Shoulder problems

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
Any one got any idea on how to fix some shoulder pain? Feels like it’s in my rotater cuff. I don’t feel it all the time only when drawing a bow or doing other work outs like overhead press with dumbells I can feel a slight pinch on the decline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Shoulder impingement. You need to get out ahead of this ASAP. Here’s the deal:

You need to ditch any bench pressing short term. Long term, you’ll likely need to relearn your technique. Do you bench press like a bodybuilder with flared elbows so you get more “chest pump”? Are your Dumbell presses also “wide?” That shit has got to go.

First of all, ditch any of the dumbell presses and learn the standing overhead (barbell) press with your forearms entirely vertical and inside of your shoulder frame. It’s probably going to feel very “narrow” and the position is going to be more out in front of you. At the top of the press, perform a full “shrug” extending maximum possible range of motion. This will strengthen your rotator cuffs, but this is a slow process. Over time, you can100% correct impingement with pressing and until you feel healed back up, this will be your only pressing movement. No dips, no dumbells, no KBs, no accessories. I’d drop the archery practice for a couple of weeks and then Come back with a 40# bow, super conscious of your technique. After strengthening your overhead press considerably, this should not be enough stress on your shoulder to matter.

Eventually, you will be able to bench press again, but its going to be with your forearms vertical and your elbows tucked tight to your body. All of the Bro, “chest pump” days are done. If you do resume dumbells, it will be the same technique: vertical forearms, 0 elbow flare and arms tucked tight to your body. The more perpendicular the elbow angle, the more damage you will do to rotator cuff.

Vandy321

WKR
Stability work, rotator cuff band work...Also work I some rehad/pre-hab type work.

Ditch the weights for a few months. Try a bodyweight program like gymnastic bodies or Jason ferruggia's bodyweight bodybuilding (search for the Google doc). The latter is great, it has about 20-30 minutes of pre-hab for shoulders, back, hips, etc then a workout.

I've torn a rotator 3 times in my life. Going back to strength training without strengthening the stabilizer muscles around that rotator first is a recipe to re-injure.

I had some major issues with both shoulders due to a number of old injuries.

Exercise machines and free weights definitely made things worse as I was still 25 in my mind unfortunately over 60 in body.

I started swimming a minimum of thirty minutes three times a week and my shoulder pain and poor range of motion improved exponentially. It’s been a game changer for me

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I had terrible shoulder pain from lifting. MRI showed nothing. Best guess by all was a pinched nerve. Months of throbbed pain. Happened twice. The first time the end of 2013 at age 57 and the second time last December. No more weights for me.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

If the pain doesn't go away it doesn't hurt to have it looked at. I'm stubborn and had pain in my shoulder and it hurt to lift anything above my shoulders and even worse bringing my arm down. Went six months of pain before I couldn't shoot my bow anymore and gave in. Finally did a virtual appt with doctor (covid allowed no personal vistits) and ofcourse she put me in physical therapy. Physical Therapy helped a little bit as they figured it was Calcitic tendonitis. After months of PT the pain got really bad one day and finally went and got an MRI. My calcium deposit in my shoulder was impressive and required surgery to remove. During the surgery last Feb they found my rotator cuff muscle had split from the bulge of the calcium deposit putting too much pressure on it and they found a chip in my shoulder that likely led to the calcium deposits so they filed it smooth. The injury to my shoulder likely happened years ago but took time for the bodies defense mechanism to build up the calcium. Still in recovery mode 4 months later but stretching, icing and mild strength training has really come a long ways. Swimming definitely feels good on the shoulder. Don't be like me and wait too long being the tough guy it cost me last archery season and I'm hoping I get a crack at this season.

LostArra

WKR
Any one got any idea on how to fix some shoulder pain? Feels like it’s in my rotater cuff. I don’t feel it all the time only when drawing a bow or doing other work outs like overhead press with dumbells I can feel a slight pinch on the decline

Bow arm or drawing arm?

Google: Crossover Symmetry
The exercises can be found online. I got my bands from Fit Cord (USA). I still do some of the exercises as they focus solely on the rotator cuff. With time I was back to barbell training without too much pain (arthritis never goes away) and back to shooting my bows (recurve and compound). Drawing your bow with your back and keeping your bicep out of the action is important.

I've made adjustments to my weight training lifts as Poser described. No wide grip anything.

The shoulder is a really awful joint that is easily abused .

OP
Gold54bs

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
It’s on my bow arm not my drawing arm thankfully, so I’m assuming I can still down some shooting with my bow and just be careful with form. It’s just a small little punching pain j feel when I was doing overhead stuff. But I defiantly think I’ll go in and have it looked at

I had pain in my bow arm/shoulder for 6 months or better.. nothing made it better... trust me i tried everything I could. Long story short i finally went to a orthopedic surgeon. After testing etc. I had tendinitis. 1st and only time but i took a steroid shot. Long ass needle went into the rotater cuff area.. fast foward 3 months 100% pain free... my recommendation. Get it looked at

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zr600

FNG
I had some bow arm issues, last year. I found out my peep was way to low so I was naturally crunching up to make it work and didn’t even realize it. Had bow properly setup for me, draw reduced weight and worked back into it my pain went away. I don’t know if this is your issue just thought it was worth a mention. Bow setup per person is very personal and important. My bow was setup by a very common shop, but I found out they don’t always take the time to do it right.

NolanKM

FNG
Two permanently injured shoulders here. The shoulder is a very complex joint with a long list of things that can go wrong. There can be any combination of problems with (at minimum) the rotator cuff, posterior capsule, labrum, biceps tendon, bursa, nerves. Everyone's case will best be addressed by a specific approach.

The advice in this thread is fine, and one could add to it consideration of core work, static hanging, sleeper stretches, and deep tissue massage.

But if it is within your means to seek professional physical therapy then you should do so.

Last edited:
OP
Gold54bs

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
I think I’ll seek out some help but I have been rehabbing it with resistance bands and it seems to have helped out a lot! I’ll give it a few more weeks of rehab before I try any thing taxing on the shoulder to test it

OP
Gold54bs

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
I would go to the doctor but currently no health insurance, job closed down out of no where but re opened so still waiting for insurance to come back here in a few weeks

TA34

FNG
I had shoulder surgery on Feb 23rd of this year. I had a bone spur that was rubbing on my rotator cuff that was causing pain and inflammation so it was ground off. I also had fraying and tears of my labrum that were cleaned up and removed, and a compacted AC joint along with arthritis in the ball and socket that was scraped out. The cartilage in my ball and socket is nearly gone and will eventually lead to a shoulder replacement.

I say all this to let you know that after surgery I invested in Crossover Symmetry and it's been a game changer. I was playing golf in less than 2 months, albeit not totally pain free, but very manageable (Dr. approved too). I'm also back to shooting my 73lb bow and even shot two days in the Total Archery Challenge over the weekend. It wasn't easy, but well worth it. I would recommend to anyone that has shoulder issues to look into this and give it a try.

Also, for anyone on here that might golf in the summer, my swing speed went from 107 well before surgery, and now after using crossover symmetry my swing speed is 114. That's just an added bonus to how much it's helped me.

OP
Gold54bs

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
I actually purchased cross over symmetry after starting this thread and been using it 2 weeks and my shoulder impingement is already no longer bothering me so definitely a worth while investment!

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
I chased shoulder pain for 2/4 years. PT, stretching, massage you name it.
I always tough chiropractors were quacks. But after 2 or 3 necks adjustments. Wow!

jbranski

FNG
Crossover symmetry covers all shoulder/ rotate cuff exercises great product. I would recommend adding in some timed eccentrics with a few of the exercises for added benefit.