax VERY quick, which is important to me.
What's the term these days...'spot shots',...yeah that don't happen...lol
What is "spot shot"? i've never heard it before.
l'd probably tell you 300 RUM if there was one. More efficient than the big Weatherby offerings. You can go full custom with light component materials and get one, but that's probably a $4000 option.
Yea I'm most into 300WM, but WSM, RUM, and others are options i'd consider if they check the other boxes. I do have a strong leaning to 300WM because I already have dies, bullets, and lots of brass to build more. Finding components for swanky things like 6.5PRC, 28 Nosler, etc... seems hard to me. BUT i'd like everyone to post their experience finding reloading components for the Hip cartridges like 300PRC, 6.5PRC, 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler, etc...
What's your train of thought on scopes? Heavy or light? You go with a light rifle than put a 24oz scope on it, might as well just buy a rifle that's 7-7.5# and be more steady and put a 1 lb scope on it. Perhaps you pick out the scope you desire, add a few ounces to it, then start backing into a rifle if brand doesn't matter. This is a fun thread.
Lighter scope for sure. I really want the lightest comobo setup with 27inch bipod, scope, rings, cheek riser if needed, magazine in. I could pick the optic first, but right now i'm just budgeting little weight for the scope. When i have time i'll write down my weight budgets and post them here.
I have a Winchester 70 Stainless Classic in 300 RUM I could part with......with a decent Leupold scope it would probably be in the 7.5 pound range..not sure what a tall bipod weighs though. Not many of these around and if you needed it lighter you could shave at least 1 pound by replacing the factory composite stock...but im not so sure you want a 300 RUM to be a super lightweight anyways..
Please PM me with details, round count, and price :).
Looks like a guy just bumped a Sako Finnlight in .300wsm with Optilok rings and dies in the classifieds here. Don’t know the seller, but that rifle fits your criteria.
Thanks for the tip, i'll check it out!
Remington came out with a Mountain Titanium that was offered in .243, 300wsm, and 325wsm. Weight was 5.5lbs. I owned the 325wsm and with my Swarovski Z6i was about 7 ½ lbs. It was brutal and just dreaded shooting it sighting it in so sold it and now have a custom 300win. My buddy still has his Mountain Ti and loves it.
I will read into this. I'd consider 300WSM especially at that weight.

I'm an old over analyzer from way back so I'll beat this problem to death before I make a purchase. The community here is really giving me a ton of good ideas and thoughts.

Sincerely appreciate everyone's input.

Gobbler36

WKR
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just catching up, thanks for everyone's input. I'll do my best to respond to key points from all the posts that stuck out to me. Starting with the most important response to IdahoElk fist :)

Every pound I shave off my setup leaves another pound I can use to carry elk meat. Also I learned hiking light throughout the day will make me more ambitious about packing elk from less ideal distances and locations because I won't already be burned out from hiking in. This is mostly a mental thing.

Thank you for sharing this. I'll be looking this up for more "polite" target practice sessions.
Can anyone comment if silencers alter your drop? If I map the rifle drop with a silencer do I need to remap again after I remove the silencer?

I'd love a PM or post here with weight, price, and round count.

I saw this in the classifieds. It's VERY tempting to buy the entire lot, or everything except the scope so I could buy a lighter scope option to put on top. What a nice setup, I'll PM you to discuss.

If I end up not buying a used setup from the slide, this one is on my list of "premium" rifles, thanks for sharing your confidence in them.

Yes, everyone I talk to says the same thing. The finnlite or superlite still are top Budget options.

I've got a few years of western hunts and many setups on game. Personally I feel a detached bi-pod is not an option for me. I feel strongly about a 27" tall bipod that's attached to my rifle. This year's bull was good confirmation for me that a very fast deployment of setup is critical. For me it takes too many seconds to unstrap and get my pack situated for a long shot. Folding out too legs on a bipod is fast. I shoot seated looking over most sage brush, and use my ranging Leica's to provide range and drop. This makes finding, grading, seating, dialing drop and paralax VERY quick, which is important to me.

