Shoulder Dislocation/Subluxation

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Not gonna lie. This is painful. But it is what it is and others have more serious problems. What day does it start getting less painful?

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
Not gonna lie. This is painful. But it is what it is and others have more serious problems. What day does it start getting less painful?
I had mine on Monday. By Friday or Saturday I was good.

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
Don't skimp on the meds for a few days. Set alarms to wake up to take them. You do NOT want to fall behind. Use the shit out of the ice circulation machine.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
@Winnie How are you holding up?

I started PT last week. External rotation sucks. Lost a lot of strength and it looks noticeably smaller. Forearms look super tiny. Not sore or anything though.

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
External rotation is the hardest part. I'm finally at full range of motion without the PT really having to yank on it

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Hammy, doing ok. 2 weeks tomorrow from surgery. the nights are not fun and Saturday afternoon sucked. but other times i am pain free. do you guys have some....i dont know how to characterize it....it feels like my deltoid muscle rolls a little. scares me. lots of deltoid tightness and stiffness.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
I am well below the goal for external rotation. Overhead extension I hit pretty easily. It is going to be a bit to get where I need to be.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
Hammy, doing ok. 2 weeks tomorrow from surgery. the nights are not fun and Saturday afternoon sucked. but other times i am pain free. do you guys have some....i dont know how to characterize it....it feels like my deltoid muscle rolls a little. scares me. lots of deltoid tightness and stiffness.
Good to hear man. The pain does go away.

That was one of the worst parts for me. It is like your delt decide to spasm and grab for no reason. Not at all fun and super painful at the beginning. I do not remember when mine stopped but they stop hurting well before that. I was told that it was normal and that it is not going to affect my recovery, just that it was unpleasant.

prm

WKR
Well, this is not encouraging. Ran across this thread after starting one of my own on dislocated shoulders. Popped mine out on Saturday. Looked like my arm was trying to push out through the top of my shoulder. Not pretty. Got it reset at hospital. Appt with orthopedic doc tomorrow. Judging how sensitive it is to the smallest movement, I’ll have some work ahead to get back to functional.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
Well, this is not encouraging. Ran across this thread after starting one of my own on dislocated shoulders. Popped mine out on Saturday. Looked like my arm was trying to push out through the top of my shoulder. Not pretty. Got it reset at hospital. Appt with orthopedic doc tomorrow. Judging how sensitive it is to the smallest movement, I’ll have some work ahead to get back to functional.
Good luck! It is not fun but if it is necessary there are worse things.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
how are we all doing in here?

I just got cleared to shoot today. Have my 20lb Genesis ready to go!

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I am coming along. Way less painful at night. Out of the sling (except in public to keep the goofballs from slapping your shoulder---sometimes it doesn't even deter them!). I am right on schedule according to my PT. I did try and mount my shotgun the other day....no way. Moved it about an inch. But I did shoot a coon with a .22, so I am on the board in 2021!

For those that read this thread in the future...don't underestimate this surgery. I am not going to sugar coat it...it sucks for the first month. That first month is pretty hard to do anything by yourself. Think about that when you schedule it. Clear your schedule for the first week or 2 for sure. But it is worth it to regain full use of your shoulder. the shoulder is the most complex join in your body. And you really need it to function 100%.

We should post up little tips and tricks we learned. First one I can think of is use a dish towel for a sling when you shower. Note that most dish towels expand when wet so it will lower your arm. But once you get that figured out, it works really well.

Secondly, if you have a wife or significant other, let them know you will need some serious care that first week or so. My wife was amazing. You will greatly appreciate all they will need to do for you, so take them out for dinner or something before the surgery to pre-thank them!

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
I slept in the recliner for 3 months. and the ice circulation machine is worth every penny. and you have to do the PT and and and....

I am going to pick up my bow this weekend and see how it goes

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
I was sleeping in a recliner until I was out of my sling.

Ice machine was worth it's weight in gold.

For the first two weeks I was a potato.

My number 1 tip:

Buy squeeze bottle everything. Jelly, ketchup, mayo, etc...