Show me your sheep rig

BAKPAKR

WKR
Freedom arms cylinder gap is bank vault tight so probably not a ton of cutting going on!
My only experience has been with S&Ws and Rugers over knees and truck hoods. They aren’t that tight 😀. It would still be fun to hunt sheep with one. If I ever draw a Montana tag and can hunt the rut, maybe I will bring a revolver along.

fatbacks

WKR
Hey I recognize that range :D New sheep rig, Freedom Arms 454 Casull 4X Leupold.

IMG-0591.jpg

Combat Cushman! Closest thing I've seen to a combat zone since my last deployment.

Snyd

WKR
Ya, the Weekend Warriors make it interesting! I've got a few stories. Fortunately now I can go there during the week in the mornings. No more weekends/holidays out there for me.

My "sheep" rifle seems to change just about annually due to my rifle ADD :)

This year its gonna be either of these:
Kimber "Montana" in 6.5 CM:
S9tdcXS.jpg

EeMGyPv.jpg

Yes it is a 16 oz scope on there but its still less than 5.25 pounds scoped and I happen to like the little weaver a bit more than the Leupolds I have used in the past so it'll do for now.

The other option is the Tikka 300 WSM:
w6RfXft.jpg

Dm8RSbh.jpg

No doubt either will work. Just more or less depends on the trip for sheep I guess.

I have to ask about your 6.5cm. What was the barrel length you went with?
I have an adirondack I want to slab the action, microlight stock like yours with a Ti bolt handle.
What handloads and velocities are you getting for your prime loads?

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
sheep 2018 3.jpg

This is my Blaser R8 in .30-06 on a rock in the Brooks range from last year. The stock is a custom carbon fiber stock, painted by a guy I met on 24hourcampfire. Amazing accuracy and a heavy scope worth carrying for me (Swaro Z8i).

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is my Blaser R8 in .30-06 on a rock in the Brooks range from last year. The stock is a custom carbon fiber stock, painted by a guy I met on 24hourcampfire. Amazing accuracy and a heavy scope worth carrying for me (Swaro Z8i).

Who makes the stock? The R8 intrigues me, but the stocks are a bit heavy.

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
It’s from Christiansen Arms Europe
It cut the weight of that rig from 9lb 6oz to 8lb 3oz (Rifle +scope+mount)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
All buttoned up and ready for this season, cannot wait!

27c66b135bf53fa96a926fed97425d1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are the specs on that TC? I have had one sitting in the safe scope less for 5 years, yours made me give mine a second thought.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are the specs on that TC? I have had one sitting in the safe scope less for 5 years, yours made me give mine a second thought.

Pro Hunter Action
MGM Barrel 7mm-08 @ 20” length
Talley One Piece Rings
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40
-Weight with sling is 6-1/2 lbs, I’ll likely get in under 6 in the near future with some fluting and swapping the stock.
-Total length is 34-1/4”, it fits completely inside my Fulcrum without disassembly.

mt100gr.

WKR
Pro Hunter Action
MGM Barrel 7mm-08 @ 20” length
Talley One Piece Rings
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40
-Weight with sling is 6-1/2 lbs, I’ll likely get in under 6 in the near future with some fluting and swapping the stock.
-Total length is 34-1/4”, it fits completely inside my Fulcrum without disassembly.

I just got done tearing mine down and weighing everything. Then I jammed out the custom order form on MGM....and checked back for your reply.

I still have some head scratching to do, but you may be breathing life into a rifle I really want to like that just needs an edge to get exciting.

The total length is exactly what I am looking for!! what stock swap is available? Thanks for the info.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got done tearing mine down and weighing everything. Then I jammed out the custom order form on MGM....and checked back for your reply.

I still have some head scratching to do, but you may be breathing life into a rifle I really want to like that just needs an edge to get exciting.

The total length is exactly what I am looking for!! what stock swap is available? Thanks for the info.

I’m looking at the plain synthetic model without the recoil stuff in it. Should drop a few ounces. MGM’s standard taper is borderline a bull barrel. Aggressive fluting will save some weight for sure.

I’ve got 70 rounds through it and it keyholes Nosler 120 BT’s consistently.

mt100gr.

WKR
I’m looking at the plain synthetic model without the recoil stuff in it. Should drop a few ounces. MGM’s standard taper is borderline a bull barrel. Aggressive fluting will save some weight for sure.

I’ve got 70 rounds through it and it keyholes Nosler 120 BT’s consistently.

Hmmm....I always like me a good rabbit hole when it comes to shaving ounces. Thank you.

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
My “other” sheep rig made me famous.....ok, legendary.....(heavy tongue in cheek). I had this .260 Rem made by HCR for a 2014 trip. Fabulous accuracy....laid in a sheep bed for over an hour waiting for the big boy to stand up. Happened upon the HCR website to see me on the cover
96a780f5a3fcaa2586ec3cf421009194.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk