Show me your back country menu's for a 7-9 day hunt

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
Breakfast:
Three quaker oat fruit oatmeal packets
One energy bad [cliff bar usually]

mid breakfast or 10 a.m meal
Energy bar ---marathon bar or other bar but prefere marathon bar...will be making my own this year though..

Lunch---
2 oz. jerky and a fdriut snack packet, a dorritos cheese sandwhichs packet, a small bag of alomonds or cashews [ I mix my rationed up nuts daily] and a snickers funsize bar

Mid lunch or early dinner--
2 snickers fun size bars or butterfinger

Dinner-- Mountain house 2 serving very mixed bad on them !
I drink just water on my backcountry hunts , I do still take my multi vitamin.
Istart out my rationed morning and day food alittle on the smaller side and increasing the snacks as the hunt goes on , I label day 1 through whatever my leaving day is...And always have a coke at the truck...

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
When you all take a mountain house are you taking the 5oz packages that serve two? It seems like one of those would last me for 2 dinners.

I usually bring mostly the pro pack size with a couple of 2 servings mixed in for the end of a big days of hikes.

jmez

WKR
Breakfast: two packs instant oatmeal with scoop of protein powder, vacuum packed prior to trip, starbuck's via

Snacks two for am and two for pm: peanut butter crackers packet, granola bar, clif bar, trail mix packet

Lunch: PB honey and bacon tortilla or tuna and cheese tortilla, vacuum packed prior to trip, an apple, love fruit and it my guilty pleasure that i pack in

Supper: 2 serving Mountain house

crumy

WKR
I have been thinking about the tuna packs because a great source of protein. But I have a concern... probably over thinking it, but the smell and bears. That is the only thing keeping me from being all over the Tuna. I actually love Tuna and think it would be a great way to eat and keep the food weight down.

Am I just over thinking this?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the tuna packs will create any more issues than any other food would. Keep a clean camp and bears shouldn't be a problem.

Lawnboi

WKR
I usually scramble a few days before and throw meals together. MH this year. Iv got a dehydrator I just need to start using it more.

But I will add this. I started using hammer nutrition stuff, specifically their perpetuem drink mix to get fast, light and easy calories throughout the day. Hammer makes a bunch of good stuff as well that tastes good and is something good to put into your body. I got the idea of bringing more drinkable alternatives because I just got invisilign braces, and that means I have to sit down and take the dang things out every time I want to eat. So I went with a bunch of hammer drinkable stuff. Gels, perpetuem, and recoverite are my 3 favorite. Keeps me going throughout the day. That along with a few big meals thrown in there.

I use this stuff for mountain biking as well, works better than you think it would. I was surprised.

Just a suggestion, easy way to get light and fast calories that's for sure. It is tough (for me atleast) to take in enough calories when hunting without feeling bloated, stuffed, and sleepy all day long. The hammer stuff has helped with that.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have all of the calories written down yet.

BREAKFAST
2 packets instant oatmeal
Or
1 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop protein powder, dash of cinnamon, and raisins

LUNCH
MRE
Or
Bacon PB honey tortilla
Or
3 oz pouch pre cooked chicken on tortilla w/ BBQ sauce and pepperjack cheese stick

SUPPER
Mountain House
Or
Package of ramen, pouch pre cooked chicken, 2 sweet and sour sauce packs

SNACKS
Trail mix (peanuts, almonds, walnuts, M&Ms)
Candy bar
Cliff bar
Cliff SHOT blocks and gel
Jerky
Fruit leather
Bagel and PB

DESSERT
Oreo pudding
MH or BP dessert

DRINKS
Emergen-C mix
Crystal light mix
Starbucks via
Hot chocolate

Snyd

WKR
I try to get 3000-3500 calories in per day on a sheep hunt. Even then I'll still lose weight. Probably 10lbs on a 7-10 day hunt and I'm usually 165-170lbs lean to start with. Here's my general approach. Depending on exact days and variations, I'm 15-20 lbs for a 7-10 days. Probably closer to 2lbs per day depending on how much Gatorade I decide to pack. I usually weight my "feed bag" and end up throwing in some extra since it's a constantly diminishing weight and a guy needs to Feed the Machine!

Butter and Olive oil are 2 excellent sources for FAT calories which we typically don't get enough of in lightweight food. A pound of butter and a 12oz bottle of Olive Oil help. I add 1/3 to half a cube of butter in my daily ration of granola. I add 3-4 tbs of olive oil to a mtn house or just take a swig of it.

Breakfast- 1300 cal approx
1-1.5 cups hearty Granola with 1/3-1/2 cube butter, raisins, prunes, powdered milk, brn sugar mixed up in daily ration. Add hot water.
instant oatmeal just doesn't do it for me.

During Day- 1-1300 cal approx

jerky- 200
2- power/energy bars -600
cookies- 500
see variations/options.

Dinners- 1000 cal approx
Mountain house with 4 tbs olive oil

Gatorade
Adds some sugar calories

Optional/Extra/Variations

Bagel whole wheat-200
peanut butter/honey 2tbs/1tbs= 250--- 500
4- granola bars-500
Salami and cheese
Ramen noodles (but require extra fuel)- 325

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
BreakFast:
starbucks via w/honey
2 quaker instant oats packages with 1 scoop whey protein isolate
clif bar

Lunch throught day:
M&M peanut butter
mixed fruit and nut trail mix
clif bar
chocolate zinger wafers
emergen-C packet (various flavors)
Jerky
shot blocks
landjager sausage

Dinner:
Mountain House meal
2 small snickers bars
tea
beta alanine,whey protein isolate

Its my first go around at an extended trip, I have only backpack hunted 1-2 days ata time before, always packed dry food without a stove.