Show me your sheep rig

fatbacks

WKR
Current sheep rifle is a custom job by Double Broomed Mountain Rifles... built on Kimber action. 6.5 Creedmoor, Lilja barrel, Spartan Javelin Bipod topped with a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 with CDS dial. I haven't weighed it but it is on the lighter end of the spectrum. Shoots pretty well and one shot did the trick two days before the end of the season this past fall.

IMG_5338.jpeg

IMG_6554.jpeg

But then this happened early on during one my hunts this fall....
IMG_6383.jpg

So now considering carrying my Fierce 300 WSM in the mountains because I would not choose to shoot grizzlies with a 6.5 creed.... although carrying a 6 lb (ish) rifle for so many miles in the hills it is hard to get excited about carrying a close to 9 lb rifle. Decisions decisions....
IMG_7051.jpeg

Last edited:

jhm2023

WKR
My go to mountain gun for the longest time was a Tikka in 7 RM with a B&C stock. Now I'm going on my second season with a Cooper backcountry in 7 RM. I couldn't be happier with the Cooper except for the bolt not being able to lock. It shoots 1/4 MOA and is just a hair over 6.5 lbs scoped and loaded with ammo and sling. That weight seems hard to beat in a belted magnum rifle.BROOKS RANGE GRIZZ.jpgsheep rifle.jpg

OP
O
Current sheep rifle is a custom job by Double Broomed Mountain Rifles... built on Kimber action. 6.5 Creedmoor, Lilja barrel, Spartan Javelin Bipod topped with a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 with CDS dial. I haven't weighed it but it is on the lighter end of the spectrum. Shoots pretty well and one shot did the trick two days before the end of the season this past fall.

View attachment 86041

View attachment 86048

But then this happened early on during one my hunts this fall....
View attachment 86046

So now considering carrying my Fierce 300 WSM in the mountains because I would not choose to shoot grizzlies with a 6.5 creed.... although carrying a 6 lb (ish) rifle for so many miles in the hills it would be hard to get excited about carrying a close to 9 lb rifle. Decisions decisions....
View attachment 86047
Beauties! Sounds like a good reason for another build... What rounds were you using on the grizz with the 6.5?

OP
O
My go to mountain gun for the longest time was a Tikka in 7 RM with a B&C stock. Now I'm going on my second season with a Cooper backcountry in 7 RM. I couldn't be happier with the Cooper except for the bolt not being able to lock. It shoots 1/4 MOA and is just a hair over 6.5 lbs scoped and loaded with ammo and sling. That weight seems hard to beat in a belted magnum rifle.View attachment 86053View attachment 86054
Very nice I was considering putting together the exact same tikka but I have heard so much negative press about the B&C stock on here. Did you find it an upgrade at all to the factory one?

Last edited:

jhm2023

WKR
Very nice I was disconcerting putting together the exact same tikka but I have heard so much negative press about the B&C stock on here. Did you find it an upgrade at all to the factory one?

I liked the B&C stock. It didn't save any weight but it was a lot more attractive to look at, more durable, and the pachmayr decel pad was an upgrade . It did take 2 stocks to get it right though as the first one I received touched the barrel on one side. B&C customer service was very helpful and got a new one to me pretty quick and it fit just fine.

fatbacks

WKR
I liked the B&C stock. It didn't save any weight but it was a lot more attractive to look at, more durable, and the pachmayr decel pad was an upgrade . It did take 2 stocks to get it right though as the first one I received touched the barrel on one side. B&C customer service was very helpful and got a new one to me pretty quick and it fit just fine.

My B&C stock is on the way back to Midway USA right now. Had it on a Tikka T3 300 WSM and the barrel touches one side on the fore end. Ordered a McMillan carbon fiber drop in instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snyd

WKR

View attachment 86041

Hey I recognize that range :D New sheep rig, Freedom Arms 454 Casull 4X Leupold.

IMG-0591.jpg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the poor mans version of that revolver, ruger super blackhawk 454. IVe been thinking about using it to hunt more this year.

Snyd

WKR
I want to see what that briefcase looks like after five rounds with the revolver rested like that 😀

Nice set up.

You know, the dang thing is holding up good! And to both 454's. Just some soot on the end of it.

IMG-0510.jpg

Snyd

WKR
I have the poor mans version of that revolver, ruger super blackhawk 454. IVe been thinking about using it to hunt more this year.

One of the new Bisleys huh?! Nice. I have a Ruger 45 Colt Bisley Hunter and it's fantastic gun. If you're serious about handgun hunting and the 454, you NEED a Freedom Arms someday!! I've had this one for a year.

I tell you what, these FA guns are so accurate it's scary. Here is a 12" steel that I was shooting off that briefcase rest at 205yds. 340gr 1535fps. 4 shots, missed the 5th. Then shot it a bunch more that day gettin ready for moose hunting. Didn't see one stinkin bull! :mad:

IMG_0595.jpg

gfb0904

FNG
Gonna give this a shot this year. It’s a TC Encore in 7mm-08 with a 20” barrel from Match Grade Machine. Total length is 34-1/4”. Scoped it’ll weigh somewhere around 6-1/2 lbs. If I swap stocks and flute the barrel I’ll be under 6 lbs easily. Best part, I have under $800 into the gun.

4LneMnD.jpg

The main reason for the swap 👇🏼

The .270 she shot her bear and caribou with.
wpK4aWq.jpg

qWit85I.jpg

And yes those are hunting pajamas 😂

The TC Encore in 308Win worked out well for my wife a few years back.

Attachments

• 1425652_624751634254939_1044559505_n.jpg
    1425652_624751634254939_1044559505_n.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 137

bradb

WKR
Freedom arms cylinder gap is bank vault tight so probably not a ton of cutting going on!