Shoulder impingments

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone here deal with impingment shoulder issues? Ive had a surgery on it 10 years ago and still have issues. Trying to get into weight lifting, at the moment doing mobility and light weight and stretching multiple times.

Im hoping that eventually ill build enough muscle to support the joint, or is this something that never goes away.

This past year has shown me even pain, going slow that goals are attainable, and planning on my 2020 being more of the same. At 37 ive still got some good years left in me.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Band pull aparts are your new best friend. Learn them, love them, live them.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been back in the gym since February. Definitely dumbbells and go slow. Listen to you body.

Find the best physical therapist in your area. Go talk with him/her and do as they say, even if it means visits twice a week. I had a BAD snow skiing crash at 82mph on hard pack, landed on my left shoulder. Torn Labrum. Worked my ass off twice a week in his office, like pouring sweat for 3 months. Was released and continued on my own in the gym with a specific routine. Avoided surgery by doing this and shoulder is 100%.

OP
S

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Thats the issue. Already had a surgery and this is what i was left with.

Ive always avoided weight training, but hitting that middle age it shit or get off the pot.

Thats the issue. Already had a surgery and this is what i was left with.

Ive always avoided weight training, but hitting that middle age it shit or get off the pot.

Let them know that as well. A GOOD PT will help bring that thing back from the dead. Maybe not 100%, depending on severity, but get it as close as possible.
Good luck man. Shoulders are no joke. I no longer bench crazy heavy but instead do rows like crazy.

*zap*

WKR
63 years old and fixed my similar issue with strength training and band work. If all goes well my shoulders should be as good as anyone's by years end. Listen to your body and get a good pt for guidance.
Working on continuing increasing draw weight right now....

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
Watch about everything Jeff has on shoulder issues. Here is one to start.

I love rokslide but this is the last place I would be trying to get advice about “shoulder impingement” issues. You really need to talk to a quality doc or PT. This is a great community but even the best PT’s in the world don’t really answer to many questions on forums or social media because each case is slightly different.

With all that said a quick google search for shoulder impingement can lead you down a path of things to try/avoid.

Eric Cressey is one of the leaders in shoulder health and the go to guy for a ton of Major League Baseball players. He has a ton of quality info on his website

OP
S

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Dr and pt already on the books. Just friendly discussion. What works for one doesnt always work for another. As of now all weight training is on hold until after my hunt and first appointment with pt. Have already spoken with the dr. And setting the plan in motion.

Its been good to join the gym and go every day as most of the drs and therapist do as well. When they see you going 6 days a week they tend to give help a little more freely and help attain a goal.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I like barbell movements personally. I use form queues from powerlifting (Alan Thrall and Joey Szatmery (spelling that wrong for sure)) and everytime I do upper body work I do face pulls and band pulls parts with a resistance band.

For shoulder issues I had surgery to remove the front half of my first rib and the mid and anterior scalene muscles to fix neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome (the artery, vein, and nerves going into my left arm where getting pinched off). I currently have a SLAP, ALPSA lesion and tear in the supraspinatal tendon (my labrum and rotator cuff are bad). My pain goes down the more I lift with good form. Form slips and I know immediately cause my shoulder isn’t shy about telling me. It’s been 10 years since I injured it and I still do the same exercises everyday I was told to do at PT when I first hurt it. Hopefully you find what makes it not hurt for you and get back to not having to think about it!

Mable300

Lil-Rokslider
YouTube search “smashwerks” a guy by the name of Trevor Bachmeyer, licensed chiropractor has a lot of advise and tips. Helped me with both my shoulder issues.

afalcone

FNG
I know your pain after three shoulder surgeries myself. My suggestion to you is to find a good PT near you that specializes in shoulders. I have tried everything and find the best relief from dry needling. I have had to teach myself to shoot my bow left handed to continue using a compound bow. I still lift fairly heavy and maintain a low pain level with weekly visits to my PT. Stay away from anything overhead workout related and absolutely do not barbell bench press stick to dumbbells. Good luck

Wrench

WKR
I have had 2 and it was a good pt (St Lukes in Spokane, Washington)....look them up as a comparison to what is offered in your area.

The stretches, the bands, the knowledge of HOW to move, body blade....all of it adds up.

I went from shooting a #70 long bow to having surgery to asking my doc to cut it off to another surgery to shooting a #55 longbow again.

It's not fast....but it's worth it.

Poser

WKR
My question is what are you guys doing that is causing shoulder impingement? It’s usually caused by applying force to the shoulders at suboptimal angles. You don’t just get it doing normal human functions, at least you don’t if you are using good pressing technique.

From my experience, the most common causes are:

Improper bench press technique
Dumbbell presses
Behind the neck presses

I could see maybe archery causing problems but only if you’re shoulders aren’t sufficiently strong enough to stabilize the Draw weight. I’ve experienced it a little bit with really bad snowboard crashes where I land on the back of my shoulder, Rolling it forward and pinching some tissue between the scapula, but that’s a rather extreme and violent example.

What are you guys doing wrong?

My question is what are you guys doing that is causing shoulder impingement? It’s usually caused by applying force to the shoulders at suboptimal angles. You don’t just get it doing normal human functions, at least you don’t if you are using good pressing technique.

From my experience, the most common causes are:

Improper bench press technique
Dumbbell presses
Behind the neck presses

I could see maybe archery causing problems but only if you’re shoulders aren’t sufficiently strong enough to stabilize the Draw weight. I’ve experienced it a little bit with really bad snowboard crashes where I land on the back of my shoulder, Rolling it forward and pinching some tissue between the scapula, but that’s a rather extreme and violent example.

What are you guys doing wrong?
Poor posture... Baseball/softball, archery... Those are my 3.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

adaptablesurvival

Lil-Rokslider
I've experienced this in my left shoulder about 5 years ago. Took me about 9 months of rehab to gain full mobility again. What I've done since is really focus on a dynamic warm up (no static stretching in my warm up), then move into my workout for the day. I usually focus on using bodyweight, dumbbells and barbells (usually for squats/deadlifts only). At the end of my workout after cardio, I focus on static stretching and mobility work. On my non-lifting days, I do cardio and mobility work again. I throw in some yoga from time to time, but plan on making it atleast once a week. A big thing you will want to focus on, is building the range of motion slowly and try not to rush it. Just some things that helped me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Poor posture... Baseball/softball, archery... Those are my 3.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Baseball is a common culprit, especially if you have a wonky throw.

Archery: do you get in your pulling shoulder or stabilizing shoulder? My guess is the pulling shoulder simply because pulling up to cheek level torques the shoulder a bit.

Posture: seems like it would have to pretty bad for a long time for the scapula to roll forward enough to pinch anything.