Show me your sheep rig

ytlogger

FNG
Been using the same rifle for big game for over 30 years, Winchester Model 70 pf in 270 topped with a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10x40, panted synthetic stock, running Federal Vital Shok 150 gr Nosler Partitions. It's been a great rifle for me and has taken a lot of game over the years, hope to put a dall ram on the ground this fall along with a big bull moose.
Love it!

When the weather is likely to be dry, I go with my .270 win. in a tang-safety model 77 that I bought in 1977, at the old Woolworth's store in Whitehorse. I like to be kind to the wood. It's had a couple of different scopes over it but, a FX 6 X 42 for about the last 20 years. I have a few newer stainless/synthetics but this is my sentimental favourite that still gets it done. Getting around to a load for 129gr, LRX. Sorry, not good with pics.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Looks like a Kimber MT with Talley LW's and a nice Leupold. 2.5-8x36ish? What cal?

That’s exactly what it is. Talley lightweight low rings, a vx3i 2.5-8x36 with the b&c reticle. I havnt done anything to it other than put that titanium mountain ascent bolt handle on it. Interestingly, the bolt handle on my 300wm mountain ascent is steel..

338 RCM, 16” barrel, 225gr CUtting Edge ER Raptors at 2630fps, Tuebor Raider Ti action, Element 3.0 chassis with ti grip, NF NXS 2.5-10. It’s right around 8lbs all up, but, I can throw a Maven RS.2 on, drop the suppressor, drop the accessories and shave off 1.5lbs or so. I also have a McMillen hunter edge I’ve thrown the rifle in, but the weight savings is negligible when compared to the stripped chassis.

Attachments

• 56A12417-F7A1-477D-B2B6-9EF6E296CA95.jpeg
    56A12417-F7A1-477D-B2B6-9EF6E296CA95.jpeg
    854 KB · Views: 100

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
338 RCM, 16” barrel, 225gr CUtting Edge ER Raptors at 2630fps, Tuebor Raider Ti action, Element 3.0 chassis with ti grip, NF NXS 2.5-10. It’s right around 8lbs all up, but, I can throw a Maven RS.2 on, drop the suppressor, drop the accessories and shave off 1.5lbs or so. I also have a McMillen hunter edge I’ve thrown the rifle in, but the weight savings is negligible when compared to the stripped chassis.

That’s pretty rad.

Snyd

WKR
That’s exactly what it is. Talley lightweight low rings, a vx3i 2.5-8x36 with the b&c reticle. I havnt done anything to it other than put that titanium mountain ascent bolt handle on it. Interestingly, the bolt handle on my 300wm mountain ascent is steel..
I have the same scope/rings on my Kimber MT 325wsm. I think it's the perfect setup for the svelt Kimber. I've not replaced any parts on mine but I did have it Mag-na-Ported and it sure tamed the muzzle flip and twist/torque of the whippy, thin, light barrel on the Kimber. I haven't hunted with it since 2015 when I killed the ram in my avatar pic. I've been bit by the handgun (revolver) hunting bug so the Kimbers been getting neglected.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the same scope/rings on my Kimber MT 325wsm. I think it's the perfect setup for the svelt Kimber. I've not replaced any parts on mine but I did have it Mag-na-Ported and it sure tamed the muzzle flip and twist/torque of the whippy, thin, light barrel on the Kimber. I haven't hunted with it since 2015 when I killed the ram in my avatar pic. I've been bit by the handgun (revolver) hunting bug so the Kimbers been getting neglected.

I’d like to do some revolver hunting but havnt gotten around to it yet.

fatbacks

WKR
Sheep rig that's headed to the Brooks Range with me this year. Just Swapped out the bottom metal to Hawkins new Hunter DBM and it solves any issue one my have with feeding a short action magnum - would highly recommend. Chambered in 7 SAUM.

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2400.JPG

madcalfe

WKR
Sheep rig that's headed to the Brooks Range with me this year. Just Swapped out the bottom metal to Hawkins new Hunter DBM and it solves any issue one my have with feeding a short action magnum - would highly recommend. Chambered in 7 SAUM.

View attachment 308374

View attachment 308375

View attachment 308376

What scope is that? I have a leupold VX5HD 3-15 and curious if it’s worth upgrading to the compact 2-10 NF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
^^^ the NF 2.5-10 is an almost perfect mountain rifle scope, in my opinion.

I used to think so too, I had 2 of them at one point. I found it pretty tough to see the center of the reticle in all but the best light so I eventually moved on from them. Personally, I’d prefer an SWFA 3-9 with a zero stop or that vortex razor LHT if I was searching for the perfect mountain rifle scope.

fatbacks

WKR
man this really makes me want to switch out my snowy mountain bottom metal so i can stop running AICS mags and get the hunter ones

Yeah I love it. Nice to be able to run a flush mag. Also, it is still AICS comparable so you can run all your old magazines if you’d like.

fatbacks

WKR
What scope is that? I have a leupold VX5HD 3-15 and curious if it’s worth upgrading to the compact 2-10 NF.

As mentioned above, I think it’s about the best mountain rifle scope around. I’ve ran the Leupold VX5 as well and glass is very comparable. I wanted the most robust scope I could get and night force was near the top of the list in that category. Both scopes very capable but a robust scope was the main driver in my decision.

On my uber light mtn rifle I run a Leupold VX3 2.5-8. Super light but I don’t dial a lot with it and keep shots closer in. Also a nice scope for its intended use in my opinion.