Shoulder Dislocation/Subluxation

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
Right on schedule. Started back at the gym. I go to a class/hiit type place called F45. Sticking to the lower intensity weight type days and modifying a bunch but it's nice to get some movement in.

Have my next orthopedic appointment next week at 2.5 months post op.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
Right on schedule. Started back at the gym. I go to a class/hiit type place called F45. Sticking to the lower intensity weight type days and modifying a bunch but it's nice to get some movement in.

Have my next orthopedic appointment next week at 2.5 months post op.
That is good to hear. I am doing some lower body stuff trying to keep from regressing too much.

How is working out going? Are you having any ROM restrictions?

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
ROM? I'm taking the approach of doing what I can for legs or just one handed versions of the exercises. Then fill in with my PT exercises where it's not feasible to try or modify the intended move

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
ROM = Range of motion

What kind of restrictions has your PT given you? Any idea on when they'll let you touch a bow or wear a pack?

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
External rotation is the hardest to get back. I've basically got all but that.

They indicated I could start more weight training type things at 4 months post op. So that's my rough timeline on pulling my bow back. I'm right handed and it's my self shoulder. I don't remember how long before I shot my bow when it was my right shoulder.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
That is good. Sounds like you were pretty active before so hopefully it comes back quick.

My bow arm is the one that was fixed too. 4 months is not too bad. How concerned is your PT about reinjury?

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think significantly concerned. My right shoulder still seems to be ok and I had it fixed 9 years ago.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
Good to hear. I have been labeled as high risk by my doctor (I think). This is my 6th surgery with them. Reinjury is something I have come to respect quite a bit.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
In their defense it was split between two knees and a patient that was not adhering to restrictions. Only had two need redone, just business as usual on the rest, albeit with additional screws.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
I think that is most problems. I follow the PT to a T. I'm not willing to be a repeat customer because I'm too stubborn to follow the rules.
It’s crazy what happens when you don’t do what you’re told by a doctor.

I like to think I’m a little smarter now. The extra week or two I got to cheat the restrictions was not worth the extra recovery.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
I had Labrum surgery end of February. They also trimmed up the cartilage, cut the bicep tendon, and cut off bone spurs. I started PT 1 week after surgery. I'm surprised they said 6 weeks after for you. It seems like a long time. Overall I wasn't in hardly any pain after surgery and after 2 days I didn't need to take any pain killers. I thought recovery was going to be really fast because of the lack of pain and how good it felt.

But it doesn't seem fast anymore haha. I've been working out the shoulder with weights and it's obviously pretty weak. I don't have full ROM back yet either. I am following PT to a T also. I want this to be a one time deal.

Hopefully you are back to shooting in a short time.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
I had Labrum surgery end of February. They also trimmed up the cartilage, cut the bicep tendon, and cut off bone spurs. I started PT 1 week after surgery. I'm surprised they said 6 weeks after for you. It seems like a long time. Overall I wasn't in hardly any pain after surgery and after 2 days I didn't need to take any pain killers. I thought recovery was going to be really fast because of the lack of pain and how good it felt.

But it doesn't seem fast anymore haha. I've been working out the shoulder with weights and it's obviously pretty weak. I don't have full ROM back yet either. I am following PT to a T also. I want this to be a one time deal.

Hopefully you are back to shooting in a short time.
I would much preferred starting PT earlier. I do not know why I got pushed back

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
I went to the doc last week. They said I could *probably* start shooting at 4 months post op since its my left shoulder and I shoot right handed. They suggested that I will still have to be very cautious about any overhead throwing type movements through to 6 months post op.

*Probably - They said we'd talk about shooting and pushups/burpees at the next checkup which will be at 3.5 months post op.

Otherwise, starting to build back to normal day to day activities. I find myself not feeling discomfort as much while doing daily stuff (think dishes up high) but I catch myself doing it and try to be cautious. I take this as a very good sign.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
That is great. Glad you are getting some use back. 4 months is not too bad. It should give you plenty of time before season.

How're you working out? I am doing one armed deadlifts, cleans, and kb swings as well as lunges and stuff. You being given any extra freedom on that front?

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
I've gone back to my HIIT gym (F45). I'm modifying exercises that I can and mixing in my PT exercises where I can't. So one armed exercises that you mentioned, one armed presses. one armed snatches, rows with some bands, lots of leg stuff, some ab stuff, some spin bike. I waited until 2 months post op to start.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Can I join the team? I had rotator cuff and biceps reattachment yesterday. The nerve block is now wearing off.