Show me your sheep rig

It has been my observation over the years that resident hunters in AK (and likely Canada) that have dedicated mountain guns tend to gravitate towards the shorter/lighter end of the spectrum. What I've seen in the field of late seems like lots of Kimbers and a fair number of Tikka's, mostly with lighter mid-range scopes. I'd say Leupold has historically been the main choice. In the pre-Kimber era, I would say mountain rifles were most commonly Remingtons, and of course there are still plenty of 700's and 700 clones about.

There are also plenty of people just using whatever they happen to have. I carried a Ruger 77 for a number of hunts, and it marked up a couple sheep.

Non-residents by and large seem to follow the sportsman show trends a little more and in my un-scientific observations carry larger guns with much larger scopes. 10+ years ago, I saw a surprising amount of RUM's and other big magnums (STW, etc) in the guide camps but that then seemed to morph into Gunwerks type rifles more recently. The 7 LRM was a thing for at least one year. I don't spend as much time around guide camps as I used too, but 26" barrels and turrets are probably the norm at this point.

Those are broad generalizations perhaps, but that's what I've noticed. I know of some residents carrying full customs and more rarely the heavier LR stuff, but I can only recall ever seeing one non-resident carrying a Kimber in the field.

I'd like to think the next innovation in sheep rifles is going to be a truly light folding chassis stock set up. Being able to shorten the package has some appeal. I'm also surprised I haven't seen a picture of a sheep taken by an AR yet, although I'm sure it's happened.

The lightweight folding chassis is exactly what I am working on for my go-to hunting bolt gun right now. I received my MDT LSS-XL long action chassis this morning and plan to run a folding stock later on. The end goal will be two different buttstocks - one with all the bells and whistles for target/plinking use and a lightweight barebones stock for hunting use. The two can be swapped out pretty quick since there are no buffers and springs to deal with.

Will post a pic tonight once I get it together.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Im giving serious consideration to getting something in 300wsm for this year, we'll see how fishing season treats me. Last year it was a kimber montana 308.

The lightweight folding chassis is exactly what I am working on for my go-to hunting bolt gun right now. I received my MDT LSS-XL long action chassis this morning and plan to run a folding stock later on. The end goal will be two different buttstocks - one with all the bells and whistles for target/plinking use and a lightweight barebones stock for hunting use. The two can be swapped out pretty quick since there are no buffers and springs to deal with.

Will post a pic tonight once I get it together.

I had a Christensen MPR in my hands the other day. The folding system on that one was slick. Had a magnetic catch to hold it closed and laid very flat against the action covering the bolt handle.

It seemed like the overall gun though would have issues though as a field rifle. The carbon fiber hand guard was ridiculously slick, and was clearly designed with a bias towards shooting off a bipod rather than from field positions. I'd be slapping some grip tape on that just to make it remotely workable. The adjustable butt stock was neat, but I'd settle for less adjustments and lighter weight.

What is driving chassis stocks right now though is precision shooters rather than hunters. A few more generations, and I think the industry will be there.

@Yellowknife

Have not shot it yet; but there it is bolted together.

Remington 700 in 300 WM in an MDT LSS-XL v2 chassis. The scope is currently a simple Leoupold VX3 3-9x30 setup. This summer will see a better bolt/firing pin setup and trigger upgrade. Currently the barrel is a Green Mountain barrel that a gun builder friend chambered and turned for me at 21". The profile is super heavy at 1.2" from the chamber to the tip. I am most likely going to have it turned down to 1" all the way out now. It is still pretty heavy at 12 lbs so turning the profile down should drop a little over a pound.

Remington 700 300WM with MDT LSS-XL chassis.jpg

Snyd

WKR
DCUA Sheep Rigs, 2006. Rifle is my Kimber 325wsm. The past few years I've been on a quest to get one with one of my wheelguns. Packed my 45 Colt Bisley Hunter with 2X scope on 2 trips. No shot yet. If I make it to the Sheep Mtns this year it will be with the Freedom Arms 454 with 4X Leupold. Trip fell through last year.
Sheep-Bikes.jpg

Sheep-Carts.jpg

P8120071.jpg

IMG-0601.jpg

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I originally was looking at Tikka but once I laid eyes on Sako Finnlight I pretty much knew that was what I wanted. My Sako is a 300 WSM. It is super light but you can see the quality construction as soon as you pick it up! It's been great for everything from pronghorn, mtn goat, deer, moose, dall sheep, bighorn sheep, elk, to black bear. For being a light rifle it hardly even kicks!

I tried a 300 Winchester barrel on a TC Encore and it just about broke my jaw and shoulder! I returned it the day after I shot it one time!

OP
O
Depends on where you are planning on heading. Urs out of Muncho is a pretty good pilot.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high on a stone sheep though, but goats shouldn't be a problem.

I live in Alberta so Stone Sheep is not allowed. I can hunt Goat though. He would be after the Stone.

Jimbob

WKR
I used my T3 lite in 30-06 with leupold 2-7x33 on my ram this year. 2 shots from 300 yds and he was done.

Also just got a Rem 700 in .308 and I cut the barrel to 18.5 “. Same scope as the tikka and it weighs 5 ozs less.

My plan is to put some more money into the rem and lighten it up. Right now I need another pack and shelter so the rifle will have to do as is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O
Beauty thanks for sharing. What model of Rem 700 did you pick up to start your new build and what else are you thinking of doing to it? I think a shorter barrel is a great idea as it does not get caught in branches as much on your way up and through the tree line and saves weight. Every time I think about getting a magnum I can't help but envision a 26 inch barrel taking down half the forest and raining pine needles down my neck.

Jimbob

WKR
Rem SPS at close out sale.

1. Wildcat stock - save ~ 5 ozs (also gain accuracy)
2. Add trigger tech
3. Flute barrel - 3 ozs?
4. Flute bolt and skeletonize handle 1.5 ozs?

The first two I would really like to do 3 or 4 might not ever happen.

With the shorter barrel the gun handles great and it is a breeze to carry. It did not like factory Nosler Accubonds but Hornady Interlocks shot great.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My "sheep" rifle seems to change just about annually due to my rifle ADD :)

This year its gonna be either of these:
Kimber "Montana" in 6.5 CM:
S9tdcXS.jpg

EeMGyPv.jpg

Yes it is a 16 oz scope on there but its still less than 5.25 pounds scoped and I happen to like the little weaver a bit more than the Leupolds I have used in the past so it'll do for now.

The other option is the Tikka 300 WSM:
w6RfXft.jpg

Dm8RSbh.jpg

No doubt either will work. Just more or less depends on the trip for sheep I guess.

OP
O
My "sheep" rifle seems to change just about annually due to my rifle ADD :)

This year its gonna be either of these:
Kimber "Montana" in 6.5 CM:
S9tdcXS.jpg

EeMGyPv.jpg

Yes it is a 16 oz scope on there but its still less than 5.25 pounds scoped and I happen to like the little weaver a bit more than the Leupolds I have used in the past so it'll do for now.

The other option is the Tikka 300 WSM:
w6RfXft.jpg

Dm8RSbh.jpg

No doubt either will work. Just more or less depends on the trip for sheep I guess.

Those are some sexy ass options. I have rifle envy! What this at least proves to me is even if I went custom I would still desire for more... :p. Thanks for sharing these Luke.