Shoulder Pain

Apollo117

WKR
Thanks guys a ton for all the info. I went and shot today and it was way better. I was comfy shooting about 40 rounds today. Just a slight manageable bit of soreness.
What I did was get the butt about a half an inch lower on my shoulder. It made a world of a difference. I have a LimbSaver pad coming in if it fits. Lots of bad reviews on those things as far as fitment. I did not want to pay a gunsmith to put on a grind to fit one.
Problems I see are my rings are too low. When I put the gun lower on my shoulder, putting my head down comfortably I’m almost looking over my scope. I also don’t get a good cheek placement when I put the butt lower. I really need a riser I believe. But it was doable today and I was way more comfortable.

I would like to buy a new stock but it’s not really in the budget currently. The gun is for elk and mule deer so I need to not go too heavy. I’ll have to see after shooting a bit more I may get one.

In the spring when I go home I’ve got a 12+ pound 22-250 I’m bringing back here. That think has no recoil so it will be perfect for the range.

On the plus side I shot my first handloads out of it today. Shot pretty well.

Thanks for the help and I made a lot of progress today.
First, thanks for the update OP.

About the grind to fit. No need for a smith. A belt sander is $30 or $40 at a pawn shop. That, plus a gun vice or some C clamps and tape and you can do your own grind to fit. Remember to go slow and measure often. It's hard to mess up.

DRD

FNG
+1 for the APA brakes. Aggressive but really tame recoil. Make sure neighbors know your about to send one downrange. #1 in PRS

OP
L
My current rings and stock location for me to get the butt low off my collar bone I feel I have to bend my neck down at a weird angle past comfortable. I feel higher rings and higher cheek rest would help keep the butt down and keep my cheek and neck comfortable.

If the pre fit one does not fit I will order a grind to fit one and just do that. It looks real easy to do with the right tools. Just don’t be an idiot. My stock is not nice anyways if I do screw it up.

I really don’t think I need a muzzle break. Plus this is a deer gun. It’s really not bad recoil. I think I just needed to fix a few things like pad and form and I’m in a much better place.

spin

FNG
Try moving the butt of the rifle up and out on your shoulder. Almost to where it turns into your arm. The top of the butt even with the top of your shoulder. It works.

I would have similar issues from time to time. It’s a result of inconsistent placement and poor form. Move the butt up and out and try it for a day at the range.

Like most things on boards, I’m sure someone will be along shortly to suggest I’m wrong. Try it once for a day at the range and decide yourself. You may be surprised how much better it really is. Pick up Nathan Foster’s book on long range shooting to get more insights into the technique. It’s been great for me.

OP
L
Got the pad in. It looks good. Had to drill a mounting hole in my stock because only one lined up. Ready to try Saturday. Hopefully it helps.

I would definitely stop shooting that many rounds if your getting pain. Once you develop a flinch it's hard to go back. Wait until you can afford to swap out some components or get a different rig.

OP
L
Like I have said it’s way better. I have kinda figured it out. Plus I quit shooting for the time being the steel butt plate mosin. Last weekend virtually no pain. Got a new recoil pad so that should help too.

OP
L
Got to shoot this weekend and it was freezing so I did have like 4 layers on but man no pain at all. Thing was sweet