Show me your sheep rig

BAKPAKR

WKR
I am not too worried about it. However, up until yesterday, when I found out I did not have a 24.3”barrel, I was wondering how some people were cutting 3-4 inches off their Superlites🤔

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
Boy there's a gob of posts here! My sheep "rig" is my 2 legs plus Sako Finnlight in 300 WSM. It's pretty darn light and not a whole lot of kick for a 30 caliber. It's done me well so far for dall, bighorns, and mtn goats.

OP
O
Update and pics.

Tikka 6.5 lite topped with Leupold American Marksman 3-9 LRD. 7.5#s and is very reliable out to 500 with holdovers.

Tikka 7 mag, B&C stock, Atlasworks bottom metal, nightforce shv 3-10. 8.5#s. This thing is a beauty and the B&C stock is much nicer than I had built in head based on reviews. Far nicer and more comfortable stock than factory. Very happy with how this turned out just bolting together.

Don't know what I am taking into the hills this year!

Attachments

• IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1591.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1592.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1597.JPG
    IMG_1597.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 144

3morefor4

FNG
Update and pics.

Tikka 6.5 lite topped with Leupold American Marksman 3-9 LRD. 7.5#s and is very reliable out to 500 with holdovers.

Tikka 7 mag, B&C stock, Atlasworks bottom metal, nightforce shv 3-10. 8.5#s. This thing is a beauty and the B&C stock is much nicer than I had built in head based on reviews. Far nicer and more comfortable stock than factory. Very happy with how this turned out just bolting together.

Nice!!

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Update and pics.

How did your 7mm Rem shoot. My Tikka Superlight in factory stock is getting 2" perfectly Horizontal 5 shot groups. Wonder if I have a bedding problem?

Sykes

WKR
I'll keep dreaming of a sheep hunt but just in case the stars align I'll be ready with my CA Ridgline 6.5 PRC with a Mesa precision altitude stock. 7.5 pounds with the VX6HD 3-18x44 20190426_140000.jpg

OP
O
How did your 7mm Rem shoot. My Tikka Superlight in factory stock is getting 2" perfectly Horizontal 5 shot groups. Wonder if I have a bedding problem?

I only shot one factory load with it so not a great indicator, but it did hit very predicable out to 550 yards the first time I took it out. I did not play around with groups to much after zeroing.

What kind of rest are you using for groupings? Horizontal stringing is usually a result of breathing. Are you releasing the round fully exhaled?

If you think its bedding try this:

Pull action from stock
Reseat action in bedding block. Hold down firm on action/stock and give the but a few good drives into the ground.
Tighten up the action screws with a torque driver up to 60 in/lbs. (I go just until it is loose tight on each one then half turn at a time until I reach torque spec)

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I only shot one factory load with it so not a great indicator, but it did hit very predicable out to 550 yards the first time I took it out. I did not play around with groups to much after zeroing.

What kind of rest are you using for groupings? Horizontal stringing is usually a result of breathing. Are you releasing the round fully exhaled?

If you think its bedding try this:

Pull action from stock
Reseat action in bedding block. Hold down firm on action/stock and give the but a few good drives into the ground.
Tighten up the action screws with a torque driver up to 60 in/lbs. (I go just until it is loose tight on each one then half turn at a time until I reach torque spec)
Thanks..Pretty experienced shooter, so not bench technique or breathing. I have a Tikka in 30-06 and I might switch stocks and see if it makes a difference.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks..Pretty experienced shooter, so not bench technique or breathing. I have a Tikka in 30-06 and I might switch stocks and see if it makes a difference.
Sounds like stock interference as the barrel warms up? Have you checked the channel clearance? I didn't read back to see so disregard if you mentioned this.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

North61

Lil-Rokslider
The Tikka is built with a pressure pad about 1/4 of the way up the channel. This could be creating some uneven pressure. Time and experimentation will tell. I have time to play with it as I have a Forbes 24B in 30-06 (5.5 pounds) and 25-06 (5.75 pounds) that are 3/4 MOA shooters out to 415 tested yards when the wind is even. Would like the extra pep of the big 7mm though.

