Shoulder injury?

Slim Jim

WKR
Has anyone had problems with their drawing arm shoulder?

I have been shooting a lot for the last year and this last week my draw shoulder has been killing me. I still have full range of motion and strength still there but at night it starts aching and can't sleep very well. I think it might be tendinitis but not sure. It aches towards back of delt and blade, has any of you guys ever had this issue?

I'm having shoulder issues right now. Not sure what it is. Think I might have shoulder impingement. Liftin my shoulder high makes it hurt. Drawing my bow doesn't hurt, but being at full draw hurts it. Been like that since November. I keep resting it and ice ing it but not going away.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I've been taking anti inflammatories and I'm going for a last effort in AZ with the muleys next weekend. After that weekend I plan on not shooting for a couple weeks to give it a rest. Hopefully it goes away. I'm going to a thumb release so I hope that helps because a grip pulling back will use biceps as well as shoulders. Right now with a wrist index finger release, I draw back using all shoulder

hunting1

WKR
Funny you post this. I am turning 40-in 2-months, but about 8-years ago I was playing ball with my oldest and was showing off and damaged the muscles in my right shoulder. It has been progressively getting worse. I turned all my bows down to 62-lbs this weekend. I think between the ball and the high poundage time is paying me back.
For what it is worth I killed my first elk with 60-lbs, so I think all the extra is just stress on the joints. I am going to get it looked at on my next check up. I have cut back the number of arrows I shoot and ibuprofen is my friend.

Yeah, I feel your pain. I have had shoulder problems as well. I just lowered by poundage a bit and bought a new bow with super smooth cams. I also try to use those bow exercise yolk tube things to strengthen my shoulders under less harsh conditions. Our sport is kind of rough on shoulders!

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
You guys might want to consider going to an Orthopedic surgeon. At least figure out what damage you have, and maybe get a recommendation on some PT that will help,you out.
I went through all this 6 years ago, tried to treat it my self, and it just got worse. Went to an Ortho, did PT, got Cortizone shots, but it was too late, damage was already done. Wound up having surgery, tear repairs and a biceps tectomety, 12 weeks PT afterwards.
All is well now, but I still have some issues, especially if I slack off on my exercises.
Just laying off shooting your bow for a few weeks is not going to help you in the long term.

You guys might want to consider going to an Orthopedic surgeon. At least figure out what damage you have, and maybe get a recommendation on some PT that will help,you out.
I went through all this 6 years ago, tried to treat it my self, and it just got worse. Went to an Ortho, did PT, got Cortizone shots, but it was too late, damage was already done. Wound up having surgery, tear repairs and a biceps tectomety, 12 weeks PT afterwards.
All is well now, but I still have some issues, especially if I slack off on my exercises.
Just laying off shooting your bow for a few weeks is not going to help you in the long term.

That's really wise input. I have had it checked out, cause I thought I may have torn my rotator...they said it was just strained and I needed to lay off of it for a while.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I had the wife dig in it last night with elbow and located it. It's on the outside of shoulder blade where it meets the shoulder just about the rear deltoid. At least I can pinpoint it to tell the Dr or PT to get help for it

I had the wife dig in it last night with elbow and located it. It's on the outside of shoulder blade where it meets the shoulder just about the rear deltoid. At least I can pinpoint it to tell the Dr or PT to get help for it

That will be helpful. You really should get it looked at. Good luck!

I had a partial tear repaired in my shooting shoulder last March and was back shooting by July. PT is your friend...

Mike

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Do you shoot compound or trad? I used to shoot compound but ripped my rotator cuff in an accident and i could no longer pull back my compound to get it "over the hump". So i tried switching to trad. I got a 40# bow and found i could pull it back MUCH easier, i eventually moved to a 45# and have stayed there for two years. I find that since i only pull back for a very quick moment it is completely doable. Holding a compound back and sighting in with the sights etc was too much for me, and that was even if i could pull it back to begin with.

I have been very happy with my switch to trad, not only because i can shoot again, but i have fallen in love with instinctive shooting. Even if i had never hurt my shoulder, i would never pick up a compound again.

hunting1

WKR
A quick unpdate for whatever it is worth, finally went to the doctor and got an exray. Will let you guys on the fence know what they say. The good news is I have time before archery season and she said she is sure it is not the rotator, but the ligament on the collar. I cranked down the bows to 62-lbs as well, take care of the shoulders!

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Wow, that is exactly what my Dr said. I get my MRI next Tuesday. I can't wait to see what the problem is. It has been feeling better so I think that it is probably tendinitis. Either way I should be good to start flinging arrows soon, just need to always stretch and warm up beforehand

gotllamas

FNG
In 2009 I had bone spurs removed and a small tear repaired where the bicep reattaches in my right shoulder. Could not fly fishing, shoot my bow or work without a lot a of pain. I lived with the pain for about four years before going in to see the doctor. I too turned the bows down but the pain stayed. I had surgery and did exactly what my rehab person had me do. The only thing I regret is that I waited so long to have the surgery. The surgery was the easy part, rehab was hard and painfull. Do the rehab correct and you have a quick recovery.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Just got results from MRI on my shoulder and I have an 80-90% tear of my supraspinatus tendon. I'm getting referred to an orthopedic Dr to find out my options.
WTF! I hope rehab is an option because I don't want surgery.

Just got results from MRI on my shoulder and I have an 80-90% tear of my supraspinatus tendon. I'm getting referred to an orthopedic Dr to find out my options.

Partial is better than full tear! Best of luck!

Mike

hunting1

WKR

I have my Ortho appointment on the 19th, so I too am hoping it is rehab, cortozone shot, and be well son! Atleast we have no rotator issues!

Shortdraw

FNG
Familiar sounding story. Like most of you I have always been a very active athlete. Rock climbing, kayaking, lots of weights, a few sports injuries, a few bad decisions injuries. Since a dislocation I have always had pain throwing a ball. Over the last year and a half it became progressively harder/more painful to lift my arm over shoulder level. Crossfit flared it up even more. Cortisone made the pain go away but was only temporary. Potentially long story short, I had tears in my labrum (aka SLAP tear) and supraspinatus. Had surgery (bicep tenodesis) at Steadman-Hawkins in Vail a month ago and they did a great job. I was out of my sling in a few days and making great progress. Back in the day, SLAP tear surgery was a 9 month ordeal. I expect to be pulling a light longbow in another month. Only problem is I have to be careful I don't hurt it because I feel so good already. I actually regret not getting the surgery done sooner.

BTW, a bicep tenodesis is often used as an alternative to a labrum repair. I have friends in their 40s and early 50s (i'm 51) who are back to hard (5.12-5.13) rock climbing after this surgery. If you are diagnosed with a SLAP tear, ask your surgeon about this option.