Show me how you carry your camera

How do you carry your camera in the woods with your pack and bino harness? I want it accessible so I actually take pictures, but I also want it somewhat protected at least to start, though I'm sure that'll fade once the price tag is far enough in the rear view mirror.

I see Mystery Ranch has a DSLR harness, but I need to carry binos too. So, maybe a shoulder carry option like Peak Designs? Then do you protect it with anything since it'll be subject to brush?

I did search but didn't come up with much. Send along links if I missed something. Thanks in advance for all the ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
I use the peak design capture clip on my pack(left shoulder) and also have the peak design shell with me incase of more inclement weather

FlatlanderMN

FNG
Classified Approved
I assume you have a DSLR or mirrorless camera?

I use the Peak Design clipped to my K3 harness shoulder strap via the Three Legged Thing L bracket. I also have the display protector. I hang the camera with the lens pointing down. Depending on where I’m at I may or may not have the lens cover on.
I also have the weapon carrier for my pack, so my hands are usually free to cover the camera if I need to blaze through some thick cover. Hasn’t been an issue so far. This is assuming it’s not raining. If it is my camera goes into my dry bag in my pack.

Most cameras are more resilient than you think. Not to say you want to abuse them. I’m just saying that a lot of cameras and lenses are sealed and as long as you don’t scratch the lens or the sensor, you’ll be fine. You’ll even see some professional photographers brag about the scratches on their camera bodies as just part “actually” using the camera.

Also, I would use the lens bayonet and/or a UV lens cover to protect the front of the lens. Good UV covers are not cheap, but they are probably cheaper then a new lens.

OP
westonadkins
I assume you have a DSLR or mirrorless camera?

I use the Peak Design clipped to my K3 harness shoulder strap via the Three Legged Thing L bracket. I also have the display protector. I hang the camera with the lens pointing down. Depending on where I’m at I may or may not have the lens cover on.
I also have the weapon carrier for my pack, so my hands are usually free to cover the camera if I need to blaze through some thick cover. Hasn’t been an issue so far. This is assuming it’s not raining. If it is my camera goes into my dry bag in my pack.

Most cameras are more resilient than you think. Not to say you want to abuse them. I’m just saying that a lot of cameras and lenses are sealed and as long as you don’t scratch the lens or the sensor, you’ll be fine. You’ll even see some professional photographers brag about the scratches on their camera bodies as just part “actually” using the camera.

Also, I would use the lens bayonet and/or a UV lens cover to protect the front of the lens. Good UV covers are not cheap, but they are probably cheaper then a new lens.

Yeah, picked up the A7iii from cameraland, and he set me up with a lens protector. I agree with you on the dings and dents being a point of pride, just give me a few months

That is super good feedback. Do you like the Shell? Seeing mixed reviews on it.

Colterw

FNG
I use the peak design capture clip on my pack(left shoulder) and also have the peak design shell with me incase of more inclement weather
I run the same setup in the same location. I'm a big fan of the peak design clip. Quick to take the camera out and put it away and very secure.

Attachments

• 20201212_112237.jpg
    20201212_112237.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 101

FlatlanderMN

FNG
Classified Approved
Yeah, picked up the A7iii from cameraland, and he set me up with a lens protector. I agree with you on the dings and dents being a point of pride, just give me a few months

That is super good feedback. Do you like the Shell? Seeing mixed reviews on it.

I’m curious about the shell to. I didn’t know it was a thing until now. I have the eos rp and I wonder if I would need the small or medium with the L bracket attached.

The clip is awesome! I use mine in the field and around town. It keeps the camera really secure.

OP
westonadkins
I’m curious about the shell to. I didn’t know it was a thing until now. I have the eos rp and I wonder if I would need the small or medium with the L bracket attached.

The clip is awesome! I use mine in the field and around town. It keeps the camera really secure.

Sorry I see you said *lens* cover. I thought you just said cover and meant the shell thing. I think I'm going to give it a try too. Thanks for the help!

