Shoulder Replacement

Vandal 44

WKR
I have had both my shoulder operated on several different occasions. Rotator cuff and a lot of Meniscus removal on the right shoulder and Labral Tear and a lot of Meniscus removal on the left shoulder.

Went in for a physical Therapy appointment and the PT guy said I mite want to think about getting my shoulders replaced. I am only 47 years old and still very active, shoulder replacement is not on the list of things to have done.

I have a meeting with my surgeon later in July to get another MRI

My questions is to those that had their shoulder replaced are you still able to bow hunt.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Look into stem cell treatment first. Alot of people useing it with great results with no surgery required. I'veheard 3 months after ttreatment they were back to shooting 80ibs.

LostArra

WKR
>>My questions is to those that had their shoulder replaced are you still able to bow hunt.<<

My own research would indicate "no" especially at typical hunting draw weights and most surgeons will dodge a direct answer to the question.

I've wondered if the mantra of "fitness" is coming back to bite us in more arthritic joints at younger ages.
Sometimes active lifestyles have their own set of problems but I think the benefits far outweigh the risks.

I would definitely consider the alternative treatments like Mischief mentioned. I also sent you a pm with info about an alternative shoulder surgery developed at Univ of Washington.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to ask questions in a thread asking questions ... I have a labrum tear now, but have not been able to go in for surgery due to two kids under two in the house and the recovery associated. Which brings up my question...what was your recovery like? Is it zero movement for X weeks or what?

steve s

Lil-Rokslider
Not a quick recovery, but it can definitely be done if conservative treatment does not work. Find an ortho who specializes in complex shoulders and throw the kitchen sink at it before jumping into a total if possible. If you end up headed toward a replacement also find a good PT before surgery. Shoot me a pm or give me a call if you need help. Best, ss 90-471-4582

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I will be meeting with my surgeon in the next few weeks to discuss my options.

As far the labrum recovery it depends on how bad the damage is and serious you are about your physical therapy. I had a major amount of meniscus removed so I have a consistent dull pain in both should do to bone on bone.

I was back to shooting a 53# bow in 6 months. It was not easy and I could only shoot 5 arrows before I physically could not draw the bow.

I did ok shot one cow elk and one deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMBH

FNG
Sorry to ask questions in a thread asking questions ... I have a labrum tear now, but have not been able to go in for surgery due to two kids under two in the house and the recovery associated. Which brings up my question...what was your recovery like? Is it zero movement for X weeks or what?

Depends on the severity of tear, and all recovery is individual. Talk to a good doc. The year I had my shoulders repaired, I waited 8 months for the "right" time. That was a big mistake. Second mistake was rushing back on to the grappling mats.

I am told I will need replacements. My doc says he will not do it until I am much older (50's now).