I am going to switch stocks to see if the issues settles. If so I'll bed the original 7mm stock, and forget about the MOA warranty which are often excessively difficult to collect on. Any rifle that is even half good can make an occasional sub moa 3 shot group. I have done so on rare occasion with my 357 Winchster Big Bore 94 with open sights. More importatnly will it do it repeatedly and hold zero? This Tikka seems to want to shift zeros horizontally in an inconsistent way. I tried a 6 shot group Friday and got two sub 1/2 inch groups separated by 1.75" horizontally. Shots 1, 3 and 4 went into the left group and shots 2,5 and 6 went into the right. Almost like it has two nodes or two places it shifts to in the stock? All hypothesis at this point. When shooting three shot groups I sometimes get a good group but more often 2 shots very near the same hole (or even touching) and then the third 1.5 inches + away horizontally. Weird.

I really like the Canadian Superlite set up it comes with green cera coating, a fluted barrel, stratus stock and a muzzle break. Weight 6 pounds 3 oz. Really nice trigger. Teflon coated bolt as slick as poop from a goose and a 4 round magazine. Would love this one to shoot. Time and a bit of patience will tell.

Last edited:

mt100gr.

WKR
The Tikka is built with a pressure pad about 1/4 of the way up the channel. This could be creating some uneven pressure. Time and experimentation will tell. I have time to play with it as I have a Forbes 24B in 30-06 (5.5 pounds) and 25-06 (5.75 pounds) that are 3/4 MOA shooters out to 415 tested yards when the wind is even. Would like the extra pep of the big 7mm though.

I am going to switch stocks to see if the issues settles. If so I'll bed the original 7mm stock, and forget about the MOA warranty which are often excessively difficult to collect on. Any rifle that is even half good can make an occasional sub moa 3 shot group. I have done so on rare occasion with my 357 Winchster Big Bore 94 with open sights. More importatnly will it do it repeatedly and hold zero? This Tikka seems to want to shift zeros horizontally in an inconsistent way. I tried a 6 shot group Friday and got two sub 1/2 inch groups separated by 1.75" horizontally. Shots 1, 3 and 4 went into the left group and shots 2,5 and 6 went into the right. Almost like it has two nodes or two places it shifts to in the stock? All hypothesis at this point. When shooting three shot groups I sometimes get a good group but more often 2 shots very near the same hole (or even touching) and then the third 1.5 inches + away horizontally. Weird.

I really like the Canadian Superlite set up it comes with green cera coating, a fluted barrel, stratus stock and a muzzle break. Weight 6 pounds 3 oz. Really nice trigger. Teflon coated bolt as slick as poop from a goose and a 4 round magazine. Would love this one to shoot. Time and a bit of patience will tell.
What optic do you have on that 7mm? What mounts?

I have a very accurate 7mmRM superlite that I've owned for 5 years. 600+ rounds on it. Sorry if you mentioned above, but what ammo are you shooting ?

The horizontal double-grouping sounds like a scope issue to me.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Leupol Vari X2 that shoots small groups on the 30-06 Tikka I took it off.... I don't think it's the scope, nor is it the mounts. However I'll try a different scope in my testing.

Well....I tried a new scope and the horizontal flyers have gone away! I'll keep testing but this looks promising after all. Hornady Superperformance 162 averaging .85 MOA.

Last edited:
My sheep rifle...

APR 6.5 PRC
Lone Peak Fusion Ti action
24" Proof Sendero Light
McMillan Game Hunter Edge
TT Diamond trigger
APR Bottom metal w/ Wyatts mag box
NF 2.5-10X42 w/ Aadmount covers
Warne Mountain Tech rings pictured have been switched out to NF Ultra-Lites.
7 lbs 14 oz as pictured.
how do you like that scope?

slimbo

FNG
Just awesome
Another Tikka T3 in a wildcat here. A 6.5 Swede with the barrel cut to 20”, fluted and cerakoted topped with a z3 3-9x36, a flip flop pad and no sling studs. Empty it sits a bit under 6 1/2 lbs. It found its first ram last season, the rifle also found its first scars lol. Hopefully will be adding a billy come February.

A new sheep/goat rifle joined the Fieldcraft this week.
A custom by Double Broomed Mountain Rifles. Built around a Kimber 84m action and an Adirondack stock.
Chambered in 338 Federal.
Lilja 18” barrel, fully bedded. Tungsten Cerakote.
Trigger Tech trigger.
I topped it with a Nightforce NX8 1-8x24 F1 Mil. scope.
Weight is 6 lbs 2 oz scoped.
I’ll be packing this when solo in high density bear country and when in terrain that I know I’ll be able to get within 400 yards.

2cf1c9af30bff1cb3e641c2536e453d9.jpg

c2367ecb0170990b2054824fe49875b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk