Shoulder surgery

nidaho

FNG
Just had shoulder surgery they trimmed up the labrum. Shaved the bursa did a release of joint. Also had grade 4 cartilage degeneration in there. They cleaned it up in there but I didn’t get to talk to surgeon have follow up on Monday. Anyone else had this done and return to shooting their bow

I had surgery in 2014 for a full labrum tear. Lost about 25% permanent range of motion in my dominant (RT) shoulder even after physical therapy. I am sure there are guys on here who have had similar injuries as yours that may be able to add better advice and experience. However....

When I decided to get back into archery I went to the bow shop (Straight 6) and they set me up with a bow that had a smooth draw (PSE) and low poundage (50). That way I could work up over time to crank up the weight and swap out new limbs if need be, as the muscles developed strength for the new motion. I was concerned I would never be able to shoot a bow again but it has been a relief it has worked out as planned.

Just push the physical therapy as hard as possible and take it one step at a time.

SteveinMN

FNG
I had similar surgery damn near 30 years ago. Shoulder has never been the same but I shoot a bow without issue. In fact, the back muscles you use for shooting a bow are important to keep strong in order to keep the shoulder in good shape.

That said, don't try to rush your PT. Don't add activities like shooting a bow until your PT clears you to. I pushed my rehab and ignored the advice I was given, it set me back about a year. Don't be dumb like me.

OP
N

nidaho

FNG
Sounds more encouraging than reading internet diagnosis. Hopefully doc says same thing on Monday

I'm having surgery on my Labrum this month also. Overall it didn't sound as bad as I was expecting recovery wise. Good luck on your recovery.

Backyard

WKR
Yep! Both shoulders, 2 years apart. back to shooting 50# in 6 months or so each time. Back to 65# about 9-12 months later.
Listen to your PT, and DO THE PT RELIGIOUSLY.

fmyth

WKR
I had surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. They were unable to re attach the labrum. I hunted that fall with a crossbow but have now returned to hunting with my compound bow.

Yooper

WKR
Both shoulders repaired for a torn labrum. Right one included a torn biceps tendon and the left one was a significant tear requiring a full open to repair completely. As stated above go to PT, follow their advice to a T! When it starts to feel better is when you're most likely to fudge it up so don't be a hero. I won't say mine are as good as they were when I was younger and prior to messing them up, but I still shoot my compound regularly and pulling 65+lbs with ease. Go slow and listen to your body and things will be just fine.

OP
N

nidaho

FNG
Good to hear. Sounds like I might be hunting elk this fall with my bow again. Been two years since I’ve even shot my bow because of this damn shoulder injury.

Good to hear. Sounds like I might be hunting elk this fall with my bow again. Been two years since I’ve even shot my bow because of this damn shoulder injury.

How's the shoulder nidaho?

My shoulder surgery was 2/24 on my left arm (which is my bow arm- I'm left handed but shoot right handed due to eye dominance).

Been going to PT twice a week and doing daily stretching. I got a new bow at 60 pounds but can't draw it back without pain yet. I also bought another used adjustable weight bow and have it set at 40 pounds. I can manage that with mild discomfort.

They told me 6-9 months recovery, but I naively assumed I would be good to go by now.

2 months to go before I'm chasing elk in Colorado. The clock is ticking and I have a lot more work to do to get to 60 lbs.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
Just had shoulder surgery they trimmed up the labrum. Shaved the bursa did a release of joint. Also had grade 4 cartilage degeneration in there. They cleaned it up in there but I didn’t get to talk to surgeon have follow up on Monday. Anyone else had this done and return to shooting their bow
I've had a full tear in my labrum on my bow arm repaired twice. The second time was after a fall and pulled an anchor. Follow PT and other instructions.

My suggestion is to never stop doing light weights for your shoulders. Hit them in all directions. Even during covid I had weights I would use in front of the TV. Work on your rotator cuff and flexibility.

I still struggle a little shooting up hill a bit.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Just went in for an mri yesterday. The one where they shove the big ole needle down to the joint to inject die
Sounds like a have a SLAP tear. I think the labrums off the bone can’t quite decipher the rest of the report still waiting to see the dr again. For those of you that have had shoulder surgeries how long is the recovery and how painful was it.
Hopin I don’t ever pull the anchors or screw it up after the surgery if I end up having it seems like it happens often though
2fdac15caef388e2e5e465be24b88955.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Just went in for an mri yesterday. The one where they shove the big ole needle down to the joint to inject die
Sounds like a have a SLAP tear. I think the labrums off the bone can’t quite decipher the rest of the report still waiting to see the dr again. For those of you that have had shoulder surgeries how long is the recovery and how painful was it.
Hopin I don’t ever pull the anchors or screw it up after the surgery if I end up having it seems like it happens often though
2fdac15caef388e2e5e465be24b88955.jpg

So mine was like that.