What is "spot shot"? i've never heard it before.

Yea I'm most into 300WM, but WSM, RUM, and others are options i'd consider if they check the other boxes. I do have a strong leaning to 300WM because I already have dies, bullets, and lots of brass to build more. Finding components for swanky things like 6.5PRC, 28 Nosler, etc... seems hard to me. BUT i'd like everyone to post their experience finding reloading components for the Hip cartridges like 300PRC, 6.5PRC, 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler, etc...

Lighter scope for sure. I really want the lightest comobo setup with 27inch bipod, scope, rings, cheek riser if needed, magazine in. I could pick the optic first, but right now i'm just budgeting little weight for the scope. When i have time i'll write down my weight budgets and post them here.

Please PM me with details, round count, and price :).

Thanks for the tip, i'll check it out!

I will read into this. I'd consider 300WSM especially at that weight.

I'm an old over analyzer from way back so I'll beat this problem to death before I make a purchase. The community here is really giving me a ton of good ideas and thoughts.

Sincerely appreciate everyone's input.
Yes it changed mine and made it a little faster, I always hunt with my suppressor so I did my drop charts after the suppressor

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Two pieces of input. First, a suppressor generally bumps velocity up 50fps or so, depending on a bunch of variables. Buy one if you would enjoy shooting with one in general, and then use it for group testing. Find your load, pop the can off and do final sight in and you'll be golden. Not 100% foolproof but usually works that way. There's some harmonics that can change with a can where croups may open up or tighten down with/without the can, but usually it's pretty similar. But, Poi will change so final sight in needs to be with your hunting setup.

Second, I know you probably want a longer range rifle but my brother recently snagged a Remington 600 in 350 Remington mag, topped with a 2.5-8 Leupold. The loaded rifle and scope is 6.2#. it's ridiculous. I can get about 7-8 shots before I'm worn out from it. But, a build like that would be an Ultralight hammer for closer range shots. I won't pretend to know the ballistics on the 350 well, but I expect a 300wm will out-energy it in a few hundred yards. But, something to keep an eye out for

OP
Alexgio518
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Two pieces of input. First, a suppressor generally bumps velocity up 50fps or so, depending on a bunch of variables. Buy one if you would enjoy shooting with one in general, and then use it for group testing. Find your load, pop the can off and do final sight in and you'll be golden. Not 100% foolproof but usually works that way. There's some harmonics that can change with a can where croups may open up or tighten down with/without the can, but usually it's pretty similar. But, Poi will change so final sight in needs to be with your hunting setup.

Second, I know you probably want a longer range rifle but my brother recently snagged a Remington 600 in 350 Remington mag, topped with a 2.5-8 Leupold. The loaded rifle and scope is 6.2#. it's ridiculous. I can get about 7-8 shots before I'm worn out from it. But, a build like that would be an Ultralight hammer for closer range shots. I won't pretend to know the ballistics on the 350 well, but I expect a 300wm will out-energy it in a few hundred yards. But, something to keep an eye out for

Thanks for your thoughts here. I wouldn’t mind practicing and doing a bunch of range time with a suppressor at my property. Then getting really good drop info without it for my hunt. We’ll see if I have that much testing time on my hands.

- Alexgio518

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts here. I wouldn’t mind practicing and doing a bunch of range time with a suppressor at my property. Then getting really good drop info without it for my hunt. We’ll see if I have that much testing time on my hands.

- Alexgio518
It would certainly help you learn the rifle without developing a flinch. It's a big investment for that, but if you're able to then it would be worth it

tomatz

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've got a Christensen Classic Hunter in 300 RUM I am thinking of getting rid of.

Coastal Raider

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I came across a lightened titanium action rifle in some .300+ Weatherby mag at a gun shop, on consignment a few weeks ago. With the skinny barrel and composite stock, it fealt like it was in the sub 6 lb range and not any fun at all. I think it was listed for $1250 or $1500?
Ooof: I looked it up, it's a Rifles, Inc. Strata. Not Ti, still very expensive.
Can you tell me where that Rifles, Inc is listed, please? Thanks!

