Shoulder Mount Help

We are in the process of building a house and plan to hang a Yukon Moose above the fireplace. I figured to have one by now but COVID has pushed this hunt 2 years so far.

The wall is 14ft high then vaults up from there towards center of the room. Wanting to put extra blocking in the wall at mounting location. Anyone know the rough distance from the top of the mount to the hanger or from bottom of brisket to the hanger? Also what’s a good height to hang? I just need to get within hand grenades as I’ll allow for a few feet of adjustment. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The distance from top of mount to hanger or brisket to hanger varies on every single mount. All depends on where the taxidermist decides to put it. I would hang it as high as you can.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Is your wall entirely flush across it or does the framing step out the width of your hearth? Depending on the answer, you could sheath the entire section above the hearth [if the framing steps out] with plywood under your gyp and flush that section of wall out - then it doesn't matter.
Alternatively, let-in your 2x solid blocking in the center framing for a good area of the wall - again, you are bound to be close with an approach like that. You could probably ladder gap the flat blocking several inches and still get there.
Blocking is cheap at this point - not so much after the fact.

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
like said above but i'll chime in a little more, the location of the hangers depends on the turn/shape of form, they have to be centered depending on the form to keep them from rotating, it's also going to depend on your form pose whether it's upright, semi upright, semi sneek, etc. By that, i mean if you are basing where it's going by say the tip of the horns, a semi sneek horn tip are going to be much lower overall than a full upright, so say you were putting a moose mount in a normal house w/8' walls then you'd wanna use a full sneak pose due to height restrictions. If it were me i'd throw a couple rows of 2x10 or 12's across general area and your gonna be fine. And lastly, i hope it's not a wood burning fireplace, if so i would not hang it above it as your going to have problems.

Last edited:
OP
Ohio Darin
Thanks for the replies. It’s a vented gas fireplace. The fireplace section bumps out from the regular wall 4”. Unfortunately the fireplace is already set. The entire wall is skinned in 1/2” plywood for the stone veneer to go on. Rest of the room has 1/2” plywood under the drywall for my other mounts but I’m just not trusting that for a moose. I think I’ll just come off the ceiling line a few feet and put 4 feet of blocking 12” wide in the center and call it good. Plan is for an upright mount turned to left

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a Carpenter and built a house for one of my friends who is a serious trophy hunter. He has a room 20'x36' with a vaulted ceiling . When we framed it we ran two rows of 2x10 blocking horizontally to hang shoulder mounts from. I would consider the 3/4'' plywood mentioned above but would want the screw that holds the moose mount up to engage more than just one layer of 3/4'' ply. I grew up in the Yukon and Moose antlers if large will make 50 pounds by themselves without the rest of the shoulder mount, also the leverage of that weight not being tight to the wall to consider.