Wapiti1

WKR
Cotton Carrier strapshot is what I use on occasion. Or I'll strap a bucket style bag to my waist belt.

I've never had issues with the camera being exposed on the shoulder strap. Pretty easy to keep it protected while hiking. I like the bag on the waist belt better when I also have binocs in a harness. But the bag limits the lens on the camera to smaller sized ones.

Jeremy

OP
westonadkins
Cotton Carrier strapshot is what I use on occasion. Or I'll strap a bucket style bag to my waist belt.

I've never had issues with the camera being exposed on the shoulder strap. Pretty easy to keep it protected while hiking. I like the bag on the waist belt better when I also have binocs in a harness. But the bag limits the lens on the camera to smaller sized ones.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. That's the other option I was looking at. I think I'm going to try it on the shoulder and go from there!

While I haven’t hunted with the camera mounted, I’ve used it while scouting and hiking. B-Grip Uno and Panasonic GX85 with 45-150mm lens mounted. Works well and the clamp is very secure with the extra safety lock (which I use in the thick stuff) and a wrist strap. Hand through the strap then release from the pack to prevent an accidental drop. Not too expensive either.

A7C0CB36-AE2C-410E-AEC3-4811AEB2F9EA.jpeg
B77DCFE3-8F8D-4CC8-94D6-0E31AF6A77C4.jpeg

OP
westonadkins
While I haven’t hunted with the camera mounted, I’ve used it while scouting and hiking. B-Grip Uno and Panasonic GX85 with 45-150mm lens mounted. Works well and the clamp is very secure with the extra safety lock (which I use in the thick stuff) and a wrist strap. Hand through the strap then release from the pack to prevent an accidental drop. Not too expensive either.

View attachment 242092
View attachment 242093

Looks slick. I'll look into that option. Shoulder mount seems to be the way to go.

idcuda

WKR
Peak design on the shoulder strap, as well. Usually just run it without a lens cover and no issues. I throw it in the pack when weather rolls in.

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry I see you said *lens* cover. I thought you just said cover and meant the shell thing. I think I'm going to give it a try too. Thanks for the help!

I run a a6500 with a 24-70 right now and I use the small shell cover from peak design. it fits perfect, but takes a bit to get used to. Its a little cumbersome to use if you are constantly wanting to roll it up too quickly take shots, better for protecting it while moving. Its also a pain if you were trying to use your manual focus. But in all I do like it.

Wapiti1

WKR
For those wet days, those stupid plastic food container covers with elastic in them are the best things that I have used. They look like a shower cap, which I have also used. They come in a variety of sizes so you can find one to fit up to a DSLR with 70-200 f2.8.

They go on easy, come off quick and don't crinkle too badly.

Rubber bands and dry bags with holes cut in them also work well.

Jeremy

OP
westonadkins
For those wet days, those stupid plastic food container covers with elastic in them are the best things that I have used. They look like a shower cap, which I have also used. They come in a variety of sizes so you can find one to fit up to a DSLR with 70-200 f2.8.

They go on easy, come off quick and don't crinkle too badly.

Rubber bands and dry bags with holes cut in them also work well.

Jeremy

That’s a good, budget friendly idea. Can you get those covers in subalpine?

Colterw

FNG
Do you notice much of the weight or flopping around with this one?
I do notice a bit of weight with it just being on the one shoulder strap but it's not uncomfortable. It bobs around a bit when hiking but it's tolerable. My camera weight just over two pounds. With the base plate I can also attach it to the same spotting scope that I use for my tripod.

I've worn it while shooting my bow and it keeps the camera close enough to my support armpit to stay well clear.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For a DSLR, get a BlackRapid Cross Shot strap and a Fusion Photo Gear arca swiss plat. You can leave the camera on the sling and still put it on a tripod. The strap holds the camera quite a bit more stable than one would expect and it does not swing around. Shooting with it is as easy as grabbing the camera and bringing it up. It also works well with heavy lenses, or even leaving the tripod attached.