Shoulders and Back

Mckinnon

WKR
Just thought I would share a good shoulder and back work out.

-On a pull up bar: Start down and pull up and at the top hold yourself all the way at the top (back of forearms touching biceps) for a slow 5 second count.
-After these 5 seconds do another pull up and then come down til your elbows are at a 90 degree angle and hold yourself for another slow 5 second count.
-After these 5 seconds do another pull up and then come down til your elbows are at approximately 120 degrees.
-Come down and finish with one full pull up.
-This is one frenchie.

These are called frenchies and are fantastic especially for archery hunters for drawing and holding the draw. All you need is a pull up bar. Make sure your palms face away. If you cant do 1 full frenchie with 5 seconds holds try 3. This is good because it combine full range of motion strength with isometric contraction. Let me know what you think if you try them or if anyone has questions or wants pictures...

BigSurArcher

Banned
It's even better if you lift your legs up and hold them together parallel with the floor on each bent-arm hold. Works the core really well at the same time.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now I can put a name to these torture holds..........frenchies sounds like something nice and sweet......these aint, but they yield a nice return on investment!

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Now I can put a name to these torture holds..........frenchies sounds like something nice and sweet......these aint, but they yield a nice return on investment!
Ya Ross, the name originates from the french climbers who started doing them when sport climbing started to get pretty popular there. They are rough to do for sure, but like you said, can't argue with the results.

TXCO

WKR
Thats pretty impressive. I cant even think of holding my legs out due to flexibility issues

Thats pretty impressive. I cant even think of holding my legs out due to flexibility issues

Best I can do is hold my knees up at a 90* angle... though my lower body accounts for significantly more of my height that most. I'm very high waisted. 6' tall with a 17" torso...

Mike

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
To keep my rafting form in shape during season, living in Alaska, I focus my training on winter months (8 months of freeze, 4 months thaw).

From November to March I skate ski 3-4 times a week, working every muscle i can feel on a variety of hills and straights. Focus on each muscle group instead of ski form...very important. Start doing distances that are comfortable (6-8 miles) then work up to 15-20 miles by mid winter. I ski every other day once I'm comfortable with 10 miles regularly...rest between ski days is important for muscle recovery.

I poll with my arms and shoulders, working every upper body muscle i can reach with pulls, polling, and digging in up long hills for many miles. Each ski is a chance to focus on every separate muscle group used to keep me propelled. Going up hill I dig in with my arms and shoulders, working my paddling muscles and pecs. On straights I skate ski and stretch my gluts, abs, quads, and hamstrings.

From March/april to August I run 6-12 miles every other day.

Push ups and situps daily 365 days a year. As many as you can do until your muscles shake and burn.

Eat a balanced nutritional diet 365 days a year. I'm over 40 y/o now, so less protein and more veggies and whole wheat. drink more red wine than i did in my 30s.

Keep a tight body weight index, don't allow myself to go over 2 lbs from my ideal weight on any given week.

Maintain a 6-9 % body fat index, and stretch...also wear sunscreen

Trust me on the sunscreen!

larry
http://wwwpristineventures.com