OP
Alexgio518
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
As promised here is a weight budget for my rifle below.
1638980319520.png

Last edited:

slvrslngr

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about that 270Weatherby listed in the classifieds?

OP
Alexgio518
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks for point that out. I had seen the listing for the Model 70 custom, but it's a bit over the weight budget. Also this points back to a question I asked in the middle of one of my long replies. I'm uncertain how difficult it will be to get components for a cartridge like 270 WBY mag.

I've been sourcing parts for 300WM for 3 years now and I know what i'm in for. I'd love to hear peoples feedback about what has been easy to get and hard to get the past 1 to 2 years. I'm hesitant to move toward 300PRC or 6.5PRC or 28 Nosler which are all great rounds but I dont know how it is getting reloading components.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Browning Mountain Titanium in 270 WSM with Leupold 3-9x40. 7.1 lbs

Attachments

• 11C328B5-DA7E-4D2F-9604-5618EE7C3A7C.jpeg
    11C328B5-DA7E-4D2F-9604-5618EE7C3A7C.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 2A746724-469E-484D-A4CD-4EACE6671B56.jpeg
    2A746724-469E-484D-A4CD-4EACE6671B56.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 193C1AA5-2B0C-4CDF-8E87-BED1FA3A958B.jpeg
    193C1AA5-2B0C-4CDF-8E87-BED1FA3A958B.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 62
  • AEAD3A1F-9410-4E02-A068-370EF3CF8F5E.jpeg
    AEAD3A1F-9410-4E02-A068-370EF3CF8F5E.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 25A6670D-EC64-49E7-917A-4CE29D013E2C.jpeg
    25A6670D-EC64-49E7-917A-4CE29D013E2C.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 65
OP
Alexgio518
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
UPDATE; I bailed on tonight’s trip to the store to be sure I get the right model. Guy at the store mentioned something about a veil model in stock? Further reading.

I’ve decided to go with the Tikka T3x Superlite in 300 WM. Im driving down to sportsman’s later tonight to pick one up. Will be checking this thread in case someone else wants to sell a used one this afternoon.

I’d prefer the blued barrel version because I believe it’s a little lighter than the stainless version.

Thanks for everyone’s help! I had to resist several tempting offers for much higher end rifles. But alas, I need to send 3 kids to college some day so I’ve decided to invest the difference in the $4,000 packages people offered. So many nice rifles out there and I can’t wait to build one like that.

- Alexgio518

Last edited:

OregonInAlaska

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UPDATE; I bailed on tonight’s trip to the store to be sure I get the right model. Guy at the store mentioned something about a veil model in stock? Further reading.

I’ve decided to go with the Tikka T3x Superlite in 300 WM. Im driving down to sportsman’s later tonight to pick one up. Will be checking this thread in case someone else wants to sell a used one this afternoon.

I’d prefer the blued barrel version because I believe it’s a little lighter than the stainless version.

Thanks for everyone’s help! I had to resist several tempting offers for much higher end rifles. But alas, I need to send 3 kids to college some day so I’ve decided to invest the difference in the $4,000 packages people offered. So many nice rifles out there and I can’t wait to build one like that.

- Alexgio518

Good luck on your venture. Mine has been pretty luck for me so far. It’s done an excellent job of filling my freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

- Alexgio518
This is very interesting that you chose this. I’m in a similar situation. I want a Tikka Alpine Veil in a .300 WM (can’t find one) or the Tikka Ember ( not even sure they are available in the U.S.
All the research I’ve done for a mountain rifle has led me to these two choices with the Browning Hell’s canyon a close second.
Looking forward to a report on your gun and best of luck.

tdhanses

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

- Alexgio518
Personally i wouldn’t go with blued over stainless to save a few ounces yet have to deal with more rust.