Show me your DIY painted rifles

TheGDog

WKR
Next time make the stripes sprayed thru netting more darkened in. The idea is breaking up that long contiguous solid unbroken form that's perceived by the viewer. As straight lines aren't typically something you see in nature.

grfox92

WKR
Bringing this one back up top.

Has anyone ever painted their action and barrel DIY?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

IMG_1938_(2).JPG

IMG_7361.JPG

IMG_6896.JPG
IMG_0579_zpskison4jp.jpg

IMG_6638_zpshqlxet19.jpg
IMG_5890_zpsedn7vx3j.jpg
IMG_5711_zpsyszojdcq.jpg
IMG_0555_zpsadd52d60.jpg
HPIM3208.jpg

TheGDog

WKR
Bringing this one back up top.

Has anyone ever painted their action and barrel DIY?

Yes...on my .308 Win I did. It's a Savage Trophy Hunter XP 11/111. (I replaced the Nikon w/ a Burris Veracity 3-15x50.)

I had intended to keep the same colors used on the stock into the action and down the barrel. However I started running out of the FDE Sand as the base color, 'cause wasn't a totally brand new can when I started... so I quickly had to decide what to use instead on the barrel as the lighter base color to use. I also had a time component so this would all dry before a certain time so I could do the matte clear coat and also hav ethem all dry before the weekend outing.

So grab for the OD green, figured that way I could then mix it one of the lighter color(s) like the Ash Grey, to tone-down it's difference from the FDE Sand base color. So it wouldn't be such a stark contrast from the rest of the stock, over to the barrel. Almost kinda looks like a branch growing out of a tree I think.
Savage308WinCamoedUpWithVeracityScope.jpg

grfox92

WKR
Yes...on my .308 Win I did. It's a Savage Trophy Hunter XP 11/111. (I replaced the Nikon w/ a Burris Veracity 3-15x50.)

I had intended to keep the same colors used on the stock into the action and down the barrel. However I started running out of the FDE Sand as the base color, 'cause wasn't a totally brand new can when I started... so I quickly had to decide what to use instead on the barrel as the lighter base color to use. I also had a time component so this would all dry before a certain time so I could do the matte clear coat and also hav ethem all dry before the weekend outing.

So grab for the OD green, figured that way I could then mix it one of the lighter color(s) like the Ash Grey, to tone-down it's difference from the FDE Sand base color. So it wouldn't be such a stark contrast from the rest of the stock, over to the barrel. Almost kinda looks like a branch growing out of a tree I think.
View attachment 472340
What brand of paint? How's it holding up on the barrel?

TheGDog

WKR
What brand of paint? How's it holding up on the barrel?

KRYLON bought from local Ace Hardware store.

Durability is on par for what it is. You do like at least 2 coats of the Matte Clear coat finish after you're finally done with the coloring.

To be fair I only take my .308 out during deer season more or less. But both the .308 and .223 look fine. The .223 has a very minor hint of chipping to the paint in some places where I've oopsied in the field and it's scratched against something.