4 weeks in a sling, mild stretching daily, pain was tolerable, not bad at all.

PT started at 6 weeks.

Did it for 5 months. 90 to 95% at almost 6 months post op.

For those of you that have had shoulder surgeries how long is the recovery and how painful was it.

I was fortunate to not need any bone anchors or relocation of the biceps tendon.

Still, you’re looking at a 6-9 month recovery.

I slept in a recliner for about 6 weeks post-op and have talked to several others that did the same. It can be painful when lying flat or on your side.

DEGdog

FNG
I had a similar tear requiring a bone anchor. I needed a second surgery to clean out scar tissue so my recovery was a bit longer. I would say it was a full year before I had 100% strength and range of motion. My suggestion is to ice like crazy for weeks after surgery, do all the little exercises they give you (walking hand up wall, etc.), be all-in on PT, and maybe most importantly do NOT be a knucklehead and rush doing stuff you shouldn’t (shooting bow, swinging hammer, throwing football). Be patient, it will payoff. My shoulder now is good as new, zero issues. I blew it up shooting my bow, a good lesson on bow sizing and proper form.

DEGdog

FNG
I had a similar tear requiring a bone anchor. I needed a second surgery to clean out scar tissue so my recovery was a bit longer. I would say it was a full year before I had 100% strength and range of motion. My suggestion is to ice like crazy for weeks after surgery, do all the little exercises they give you (walking hand up wall, etc.), be all-in on PT, and maybe most importantly do NOT be a knucklehead and rush doing stuff you shouldn’t (shooting bow, swinging hammer, throwing football). Be patient, it will payoff. My shoulder now is good as new, zero issues. I blew it up shooting my bow, a good lesson on bow sizing and proper form.
Oh, and re pain…the pain during PT was intense. Probably due to me being a scar tissue building machine. Those PT sadists were hardcore about breaking scar tissue and getting range of motion. Otherwise there was some pain especially if you bumped it or trying to turn in your sleep but pretty manageable.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Had one 5 yrs ago. Slap tear of labrum. Didn't reattach, did a bicep tendenosis (attached with screw) and cleaned it up. Shoulder is pretty good but pain where the screw is. Dr. that did mine said at my age then (47) he didn't recommend reattach labrum (about 65% torn). If I had to do it again I think I'd go for a reattachment. Recovery is longer but I'm tired of my arm aching from the screw. I've talked to a number of shoulder surgeons since and lots of different opinions on how to deal with slap tears. One told me he has had to remove a number of screws due to pain. Recovery suck but was pretty good to go at six months and as good as I am today at 1 yr.

BullPage

FNG
In 2010 I was paralyzed in my right shoulder and arm with a brachialplexus injury. I only have partial mobility and use. I learned how to continue to shoot a bow with a mouth tab. At one point I was competing to qualify for the USA Paralympic archery team. I had to give that dream up to take care of a parent with Alzheimers and Dementia for several years. Now I'm back to shooting again still with a mouth tab. So yes you can still shoot your bow, you just have to adapt and overcome.

Marble

WKR
As far as recovery and pain. It's all very relative. Some have more pain than others, I don't know why. Mine was very tolerable.

For recovery, my PT told me the better shape you are in at surgery the better recovery will be. I've always exercised rigorously and lifted weights. My lower half is very flexible but my shoulders are not. Probably because of weight lifting.

Post surgery I had some very intense pain on the back of my shoulder with any movement. We couldn't get passed it. I had a different PT one day and he noticed the pain so he examined it. He pushed in the spot I indicated I had pain and it was right at the incision on the back of my shoulder. He told me, this will hurt a litte bit.... and he began massaging the spot, harder and harder and omg harder. Then he hit out this special ice massager and finished it off. Basically, what was happening was the scar tissue was all bound up. He released it and all was well.

Moral of the story, massage is a great part of PT and not always pleasurable. Having different people do PT will notice different things and can find solutions others can't.