Show me your moose mounts!!

Great thread!

Not to derail, but any AK hunters have a recommendation for taxidermy guy in Fairbanks for moose shoulder mount?

I figure even an average job up there probably better than best job here in NW Florida.

Open to concept of shipping cape and antlers out and having done elsewhere.

Also spoke with one really nice taxi guy in Fairbanks and he said $3,500 for mount and $500 for removable antlers. Said budget $2,000 for crate and shipment to NW Fl. $5,000 for a mount is getting right pricey!

This all just planning. Obviously we need to have success first, but want to budget for worst.... ( And also the best, hahaha) case scenario.

Hessticles

Lil-Rokslider
Shit I have a guy in Nebraska doing mine for 1200 if I get one!
Great thread!

Not to derail, but any AK hunters have a recommendation for taxidermy guy in Fairbanks for moose shoulder mount?

I figure even an average job up there probably better than best job here in NW Florida.

Also spoke with one really nice taxi guy in Fairbanks and he said $3,500 for mount and $500 for removable antlers. Said budget $2,000 for crate and shipment to NW Fl. $5,000 for a mount is getting right pricey!

This all just planning. Obviously we need to have success first, but want to budget for worst.... ( And also the best, hahaha) case scenario.

Shit I have a guy in Nebraska doing mine for 1200 if I get one!

10-4. I found simplicity of dropping off in Fairbanks appealing, but I guess that simplicity comes at a cost. How you getting cape and antlers to NB?

For me, traveling from about as far as you can in the US presents a few challenges. That's a long questionable trip for cape. Could ship it and antlers to lower 48 and then have mounted and crated to me once complete, I guess. Or could try and travel with antlers (makes me nervous), have cape tanned in AK and then shipped to me.

Again, not trying to highjack. Thread related, though. Just curious how other folks have done it. Would love to hear success and unsuccessful stories / methods.

OP
Jhett_11

Jhett_11

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread!

I’d spend the time and take it to Knight’s taxidermy in anchorage they did my caribou and it’s amazing

OP
Jhett_11

Jhett_11

Lil-Rokslider
10-4. I found simplicity of dropping off in Fairbanks appealing, but I guess that simplicity comes at a cost. How you getting cape and antlers to NB?

For me, traveling from about as far as you can in the US presents a few challenges. That's a long questionable trip for cape. Could ship it and antlers to lower 48 and then have mounted and crated to me once complete, I guess. Or could try and travel with antlers (makes me nervous), have cape tanned in AK and then shipped to me.

Again, not trying to highjack. Thread related, though. Just curious how other folks have done it. Would love to hear success and unsuccessful stories / methods.
So with my moose I just had the cape tanned in Alaska and sent to me in New Mexico and I just traveled with the rack, my caribou I had the entire thing done in Alaska and shipped home..... very expensive!!!

stonewall

WKR
Great thread!

as a guy with some taxidermy experience, i would recommend looking for the guys in your area who are winning best of categories or best of shows with gameheads (deer, elk, african game, etc) - see that they have the experience and capability for a large animal. then go with that. they can help you get the cape and antlers home. a good taxidermist can use reference (even if they've never done a moose) and give you a good quality product. finding the skill sometimes is better than finding someone who has a lot of specific animal experience (having said all that, idk who is in fairbanks - that may well be the best option - but a good taxi close to home is probably cheaper and as good or better quality with the right person doing it)

rope

FNG
Thank you sir, he was 55 1/2” the brow tone that looks like a tusk is 29 3/8” and the side with 3 tines that look like a elks back scratchers is 29 1/2”.