Shoulder pops when drawing bow

I've been having a problem lately that when draw my bow (65 lb) my shoulder has a loud pop to it. It's loud enough that my brother can hear it and he was asking about it. I just recently started getting into weightlifting again (did it for about 1.5 yrs) and I'm wondering if I messed up my shoulder a little. I'm slightly concerned but I'm very puzzled about it because it doesn't hurt when it pops, it's just loud and I can feel it. If I draw slowly it doesn't do it.

The only solution I'm thinking that might help is to lower my bow weight till I can draw normally and then slowly increase the weight until I'm back to full draw weight

Any other ideas or suggestions or knowledge on what might be causing this? It's not a huge deal yet but I'm only 20 and really don't wanna have a bad shoulder once I get older. All insight is greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Get a massage. Acupressure type would probably be great. Chances are you have some muscle strands knotted up from the weight lifting that is putting uneven pressure on your shoulder joint and causing it to bind up and then pop back as you draw.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You most likely have an imbalance in the muscles surrounding your shoulder joint. And/or you've been hitting the flat bench hard and heavy, shoving you humerus back into the glenoid cavity of the shoulder joint.

When I was about your age (almost 30 now), it seemed that the flat bench was the end all be all of upper body strength. 300lb or bust was pretty much my mentality. As a result, I had jacked up shoulders that would pop and crack.

My fix was to ditch the heavy flat bench and work all sides of the joint equally. Do some cable face pulls and work on feeling the target muscles, rather than just pushing weight. A little mobility work and warm-up goes a long way too.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Google Keith Weber Waking up the system. The little shoulder rotation thing has significantly reduced my shoulder pops. That, yoga, and taking it easy on the bench would be my advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
a_noob_hunter
Which shoulder.......bow arm or draw arm?
Draw arm. I talked with a guy from work who has done extensive training. I'm gonna try and balance my workouts better. Do more pull-ups and rows and flys. I rarely did those and I think that's what's contributed/caused to the imbalance

It can be either be synovial pop which is nitrogen escaping the synovial capsule in your shoulder joint, tendon rolling over bone or degradation in the capsule itself.
You should get it checked out.

nrothfus

FNG
I'm also thinking you likely have a muscle imbalance or some overly tight muscles in the shoulder area. I had a very similar issue, where it got so bad I thought I tore a rotator cuff. I went and found someone to do a deep tissue massage, and it immediately helped to alleviate the problem. Afterwards I then worked to keep stretching it and balance the muscles better. Just make sure if you go for this type of massage, that they are more sports oriented. A nice relaxing massage just won't cut it. You need to have someone really get in there and work the muscle over. It won't be enjoyable, but it will help to alleviate the issue.

Draw arm. I talked with a guy from work who has done extensive training. I'm gonna try and balance my workouts better. Do more pull-ups and rows and flys. I rarely did those and I think that's what's contributed/caused to the imbalance

This should have been clarified right away but is it painful?

Muscle imbalance, tissue dysfunction, etc. aren't well supported by scientific evidence as legitimate or probable issues and often practitioners call it that to appease you and utilize placebo to eliminate pain. BUT if you have no pain, theres no indication for treatment. Just as @Coach Chris mentioned, this is most likely noise from gaseous exchange inside the capsule because you're well, moving your shoulder. The clinical word for it is Crepitus.

As a performance professional, I would take the advice you were given to focus on training more rows and pulling. Get your pull up, barbell rows, single arm rows, inverse rows, and any other basic pulling strength up. But this isn't treatment. There's nothing to treat. It's just really good advice for everyone.

OP
a_noob_hunter
This should have been clarified right away but is it painful?

Muscle imbalance, tissue dysfunction, etc. aren't well supported by scientific evidence as legitimate or probable issues and often practitioners call it that to appease you and utilize placebo to eliminate pain. BUT if you have no pain, theres no indication for treatment. Just as @Coach Chris mentioned, this is most likely noise from gaseous exchange inside the capsule because you're well, moving your shoulder. The clinical word for it is Crepitus.

As a performance professional, I would take the advice you were given to focus on training more rows and pulling. Get your pull up, barbell rows, single arm rows, inverse rows, and any other basic pulling strength up. But this isn't treatment. There's nothing to treat. It's just really good advice for everyone.
No it doesn't hurt. I've noticed that if I raise my shoulder when I draw it doesn't do it but when it's lowered and I don't use my back muscles as much then it has that pop to it.

No it doesn't hurt. I've noticed that if I raise my shoulder when I draw it doesn't do it but when it's lowered and I don't use my back muscles as much then it has that pop to it.

Then generally you're ok. Keep training your pulling strength in all directions and ranges of motion and rehearsing good draw technique. As a Physical Therapist friend of mine used to say, "The lotion is in the motion".

I’ve beat both of my shoulders up pretty good, repaired partial tear of right rotator, partial tear to left. I’m back to the gym with a trainer after the surgery on the right shoulder and they are both making more noise than ever before. So far no I’ll effects though...