Shoulder surgery

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
Last Friday I went under the knife. What was I had was called a A SLAP lesion (superior labrum, anterior [front] to posterior [back]) is a tear of the rim above the middle of the socket that may also involve the biceps tendon.

They put a screw and some guide wires in. I had my post opt Appointment on Monday. That is where I got the bad news. The PT said I have to keep it in the sling for 4 weeks. After that I will start therapy. He said it could take up to 9 Months to get back to 100%.

To top it all off drew my elk and deer archery tags this year. So I really hope it doesn't take that long.

Anyone else have anything line this done? Any tips on staying in so kind of shape till archery season? I really don't think I will be hunting bet I will still be going with friends. Thanks Nic

Shrek

WKR
I don't have any experience with the shoulder surgery but I have had two on my back. I can tell you that a positive "can do" attitude makes a difference. If you concentrate on the positive and expect to recover quickly your mind can make it happen. Hard work , positive attitude , and healthy living will get you there. Wish you good luck and a speedy recovery.

Jager

WKR
The only advice I can give, is STAY active, I had knee surgery a few weeks back, and even staying as active as I could, I ended up with blood clots in my lungs, I am 41, am/was very fit, so it can happen to you at any age/condition. You do not need this, the shoulder surgery will take care of itself, the clots post surgery are an entirely different proposition. We are given the risks before surgery, but probably don't take a whole lot of notice, let me tell you, when/if it does, you take notice, it scared the life out of me.

Take care and do plenty of walking.

Curtis C

WKR
Dang Jager, Hope you get to feeling better soon. Very familiar with blood clots in lungs as my son had that happen at age 20 from sitting at a desk studying and playing XBOX. It kicked his butt for a while.

Vector I have never had shoulder issues but I would suggest keeping the shoulder active without overdoing it(keep it stretched and slowly work on strength). I would go head and chat with a therapist, they may be able to offer some light exercise that can be done in the sling.

Rocky

WKR
Vector I also need to have surgery on my labrum but im waiting because of the long recover time. The surgeon told me that it be between 3-4 months before I could pull my bow back so I'm waiting until around Christmas. Hope you have a rapid recovery.

OP
Vector32

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
I have started some light exercises. I will know more in 3 weeks when I go back to the dr. I really want to start moving and stretching it. The Pt said don't do it. It's hard for me to follow but I don't want this to take any longer that what it needs too. I wanted to wait on mine till after archery season also but it got to the point where I couldn't shoot my bow. I am doing my best to stay positive. I think like what you guys are sayin that will help a lot.

Vitals

WKR
I have had surgery on both shoulders from multiple dislocations on each. I have tendonitis in my upper right bicep and some major issues from a partially torn rotator cuff. Football took its toll. After many hours spent in PT, I learned that when they tell you "everyone is different with recovery times", it couldn't be more true, and then some. I happened to be a person who recovered at a very rapid rate (strength, flexibility, stability), but recovering fast almost seems like a curse to me. It is easy to get ahead of yourself and feel like your ready to do certain activities when you feel better so soon, until you quickly get put in your place by set backs.

Overall, my advice would be to forget hunting this season or accompanying friends on any overly strenuous hunts. I know that may sound grim, but I say it because I have dislocated even after one of my surgeries and have continued experiencing problems in varying degrees. I mostly attribute this to my tissue make-up, which I can do nothing about. But a major factor I feel was that each surgery was followed by intense PT that was slightly rushed in attempts to either get back on the field in time for playoffs, or to keep a scholarship offer which I ultimately lost due to my inability to get back on the field at 100%. If you were to take a good solid year off while strengthening your shoulder, your legs, your core.......everything....I have no doubts you would be a much happier, stronger, and confident hunter in the coming years.

Good luck on your recovery brother.

OP
Vector32

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
Vitals-- As grim as it sounds you are right. I don't want to rush this and have to do it again

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
I fell from a tree during a deer hunt and had sever slap tear, tried shots rehab. Had surgery jan 10th, my doctor told me 5 to 6 months before I could shot my bow,I was not happy. I had 6 anchors put in my draw shoulder.

Long story short, I was in a sling for 6 weeks, and released 3 months on the nose. I walked allot thats about all you can do. go to a sports physical therapy place, tell them ur a hunter. My guy tailored a work out for me. I went 3 days a week, for several weeks. It will suck for the 1st two weeks. Our recovery depends on how you do your physical therapy. I was shooting my 40 pound recurve in 2.5 months.

I feel for you it sucks, mine get stiff every once in a while. It's been almost 6 months but pain free.

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
I was in pretty good shape prior to the surgery, if you are that will help, how old are you, the younger the faster u will heal, I'm 38.

Once agian don't rush the pt, I was in a sling 6 weeks, zero pt. when they stretch ur arm the 1st few times is the most horrific pain I have ever had, you will want to kill them. But it will get easier.

landont20

FNG
Vector, I couldn't agree with Vitals more. I personally have had 5 shoulder surgeries, mostly due to dislocations. I have had a SLAP repair just like you have. Vitals makes a good point about taking your time with this. Soft tissue (tendon, cartilage, ligaments, muscle) takes 4-6 weeks to heal in general, you can't rush that. That's what the sling time is for. Three of my five surgeries was due to me trying to come back too quickly. Now, I sell anchors and surgical equipment to orthopedic docs and sit in on surgeries. I see this repair done weekly, and the overall theme is, "take your time." I promise you that and second repair surgery won't heal or hold as well as this one will. I sorry you had to have this done...perfect timing huh? Recovery sucks and therapy can be a major pain, but just go into it knowing it will take a while, and have the mindset that you will be patient with it. I'm glad the procedure went well, and I will be praying for a good recovery, but also for you mentally. This stuff can take a toll on your confidence and patience!

P.S. I've spent over 2 years in PT with various therapist. I've got a TON of nontraditional PT exercises. As you progress and want some more things to do, hit me up. I'd be happy to share some.

God Bless

OP
Vector32

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
Once again thank you the comments guys. I am 32 and am pretty active. My job is pretty demanding on the body also. But I think as long as I take it slow and don't over do anything I should be good.

Shrek

WKR
Vector32 , no joke on your job being demanding. I did 12 years with big brown and two back surgeries. My last route was an average of 110 delivery stops , 32 pickups , 210 miles and 800 pieces. My bet is you will recover quickly with the condition you are in.

I just had an injection in my right shoulder this morning. MRI to follow. I had a A/C separation in my early teens that is starting to haunt me. Pulling a bow doesn't hurt its only pressing exercises ( bench/shoulder press) That cause me issues.

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
I just tweaked mine at work again, hopefully that all it was, had surgey Jan 10, got realesed Aprl 10, cant go thru this again, to much going on. Just signed up for 50 mile trail race and Iowa bow tag should be drawn.